Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
hoffbrew

Rear Patio Awning

My only issue on outing so far is the rear patio awning, I was retracting and when awning got 99% in it stopped, went to extend and it was dead. I checked fuse and it was blown, put new fuse in, hit extend and popped fuse, replaced fuse again and hit retract and popped again.
Took switch off from wall and all looked good. Tried to manually extend with socket on end cap but seems to be stuck? not sure what to do. Anyone out here have any ideas or the correct way to manually extend/retract? Nothing in book or web site.
1 more thing.... On fuse panel, when you pull a fuse out a red led light comes on, but when you pull the awning fuse, red light does not come on.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
matandjen

I am sorry to hear that. Did you check the wiring near the awning motor? Maybe something got pinched and is shorting out?
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
hoffbrew

I am hoping a pinch. Found some trouble shooting on Google, will try some quick diagnoses later today ..... around beer:30
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
navyav8tr

FWIW I had the same issues with my rear patio awning last summer. Extended it and then started to bring it in then, nothing.
I opened up the side to put in the socket and as I retracted it, the socket input on the awning split in two. To say the least I was a little frustrated.
At this point I opened up the motor and saw that the gear had pulled the wire into it and had snapped the wire in two, source of the problem. Never blew a fuse though.
Ended up having to take the whole thing off, throw it in the garage and lug it home that way.
I would take a look to see if the wire was getting pulled in somehow, it might be able to work for a second or two but as you try to retract or extend it blows it again.
Hope this helps.

2013 Fuzion 390
2013 Ford F-350
2006 EZ-GO PDS with Lift

Retired US Navy S-3B Viking and F/A-18C Hornet Pilot
F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet Simulator Instructor

navyav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
canesfan

Now I guess I'm glad to have a manual awning back there.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Now I guess I'm glad to have a manual awning back there.
Had some problem cranking mine out yesterday, had to play with it, has not been out for awhile. Not sure want was struck in it But once started out she came. hit it with some silicone spray and went in much easier then back out. Oh just thought of something, those support arms on the sides on mine are configured to attach at an angle to the back of the Raptor. I seen at the RV show in Pittsburgh think it was a Fuzion where those side arms were straight down to the ramp?? Was this a design change?

May want to crank out that rear awning if have not for a while.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
hoffbrew

I tried cranking but is jammed, looks like in the middle? I can pull on both sides as there is a tad of play on ends. Arms are flimsy aluminum that mount to side at angle. I am taking in Fuzion tomorrow a.m. for diagnosis to the local Keystone dealer.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
I tried cranking but is jammed, looks like in the middle? I can pull on both sides as there is a tad of play on ends. Arms are flimsy aluminum that mount to side at angle. I am taking in Fuzion tomorrow a.m. for diagnosis to the local Keystone dealer.
Mine seemed to be hung up the the side where the crank is, opposite side was opening. Since was opening at an angle did not want to force it I got a ladder and get up there. Only thing I found was a couple very small twigs in that area pulled on that end a little (did not have a BFH with me ) and then it cranked it out all the way. Shot some silicone onto any joints while open. So sounds like you have the same side arms that after awning is open you extend and attaches the rear end of unit. The one I seen at the show had those side arms straight down from awning to ramp ?? Do not remember if there was an attachment clip on the ramp

Lett me know what dealer has to say, Thanks

Not a good thing to be walking around an RV show to long

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
canesfan

I can't help with this. My awning is different then both of yours it seems. It is manual crank only and doesn't have any side arms. It only has 2 V shaped braces that unfold as the awning comes out which supports the awning. Nothing more. It also only comes out to cover about half the patio.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
I can't help with this. My awning is different then both of yours it seems. It is manual crank only and doesn't have any side arms. It only has 2 V shaped braces that unfold as the awning comes out which supports the awning. Nothing more. It also only comes out to cover about half the patio.
Interesting no side support arms to brace awning These arms in question are somewhat hidden in the front of the awning cover after you crank it out, They have to be manually swung out from the front cover, extended and hooked onto the attachment on the rear of the Raptor. They also can be adjusted to either side for run off. Yesterday when I cranked out mine I was concerned that the wind was starting to crank up and I only had those 2 V shaped braces and had not swung out the support arms yet. Only thing I could picture was this awning flying away

Yes does not cover entire patio thought little move than half. Still seems too be a good length to have no side supports

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
canesfan

Where would these arms be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2684[1].jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	5667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2685[1].jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	5668  
Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
hoffbrew

Arms would be located at the end caps, by your Dometic sticker. My awning is made by CareFree, looks the same as yours. Is your awning extended out all the way? My awning seems to extend further. I would take a picture but it wont come out!!! lol
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
Arms would be located at the end caps, by your Dometic sticker. My awning is made by CareFree, looks the same as yours. Is your awning extended out all the way? My awning seems to extend further. I would take a picture but it wont come out!!! lol
Yes the black end caps, but I do not see the brackets on the back of the rig to support those arms. Maybe you do not have the arms but to me seems you would want more support than that. Going to see if stopped raining and test cranking it out again after I said hitting it with some silicone made it crank in easy. Okay lets see if it comes back out a day later

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
canesfan

Lol!!

Thanks! There's no brackets that I see, and no bracket holders on the frame. No, it isn't out all the way. I got tired of cranking it.

I sprayed mine with teflon back when I first opened it and the squeak was more than I could stand, it's what I had handy, so now it's Non stick.

Hoffbrew, did you call Carefree?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
hoffbrew

No, I did not call CareFree, Keystone dealer is 3 miles from work, so I talked to them when I got back. I am sure CareFree will refer me to dealer. What the heck, I will call them right now just to see what they have to say.... please hold, be right back.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
hoffbrew

I did not buy from this Keystone dealer (Freedom RV) because they do not sell toy haulers.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Oh well scrap that theory. Tried cranking it out NOPE again right side stuck played around trying to crank in then out. Came out about three inches then hung up not in or out, went to get ladder then started raining FIGURES. Got it back in after a while. Pouring now satellite out now. From the minute I had on the ladder it appeared that the material was folded and getting wedged in there. Will have to wait to get back up there. Can not imagine having that open and no side brackets.

Needless to say not pictures of where these arms are. Do get pictures of the brackets on the rear where these brackets are, which I did not see on your pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	5669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	5670  

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #18
canesfan

Your weather sux!

No, no brackets like that. No arms. Must be with my gravity water fill. But I DO have a folding ladder.

On a side note, my pear trees are way past the flowering stage and are fully leaved. Yours is still white. Please keep your nasty weather away from here.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
hoffbrew

Only contact info was e-mail. My brackets are not the same as yours. rig is at home and I am at work. I will get a pic when I hook her up in the a.m. Did I mention it sprinkled for about 20 min this morning and now it is 72 and blue sky... oh wait... I can see 1 small cloud out my office window!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Your weather sux!

No, no brackets like that. No arms. Must be with my gravity water fill. But I DO have a folding ladder.

On a side note, my pear trees are way past the flowering stage and are fully leaved. Yours is still white. Please keep your nasty weather away from here.
Lets see:

No Brackets + No Arms + No Gravity Water Fill = Folding Ladder

Equation balanced Can Not have everything

At least recently no white CRAP

Better go see how the Pittsburgh Eaglets are doing

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)