Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

ctpd814,

Do you have a generator option or a transfer switch in your Fuzion? If you do, that type of battery cutoff switch may be a part of that system to keep the transfer switch engaged but yet still allow the battery switch to function as a "normal switch" ??? Just a guess, but there's got to be a reason Keystone installed a "more expensive" switch. I'd think they certainly wouldn't spend the money unless there was a reason......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #22
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question Blah blah blah

ctpo14, Hijacker MBD

OKAY Here goes;

Battery Disconnect Switch (Disconnects/Connects Battery Form Coach)

If switch is/or can be located near Batteries A manual two position sometimes keyed switch is used (MY RAPTOR in the outside convenience compartment) Manual switch which either connects or disconnects the battery from the coach

If designer decides he/she wants to have the switch located near the battery but wants easier access from a remote area, a remote switch and relay is used which is the case for the two of you. As I understand both of you have the remote control switch inside your coach located on the control panel.

So instead of the manual switch like my raptor, you have a small 12VDC circuit consisting of the switch on the control panel controlling a relay which connects or disconnects the Battery.

Depending on the type switch on your panel (momentary or on/off rocker) one or another type of switching relay is used. With ever is used, when you activate the panel switch you should hear this relay click.

MBD you have the momentary switch, pushing it sends 12V to relay until released, so in this case it is a mechanical latching relay. One push, relay is closed next push it is open. Advantage; power is not required to keep it in either state (Relay contacts open or closed) just used to toggle it on and off

CTP014 not sure type switch you have, obviously if like MBD same explanation. However if your switch is a rocker on/off. I suspect you have a standard relay, rocker switch on relay energized (relay contact closed lets say battery connected) Disadvantage relay is energized and using power. Rocker switch off relay de-energized (relay contact open, battery disconnected)

Either of the three methods used connects and disconnects the Battery from the coach. We all know there are devices still attached to the battery regardless of position of switch. As per our previous posts each seems to be different.

MBD; may be hijacked wrong thread

My 2 cents on the topic, Hope this helps
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #23
MBD

No Pararaptor-this the right thread. Thank you for the information. I definitely learned something!
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #24
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile Ctp814; mbd

CTP814 just noticed in my last post had your call name all screwed up

Did my explanation of the remote battery switch help or did I make it worse?

CTP814 what type switch is on your control panel inside (momentary like MBD or on/off? Also I would think rather than getting out your jumper cables you could have hooked up your trailer cable to the truck just to get enough power to energize that battery disconnect switch. Again seems like all these rigs are wired differently, when cable hooked to truck for my configuration two batteries in truck are in parallel with two batteries in the Raptor.

Are any of you still having issues with this remote battery disconnect switch

Sun has now been out for two straight days in PA, think we are getting close

Happy Camping

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #25
ctpd814

I have the momentary rocker. I should have been more specific. I understand how the disconnect works. What doesn't make sense is what it disconnects or doesn't disconnect. It appears that it only disconnects the lights and the charger. For storage purposes, I would rather have it disconnect everything. As for hooking up the jumper cables vs the 7 pin connection, I chose the jumper cables because I knew for sure that I would have enough juice as bad weather was upon us and I needed to get the awnings in quick.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Thanks

This Battery Disconnect Switch has been a mystery from day one. Example: By Name Disconnect one would assume being "TRUE" or ON would imply to me the battery would be disconnected. WRONG its CONNECTED

Battery is disconnected when Disconnect Switch is OFF

Oh Well maybe its me

Just came in from outside

Disconnect Switch Off: (Battery Disconnected)

Only thing that worked was front landing Gear and I
was able to start Generator
I would have expected the coach DC powered Alarms to be powered (could not make that determination for the time I was out there)

No 12VDC power to:
lights or Fans
stereo
control Panel
slides
awning (2)

Think others said with switch off still had power to slides, awnings, etc

Must have been one of those days at the factory "Lets see how we are going to wire this today"

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #27
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Thanks

This Battery Disconnect Switch has been a mystery from day one. Example: By Name Disconnect one would assume being "TRUE" or ON would imply to me the battery would be disconnected. "
I think it's a matter of interpretation. To me, if I turned the switch to OFF, then I would assume that the battery is now OFF not ON. If I wanted the battery ON, then I would turn the switch to ON. It's a moot point and in the big picture it really doesn't matter as long as you know which way to turn the switch to disconnect the battery.

Depending on the way (and where) the battery switch is connected into the circuit, in the simplest of basic, manual connections (no remotes, relays, etc.), the disconnect switch cuts off the HOUSE portion of the RV - lights, etc.

It is possible that some items are still able to operate: landing jacks for example. The break away switch should really never be disconnected because if you forget to turn the switch back to ON before you leave and drive down the road then you could be in for a surprise.

I think the newer RV's with remote controls for a lot of electrical systems and those with a more complex battery cut off switch mounted somewhere inside the coach or at some "control center" have a tendency to cause problems. While all these centralized controls and remotes may be convenient, they are not without their own and unique set of problems.

It may be that having something as simple as a single dial or knife switch right on the battery isn't such a bad idea. Simple? For sure. Convenient?
Well, not so much.

If this were the case, there would be no need for complicated circuit diagrams, control boards and remotes with artificial intelligence and; heaven forbid, very long discussions about this topic on RV forums.

Heck, we could even talk about the weather for a change. Now there's a thought - but that's for another thread.

Meanwhile, back to the OP's question............
Old 04-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #28
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I think it's a matter of interpretation. To me, if I turned the switch to OFF, then I would assume that the battery is now OFF not ON. If I wanted the battery ON, then I would turn the switch to ON.

Heck, we could even talk about the weather for a change. Now there's a thought - but that's for another thread.
Festus

Yes, Interpretation (wording) Thanks to you problem solved ...
Put a piece of tape over the word disconnect leaving Battery. therefore Battery "ON" or "OFF"

As far as talking about weather, Somehow I think there is a Highjack Police men out there, Do not ask how I know

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
As far as talking about weather, Somehow I think there is a Highjack Police men out there, Do not ask how I know

)
Aahhh, yes there are and Dudley Do Right is there. Watching you.