Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
thewhitehat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Have you pre-read the instructions? Do you have a Torque Wrench capable of 250 lb ft?
Wow! You really need to apply 250 foot pounds during installation?
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #22
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfor9 View Post
Got mine installed last week and finally got to pull with it today. Holy cow what a differance. Trucks passing me with no push or pull. Wind blowing 10-15 absolutely no affect at all. My last hitch you felt everything. Now, besides the weight of the trailer when I start up, I hardly even know its back there. What a great hitch.
So what happens when you back up? I have not installed mine yet so I dont know for my self just yet. My curosity is around the "Bump" you read about, which I can help prevent with setting my break controller, but when your backing into a spot does it Bump at all?

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
unyalli

I question this bump nonsense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
thewhitehat

Never experienced a bump myself. But i'm still wondering what it is about the propride installation that requires a 250 foot pound torque wrench. Only the bracket U-bolts on the Hensley need to be torqued - and only to 45 ft. lbs.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #25
Goingfor9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
So what happens when you back up? I have not installed mine yet so I dont know for my self just yet. My curosity is around the "Bump" you read about, which I can help prevent with setting my break controller, but when your backing into a spot does it Bump at all?

Backing up for me is better because I don't have to disconnect my sway bar before backing up. Just pull up and back up right up. Have not noticed a bump yet but haven't taken it out for a good long haul yet. Only took about 30 miles today
Goingfor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #26
unyalli

Sorry but I have to pick this apart as a previous Propride 3P owner in Wyoming I'm coming from experience towing with insane winds and wind shear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Hensley and/or ProPride hitch will certainly dampen trailer sway
Wrong, it flat eliminates it.

Quote:
but don't be lulled into thinking it controls all the potential sway.
Why not, it does.

Quote:
In a strong gust of wind, your entire rig can still be pushed into the next lane
Correct just like a motorhome or fiver.

Quote:
just as readily as it would have been with any other hitch.
False, False, False there is no comparison with how this hitch joins the two vehicles so they are like one. It's truly amazing.

Quote:
You've still got the same size "sidewall sail" catching wind and still can get blown around under the right conditions.
Correct but it's as a single unit. This is the point. There is no sway.

-Jeff
Old 03-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #27
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
Never experienced a bump myself. But i'm still wondering what it is about the propride installation that requires a 250 foot pound torque wrench. Only the bracket U-bolts on the Hensley need to be torqued - and only to 45 ft. lbs.
See the two big bolts at the bottom in this picture?

I suspect these are not being properly torqued.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Sorry but I have to pick this apart as a previous Propride 3P owner in Wyoming I'm coming from experience towing with insane winds and wind shear.

Wrong, it flat eliminates it.

Why not, it does.

Correct just like a motorhome or fiver.

False, False, False there is no comparison with how this hitch joins the two vehicles so they are like one. It's truly amazing.

Correct but it's as a single unit. This is the point. There is no sway.

-Jeff
I defer to your vast knowledge. I still, however, warn anyone with any kind of "super hitch" that they are still as vulnerable to being moved about the highway as anyone with a conventional hitch. Just be careful in how you "shelter yourself" in your newfound "invulnerability"........ Accidents still happen and hitches don't prevent them they just make it somewhat more comfortable to tow until it happens.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #29
Tinbender

Quote:
The Hensley and/or ProPride hitch will certainly dampen trailer sway and make for much more comfortable towing, but don't be lulled into thinking it controls all the potential sway. In a strong gust of wind, your entire rig can still be pushed into the next lane just as readily as it would have been with any other hitch. You've still got the same size "sidewall sail" catching wind and still can get blown around under the right conditions.
No sir, your incorrect. I can't speak of the Hensley but the Pro Pride ELIMINATES sway period! Unless you have pulled the same trailer with the same TV using a standard WD hitch then done it with the pro Pride through the same kind of conditions you cannot fully understand the difference that it makes.

Yes a strong gust of wind can push the rig sideways but the difference is that the TV/TT react as a single unit as would a motorhome there is NO sway between the TV and the TT, been there done that more than once now.
Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Put yourself in a "too light" tow vehicle pulling a "too long" travel trailer or a "just right" tow vehicle with a "just right" travel trailer using any hitch you want to use. Get into a crosswind on a two lane highway and if a gust pushes you over the yellow line into the path of an oncoming 18 wheeler, the propride hitch isn't going to do anything for the front of your vehicle.

Sway, no sway, acting as one unit, acting independently, it's really a matter of words. Just be careful thinking you're going to be able to tow with one hand on the wheel because of a hitch. Enough said, I'm not responding any further with regards to "not understanding how great the hitch makes a towing experience". Crosswinds push 18 wheelers around on the highway, you're simply not invincible to crosswinds because of a hitch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #31
jtyphoid

Tinbender and JRTJH,

I'd like to go on record as agreeing strongly with both of you. :-D

Having pulled our previous 7K trailer many thousands of miles with both a conventional WD hitch and a Hensley, I agree 100 percent that the Hensley and ProPride are not a substitute for a mismatched TV and trailer.

That said, it does improve controllability in both driver and environmentally induced situations. I have experienced a few, thankfully very few, situations where I believe that the Hensley helped me avoid trouble. For example, I'm a firm believer that emergency lane changes with the Hensley are much more controllable than with a regular hitch. Similarly, getting centered back up after getting pushed by a sudden gust of wind is noticeably easier.

I find it ironic that, in line with what JRTJH has stated, the biggest problem with the Hensley is that it works so well that I had to work to avoid becoming complacent and forgetting that I was dragging 7K of trailer behind me.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #32
Clicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Well that did not take you long, you just sent me a pm earlier tonight.

So just a thought.. Did you order the cover and the extension kit as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sorry it took so long to answer. Yes on the extension kit no on the cover.
Clicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
chartrand

Yes I ordered the cover and extension kit. Had to purchase 2 more link things and did not need to the wire harness extension. The cover is nice but I'm not sure I have it on right.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #34
scuba0331

I installed my propride last year! Awesome hitch! I made my own chain extensions and I did not need the extended wiring.
Buy the covers as it is money well spent on such a great hitch. I put the cover back on as soon as I unhitch. Don't want the little one to run into that beast!
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote