Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
40 Acres

Molex connectors for kitchen slide wiring on Fuzion 342

I'm posting this as a heads up after a little issue we had this past weekend. Long story short, we towed in steady rain for about an hour, set up camp and immediately had issues with our GFI outlets tripping. Next item was the refrigerator not switching to AC and then the microwave breaker kept tripping without the microwave in use. By now I was suspect of the wiring feeding the kitchen slide as I knew the fridge was on the GFI circuit as well. I was guessing wires rubbed or chaffed etc. and started tracing the slide wiring under the belly. I was surprised to find two completely soaked molex connectors lying loose in a puddle of water on the corrogated underbelly. Dried them out and was able to get the GFI circuit working fine, however, the microwave line connector actually got hot enough to damage the connector and I couldn't return it to proper function. The molex connectors seem like a good idea, but poorly executed since the wiring is just passed in between the frame and underbelly leaving a nice gap to let water in. The connectors are not waterproof either and apparently should be.

My advice.......take a look at your slide connectors and make sure they aren't vulnerable to water intrusion from road spray. This probably applies to other kitchen slide floorplans as well, but I don't know for sure.
40 Acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
dogger

I don't suppose you have a photo of the connectors? I think I know which ones you are referring to, as I was in the underbelly not long ago to repair a loose hydraulic fitting on the slide cylinder. If it was the ones I am thinking of, the cable ran between the corrugated underbelly and the frame to the slide attached to a spring to keep them from sagging?
dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
crash

Thanks for the heads up,I will check our Raptor out this week end to see if its the same.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Thanks for the heads up,I will check our Raptor out this week end to see if its the same.
X2...........Thanks
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
40 Acres

I have a photo on my phone that I'll try to get posted up. The connectors are a convenient way to switch from 3 wire solid to stranded flexible cable without a junction box and wire nuts. They are self tapping as well. Speedy on the assembly line but poor weather resistance. I've since found that molex makes weathertight boots for these exact connectors. Wonder why Keystone doesn't use them? LOL.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
40 Acres

Broke out the wire nuts and electrical tape tonight and have a working microwave again. I cut a notch out of the corrogated belly to provide clearance for the wires as opposed to them being pinched between the frame and belly leaving a large gap. Next step will be a few more screws/washers to tighten up the seam at this spot and then add a touch of caulk or expanding foam. After that 3 cans of Krylon! It's amazing how poorly the frame/axles and other areas underneath these things are painted.