Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
ocracokenc

looking at buying a 2005 Zepplin

I have owned a few campers over the years ( Dutchman 5th wheel, Sandpiper TT) but I do not have one at the moment. I just bought a 2014 Silverado with a 4.3 EcoTec and I tow a 5200lb boat so I am looking for a camper about the same weight.

I have been looking for 6 months and last night found exactly what I want. It is a 2005 Keystone Zepplin 24 and has rear bunk beds. It is the only camper we have looked at so far that we really like but after a detailed inspection I found a problem.

I first noticed on the rear panel the fiberglass around the left brake light was wavy. Basically about a 2 foot wide path from the roof to the bumper on the left side is like that with delaminated fiberglass.

I found that the inside wall at the bunk beds in the same area is soft and a roof inspection revealed a 1 foot square area in the very corner of the roof is soft. The rest of the camper is solid and looks very good.

The guy who owns it was up front about it and told me about a few other issues I did not spot ( The inverter will not charge the battery when hooked to the truck) and he is willing to reduce the price from the $5000 or OBO starting price.

I restore boats and built my own house so I know how to work on things but is this camper worth fixing? It is in very good shape other than that and has been garage stored for the past 4 years. I do not mind doing work but I do not want to put more money in it than it is worth and I do not want to insuilt him with a unfair low offer. Any input is welcome and sorry for a long first post and hello everyone
ocracokenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

While there are a number of considerations that will significantly change the value of any RV, most banks use NADA or a similar service to estimate the loan value of an RV. For that purpose, they usually require the RV to be in serviceable, operable condition without any significant problems.

The website for 2005 Keystone models is: http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/Used/Keystone-RV

The NADA website indicates that the "average" retail for a 2005 Zepplin 242 is $5450 and the "average" retail for a 241 is $7300.

While these are just "starting point" values, much more should be considered such as damage, broken/missing components, tire/axle/brake condition as well as general overall appearance and condition.

I've always heard that "one man's treasure is another man's junk" so what it would be worth to you may not be the same as it would be to anyone else who may be looking at the same RV.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Scott -
In the "early" days of the forum, there were a few Zep owners to be found and if my memory serves me correctly, some of them experienced leaking with their units. The leakage was not especially minor and mirrors what you are seeing in the '05 Zep that you have looked at.

The soft spots and the apparent delamination are certainly signs of water intrusion. How much other" damage" has been done in addition to what you can easily feel and see would only be known if you were to remove sections of the ceiling and rear wall and inspect what "its like inside there".

Are there signs of wood rot and mold? How extensive is the damage? Does it go beyond what you can see and feel from the outside? If it has been leaking in the two areas that you have found, has there been leakage elsewhere in places you haven't yet discovered?

I would be especially concerned about the presence of mold and I don't need to tell you that this could be very problematic.

Unfortunately, you can't really assess the extent of the water damage just by looking so it would be difficult to say whether or not "this camper is worth fixing". While the price, the size and layout of the unit all sound tempting, I'd be tempted to walk away from it. It may end up costing you more than you realize to repair it and I'm sure there is another unit out there somewhere that would be a better investment.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
ocracokenc

Festus2, I agree with what you are saying. I have saved 10k to purchase a TT and with 2 small kids I would like to buy one and just do some maintenance and use it. I really do not feel like tearing into one and the risk of it being much worse once you are in there is great. I do like the layout Keystone has so I guess I will look further.

I did talk with the guy today and he is only willing to drop it to $4900 and I feel that is high for the work it needs. I was thinking more like $3500 considering what it needs. I will just wish him luck with the sale. Thank you for the help
Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
theeyres

You are making a good decision. Too many problems unless you got such a good deal that you couldn't pass it up.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
ocracokenc

I am thinking about just buying a new Keystone Passport 238ML. If someone has any thoughts comments on that unit I would welcome it. I have looked at so many used trailers and they all seem to have water damage from lack of roof care. Dealers have campers that in my mind should be parted out for 9k and the private sector is no different. It seems the 238ML can be had for a good bit under 20K. I sure have looked at some junk that was listed as well maintained. It is frustrating for sure.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
KanTC

ocracokenc,

If I remember correctly, the Passport line took the place of the Zeppelin a few years ago.
I (too) was going to suggest that you look for a similiar floorplan in another brand/line.

Lots of Passport owners who can offer input, but in the meantime, try the forum "search" feature. I typed in: 238ML
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sea...archid=1939077

Numerous posts about the Passport 238ML (4 pages, dating back to 2011) & lots of good reading.

Good luck on your search, and a belated to the forum.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
mcsearch1

We purchased our 2012 Passport from a dealer this summer. It was in like new condition. A used late model TT may be a good option for you that falls somewhere between the problems that come with an older unit (I had a 2000 Coachmen Futura) and the expense of a new unit. Buying from a reputable dealer gave me some confidence, possibly misplaced, that the unit would be in good shape. So far we have not been disappointed.

Good luck.
2 dogs
No sleep
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote