Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Vidorcom

Electric Water Heater?

Went camping this weekend and figured out water heater is not working when on Electric. Opened up the panel and the breaker was turned off. I switched to on and still nothing. When Purchased this trailer was winterized, am I missing any other location that I need to turn on?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Scarpo

What heater do you have? I have a SW10DE, and there is a small rocker switch in the heater just below the gas valve that needs to be turned on for the electric element to work. You can also check the reset buttons just above the rocker switch.
Scarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
jje1960

Electric heater

X2, look on the water heater itself, accessed outside, you should see a rocker switch, possibly with a pin retainer to hold it in the propane position. When you find it, little hint we have found, if you want really fast recovery and have full hookups, use both propane and electric at once, the water will be hot extremely quickly.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
X2, look on the water heater itself, accessed outside, you should see a rocker switch, possibly with a pin retainer to hold it in the propane position. When you find it, little hint we have found, if you want really fast recovery and have full hookups, use both propane and electric at once, the water will be hot extremely quickly.
This ^^^^^
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

On many, but not all Suburban water heaters, there is a small, black rocker switch that has been referred to in the above posts. As already mentioned, the switch has provisions for a cotter pin which should be inserted when your water tank is empty. This is a safety precaution to prevent your HW tank from being heated by 110v when you are plugged in but your tank is empty. You may, for example, want to use 110v during the winter when your have winterized your unit and drained your HW tank. Having this switch in the OFF position and locked with the cotter pin prevents the accidental switching on of your tank.
You can have this switch in the OFF position and still use propane. The switch must be in the ON position to heat the tank by electricity.
Not all units have this exterior rocker switch so if you cannot find it, your HW heater may not have this feature.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
rojoslay

water heater

I went through the same thing this past weekend. First I had to find the by pass line to fill the water heater tank. It was placed behind a wood panel. I did not try the reset buttons to get the electric water heater to work. Will try this weekend.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Western Traveler

Wow, The search function really is my friend!

Thought I was given a propane only W/H when only the propane came on even with the breaker on.
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Al Sandoval

Thanks to you. I got Hot water whitouth using my Propane manual did not tell me this
Al Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #9
abneynormal

good

I almost burnt up the element when I figured out there is a bypass valve behind the water heater. mine only has the switch on the outside. I usually just click the breaker off when im on 30 amp service. note the lpg may not always start turn it off and on a couple of times till it fires.