Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2023, 07:20 AM   #1
Weldon

Illegal to Use Uhaul to Tow TT?

Is it legal to tow a TT with a Uhaul? Don't really see why it wouldn't be legal, but I've never seen it until this morning in rush hour traffic. Tried to attach pic but won't work. Currently in Lagrange GA at Biblical History Museum with kids' school. The uhaul was a very small box truck. TT was a Wildwood ultra lite, approximately 30 feet. No WDH, using the uhauls ball only. Looked unsafe regardless of legality. Will try pic again from Great Wolf Lodge later.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:02 AM   #2
Martian

Not sure if it is illegal as I have seen U-Hauls with all sorts of things towed behind them. If towing was not legal I doubt they would put a hitch ball on them.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #3
travelin texans

I'd bet $$ U Haul didn't know what they intended do with their truck. But nowadays people are so entitled that "I paid to use it can use it however I please!".
I've towed U Haul trailers of all kinds behind U Haul trucks but never a rv. Not sure I would without the proper WDH regardless of rv or U Haul size.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:23 AM   #4
Lee

Hi,

Years ago when my truck was in the shop,.... and I needed to move my TT, I called U-Haul.

I specifically asked if their 3/4 ton pickups had at least Class-III hitches and the 7-pin plug. The kind Lady in India assured me it did so I reserved it.

When I got to the U-Haul store to pick it up,..... the truck had neither!!!!!!!!!

Had a 4-pin plug and a ball on the bumper.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:25 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I've never seen a U-Haul truck, cargo van or "large truck with the cab-over extension that has a brake controller. All the U-Haul car carriers and heavier trailers have hydraulic surge brakes.

To me, that means that U-Haul trucks aren't equipped to "LEGALLY" tow a trailer that weighs more than the state maximum allowed without brakes (usually 3000 or 3500 pounds, depending on state). So don't see how they could tow a 30' travel trailer with electric brakes "LEGALLY"....

Of course, since it will "pull it without overheating or dropping the transmisison" no doubt some people will rent that $19.99 per day truck and haul or tow most anything that will physically connect behind it......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #6
Weldon

Since I'm on my cell, pic will probably be sideways. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_075558.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	45254  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:21 AM   #7
Max23

Truck appears "big" enough to do it but as was already said. No brake controller would make it illegal. Can't imagine why they wouldn't get stopped.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:47 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Talking

Interesting read on another forum site, (not part of the RV Life Pro family of forums). Click here When you get down to about post #12, it starts bringing up the brakes issues.

Bottom line, no brakes working on the trailer, it's "illegal". But ... hey .... it's "illegal" ONLY if you get caught ... right!
Old 09-27-2023, 05:08 AM   #9
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Don't know the situation with the truck in the original post, but there is a local U-Haul facility in my area that can install all sorts of towing receivers/hitches, be they bolt on or welded. Brake controllers are no problem either, be those surge, electric or hydraulic.

U-Haul has similar shops all across the USA from what I can see.

Just my two cents. Be well and safe travels.

Your friend and mine,

John
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:50 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vacation View Post
Don't know the situation with the truck in the original post, but there is a local U-Haul facility in my area that can install all sorts of towing receivers/hitches, be they bolt on or welded. Brake controllers are no problem either, be those surge, electric or hydraulic.

U-Haul has similar shops all across the USA from what I can see.

Just my two cents. Be well and safe travels.

Your friend and mine,

John
U-Haul does have a "side business" that installs receivers and custom hitches on PRIVATELY OWNED vehicles. They do welded and bolt on hitch installations on your vehicle. But, I can't imagine any U-Haul dealer welding a receiver on one of their rental trucks for a one time rental or even installing a brake controller for that matter.... That said, any "renter of a U-Haul" that modifies the truck will likely face one hell of a surcharge if the mods are discovered when the truck is returned after the rental....

Last year, I rented a U-Haul truck to move my son's stuff from his apartment. They went over the truck with a "fine tooth comb" when I turned it in after that 2 day rental with about 45 miles that I drove it. I couldn't imagine the inspector that processed my return would have missed something that significant. They even "balked" at some dust/dirt that I missed in a corner of the cargo area when I swept out the truck that morning. It was maybe 2"x2" in one of the front corners that nearly cost me a $150 cleaning fee. A receiver welded under the truck ????? I'd have owned a U-Haul vehicle cheaper than that "surcharge for damages"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:52 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I suspect the person in the Uhaul in the first post was all of the above; unsafe, illegal, towing without the knowledge of Uhaul and clueless.

In my dealings with Uhaul they are very explicit on all the things you can't do, not so much on all the benefits of everything you can do without permission. I've never seen any of their vehicles with class 3/5 hitches or brake controllers built in to allow for towing personal RVs. Think of the liability can of worms that would open for Uhaul when those folks that know nothing more about towing other than figuring out how to make the coupler fall on the ball then take to the highways! Heck, I've seen countless ones simply towing a Uhaul trailer that should never be on the roads. JMO obviously.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:22 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Kinda looked like a 17' truck. From the U-Haul website, it says that truck has a 10K lb. towing capacity. That kinda says it must have a brake controller and pigtail for the trailer's brakes and lights? https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/17ft-Moving-Truck/

Why would they say 10K towing capacity without a trailer brake controller or pigtail for lights also?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:37 AM   #13
PolarisCobra

I think you just need to look at the Terms & Conditions for a UHaul rental, to see if they allow towing.

If it says you can't, question is answered. If it doesn't say anything, you have a grey area for sure.

If there isn't a brake controller, you could use one of the Curt bluetooth controllers and be fine I think.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...RT/C51180.html
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Kinda looked like a 17' truck. From the U-Haul website, it says that truck has a 10K lb. towing capacity. That kinda says it must have a brake controller and pigtail for the trailer's brakes and lights? https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/17ft-Moving-Truck/

Why would they say 10K towing capacity without a trailer brake controller or pigtail for lights also?

I don't know what they may put on some of them....they may have select units they can tow with. I have seen Uhaul trucks pulling Uhaul trailers so there's probably some kind of carve out for that. I've never seen one pulling an RV and can't conceive that they would allow that - the paperwork would spell it out I'm sure.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know what they may put on some of them....they may have select units they can tow with. I have seen Uhaul trucks pulling Uhaul trailers so there's probably some kind of carve out for that. I've never seen one pulling an RV and can't conceive that they would allow that - the paperwork would spell it out I'm sure.
Don't know... just saying that they claim 10K lbs tow rated for the 17" box truck. I didn't say I was going to sell my F350 and rent one although no more than we have been camping this summer, might be cheaper. Hmmm would have to get one of those 5th wheel dolly things... would be the talk of any campground.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:58 PM   #16
Ramtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Uhaul trailers have surge brakes on them so no need for any of their trucks to have brake controllers.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:24 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtop View Post
Uhaul trailers have surge brakes on them so no need for any of their trucks to have brake controllers.
I think if the trucks have surge brakes, that won't help stop a trailer and if the truck is rated to be able to tow 10K lbs., any trailer over 3K lbs. needs to have brakes and these would be electric brakes and need a controller.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtop View Post
If they pull and RV surge brakes aren't in the equation.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #19
KSH

I rented a 26' uhaul, also rented a car carrier from them (all four wheels on the trailer). So clearly they do that all day long.. Towed it 2k miles.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:23 PM   #20
Getn off

I have one of the Curt bluetooth brake controllers. Works extremely well. Pricey tho. Didn’t want to wire a hard mount on my Wrangler for seldom runs to Home Depot with my enclosed Aluminum trailer. So, just maybe the guy in the pic isn’t an idiot.

Speaking of Uhaul policies… why am I not allowed to rent a trailer to pull behind my Wrangler when it has no top, or my soft top installed, but I can when it has the super flimsy lightweight fiberglass hard top on? I stopped to rent a motorcycle trailer for a short local rental. Had no doors or top on. They said no, cannot rent to convertibles with soft tops. I argued a bit and realized I was not getting anywhere. I went back home, put on the hard top and went back. They then said I need doors. I asked them to show me where it says in the agreement where it says doors required. Nothing. They rented me the trailer. I went out and bought an aluminum enclosed for future uses.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow