Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2023, 05:56 AM   #1
Crossfire2200BH

Wiring problem with thermostat controlling furnace?

This is a wiring question related to a thermostat upgrade.

I've upgraded from the manual control ceiling assembly on my stock GE rooftop AC to a wall-thermostat-controlled assembly (details below). The upgrade is working really well for AC control. However, the upgrade is meant to control of the furnace, as well. But the furnace isn't coming on. I need some help figuring this out.

The details:
My stock 2021 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2200BH came with a Dometic furnace, controlled with the simplest of wall thermostats:

and the dumb manual ceiling controls (GE RARMN1A) for the AC:

But GE (Camping World) offers a wall thermostat upgrade kit for the AC unit, and the thermostat also supports a separate furnace. (Model numbers RAREN1A Non-Ducted Ceiling Assembly, the RARMC2A Control Box, and the RARWT2B Black Thermostat)

I couldn't find an installation video for exactly my use case, but found two great ones from GE for the very similar ducted version: "Installing the RARED1A" and "Upgrading your existing RVAC with a GE..."

Following a mix of these instructions, everything went fairly well. The GE wall thermostat is controlling the roof AC unit properly. But the furnace isn't coming on when it should.

I removed the very simple Dometic furnace thermostat and ran the two wires from the back of it to the RARMC2A control box, instead. The first video suggests all I have to do is run those two wires to the two Blue/White wires of the RARMC2A. The second video suggests it is important to also splice 12V+ into one of those wires. I've tried both wiring options (with and without the 12V), but neither seems to activate the furnace.

So, two questions, 1) should 12V+ be spliced into one of the furnace wire-to-blue/white wires or not? and 2) what am I missing? What might cause the AC portion to work well, but the furnace control not to work? Thanks.
Crossfire2200BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:12 AM   #2
Emtsrus

How do you have the dip switches set on the thermostat?
Emtsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:26 AM   #3
Emtsrus

Looks like on the thermostat, #1 off is for cool—on is for heat pump whichever one you have, and #2 and 3 are not used then #4 should be off on the dip switch for furnace to run. If the #4 is on, that locks the furnace out of the system.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:31 AM   #4
Crossfire2200BH

Dip switches: OFF OFF OFF OFF

The AC unit is equipped for cooling only with no heat pump. All 4 DIP switches on the thermostat are turned OFF.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #5
Emtsrus

Did you have to direct wire the control box, if so the white terminal is the furnace control terminal. Can you send pics of the old thermostat wiring and terminals?
Old 11-12-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Is your AC Dometic? looks like in the video you have to have a GE AC on the roof.

I see you do have a GE Ac on the roof. The two wires that ran to the original thermostat, Did one have 12VDC when tested?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
Emtsrus

You may have this already but if not, here is the wiring diagram for the control board according to the model number you supplied. Looks like the furnace hooks to the blue and white on the furnace relay. More pictures would help to figure it out if you have all that hooked up right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	45680  
Old 12-10-2023, 05:36 PM   #8
Crossfire2200BH

Thanks, everyone. It is working perfectly, now.

The first of the videos was right. I disconnected the red and white thermostat wires that were previously connected to the OEM thermostat and connected them to the red and white wires in the new thermostat wire running from the new thermostat to the ac control box. At the control box, I connected to the two blue/white wires, one to the red thermostat wire and the other to the white thermostat wire.

Lastly, I found the power reset switch on my furnace, cycled it off and on, and everything worked!

Thanks for the encouragement and insights. They kept me going until I got it figured out.

Tags
furnace, wiring