Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2023, 01:47 PM   #1561
flybouy
Site Team

I will add to John's comment above. Those plastic pex fittings in the photo are about as strong as a plastic spoon. The first thing of any weight that hits that water line will look like a plastic spoon after prying an ice cube out of a tray. Move the partition back or that "extra space" may come at an "extra cost".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:23 PM   #1562
SargeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Removed these "finish" panels under the sink (2 of them) and the bathroom for a bit more storage space.

Nice work on the extra storage space. I do agree about putting something up there to protect the pipes. You may also need to support that 1X2" trim board on the side of that drawer. It may be what the drawer guide is mounted to.

I have found lots of room in my rig that wasn't being used. The two end tables next to the theater seating each had panels covering the extensive amount of empty space behind them. I pulled the panels and put a shelf in the middle on each side.

Then the bottom of the bathroom storage cabinet had a solid panel on it. Behind it the only thing there was where the shore power cord came through the wall and into the floor. That's were I mounted my on board Progressive surge protector.

Under the bathroom vanity, the bottom area under both sides was being taken up by a 3" drain pipe in the back. So I built a pull out shelf over each one for easy access and get some storage room back.

So keep looking, you will probably find a lot more!
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 04:58 AM   #1563
Don77

I Ignored it! It's in the Barn and Winterized!

Don
Old 10-22-2023, 07:46 AM   #1564
Boondocker Dave

Preparing for Winter

A sad day but it's that time of year. Living in the mountains I would much rather be camping and enjoying the beautiful fall colors. Winterized TT, removed batteries, and installed new winter weather cover. I'm ready for an early spring:
Boondocker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:15 AM   #1565
Chrispl36

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Attachment 13973
Out with the stock fan.
Attachment 13974
In with the new Fantastic Vent fan.
Attachment 13975
How did the membrane come loose from the adhesive. I am worried about tearing the membrane.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:16 AM   #1566
Bandit12

We're set up in Hot Springs SD for a while using our new home is built. We've been here for 2 weeks and we've been using the Winegard router for internet. It works, but it's slow and a lot of the streaming TV we watch buffers quite a bit and can be pixelated. My wife and I discussed it and she might be getting a new job that would require some working from home, meaning we need a high speed internet provider. After some research and more discussion, we went to Best Buy and bought a standard Starlink kit. While she did some grocery shopping and I had 5G connections, I downloaded the app and setup an account. When we got back to the trailer it took no more than 30 minutes from unboxing to online. That included figuring out how and where to run the cable from the dish into the trailer to connect to the router. I made a hole at the bottom of the KeyTV box about 1 1/4 inch, fed the cable in there, then drilled a second hole, same size, in the table between the recliners. Yes, the hole had to be that big as the plug is quite large. Plugged everything in and we're online. The app has settings that allow you to either automatically heat the dish or pre-heat it during periods of snowy weather to keep it clear. Yes the initial hardware cost was significant, but it's a one time purchase. From my research, we set this up here as a residential service but we have the option to switch it to roam if we want. Connectivity is better than what we had at our home in California, and the monthly cost is less than $10 more per month. Once online, I was able to go into the app, rename my network (FBI Surveillance Van) and password protect it. It now shows as a secure network. The only gripe I have is the only way you can verify the system is powered is either thru the app or looking at the bottom of the router. Would be nice to have a small power light on the face of the router. Altogether, I'm impressed with this system.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #1567
Chrispl36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
But how often do you have to replace the antenna and the A/C?
I never saw an answer to this. I am glad i am not the only one that cant align my pictures correct.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #1568
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordKey22 View Post
Well, today I drained the potable water tank, opened the low point drains, added the "pink" into the drains.
I was lucky because one of my neighbors gave me a 2-gallon jug of the stuff. He said the stuff did not work for him.
He had gone to winterize his trailer and the jug was frozen. Guess it gets colder where he is!!!
Keep in mind that RV 'pink stuff' always freezes but does not expand. In reality it turns to a mushy substance.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:42 AM   #1569
Buffettfan

Winterized the water system.
Started emptying the pantry.
Started a list of chores/updates before we head south next May.
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #1570
govols380

I watched my wife go back and forth between it and the house a couple of dozen times while burning brush in the fire pit. We're getting ready for our maiden camp next weekend in preparation for another for Thanksgiving.
I think we're going to love the new rig after 8 years in a 19 ft Hideout.
govols380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:49 AM   #1571
LHaven

Came home from a week's excursion into a "new to us" part of Arizona. Finally got tired of the "downhill feeling" along the trailer and tried re-leveling my levelers after I got home. Once I figured out that the "left" and "right" buttons were reversed (guess the control panel was designed to be mounted on a front-facing wall, not a rear one) it was a great success!
Old 10-23-2023, 10:14 AM   #1572
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Came home from a week's excursion into a "new to us" part of Arizona. Finally got tired of the "downhill feeling" along the trailer and tried re-leveling my levelers after I got home. Once I figured out that the "left" and "right" buttons were reversed (guess the control panel was designed to be mounted on a front-facing wall, not a rear one) it was a great success!
How could the switch mounting location "reverse" the indication of the left, right, front or back of the trailer? I think it's "assumed" that the front of the trailer is the direction of travel and standing facing that direction will orient left and right. I guess this is an example of why most folks refer to drivers side & passenger side, road side & curb side, or port and starboard, or even easy & west to reduce confusion. All of those examples are based on the assumption that the normal direction of travel is the front.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:53 PM   #1573
LHaven

As you say,"left" and "right" are too ambiguous (and thus meaningless) to be used safely. I also prefer driver/passenger or curb/street. But the Lippert controls use left/right. and the buttons are in the shape of big arrows, leading one to believe that left is THAT way and right is THIS way. Which is true if it's mounted on a forward wall, but on a backward wall they are reversed. Truly poor human engineering.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #1574
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
As you say,"left" and "right" are too ambiguous (and thus meaningless) to be used safely. I also prefer driver/passenger or curb/street. But the Lippert controls use left/right. and the buttons are in the shape of big arrows, leading one to believe that left is THAT way and right is THIS way. Which is true if it's mounted on a forward wall, but on a backward wall they are reversed. Truly poor human engineering.
You can identify the designer.......
Have you ever been ar a stop light at an intersection where a one way street crosses from right to left? Seen someone setting in the left turn lane with right turn signal flashing? THAT'S THE GUY!
Old 10-26-2023, 12:27 PM   #1575
Stangfire

This past summer I did a few upgrades.

I added a third slide out drawer in the kitchen.
I added a shelf above and below the TV in the entertainment cabinet.
I added a shelf above the TV in the bedroom.
I added a pull chain switch above the master bed so it is easier to reach.

I also added a 1500W inverter in the basement thru storage and ran a permanent 14/2 wire to the entertainment cabinet with dedicated plug. This is for the TV and DVD player as I'm "off grid". No pics of that though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet before.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	45492   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet after.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	45493   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv shelf upr.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	45494   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv shelf lwr.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	45495   Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom shelf.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	45496  

Name:	Light pull chain.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	45497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light pull chain zoom.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	45498  
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #1576
peanut

I reclaimed some of the space in the bedrooms side "closet". Those things, IMO, are almost useless - not long enough or wide enough (at the top) to use as a hanging closet, and no shelves. They are just one big space to stack crap up in - - and it's almost guaranteed that when you want something it is at the middle or bottom of the pile.

Two drawers each side. They are only 10" wide and 14" long. The top one is only 1-1/2" deep and the bottom one 3" deep. I think the top one will be great for things like wallets, keys, change, reading glasses, pens/pencils, small flashlights, maybe my small crossword puzzle books, etc. The bottom will probably find service for rolled up socks, or underwear/t-shirts, etc..

I was going to add another shelf half way up but decided there wouldn't be enough usable space on it to make it worthwhile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	closet 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	45509   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	45510   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet 3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	45511   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet 4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	45512  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:31 AM   #1577
hlh1

Very nice!
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:03 PM   #1578
LHaven

Sleeping in my rig last night, I was awakened at 2 AM by an intermittent, widely-spaced beeping. I went into the main cabin and waited for it, and determined (mostly by the red blink that accompanied each beep) that it was coming from the gas detector. I got down on the floor to read it, and it was the monoxide circuit alarming.

This was curious, as I was using zero propane all day. I'm on shore power for the fridge and WH, with a working converter so the 12V voltage is also up to snuff. I had a small electric ceramic heater correcting for the mild nighttime chill, which doesn't perform any chemistry. If I had had a propane leak, the propane light (separate) would have been alarming instead. Finally, no pets or other flatulence.

Since it had only a TEST button, I tried that. Both lights and alarms sounded, and when I released the button, the monoxide circuit reset itself. I moved my old sneakers farther away from the unit (could it be?) and went back to sleep.

Any speculation? I wouldn't think a 4yo unit would be a candidate for replacement.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:17 PM   #1579
KSH

Replace it, already woke you up once.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:19 AM   #1580
Raptor Dave

Quote:

Since it had only a TEST button, I tried that. Both lights and alarms sounded, and when I released the button, the monoxide circuit reset itself. I moved my old sneakers farther away from the unit (could it be?) and went back to sleep.

Any speculation? I wouldn't think a 4yo unit would be a candidate for replacement.
It may have been the shoes. Have the RV Safe in ours. (less than yr old) Mono and Propane detect. Never had a problem with until I was in hurry and I was taking the garbage out and neighbor stopped by and wanted to get going. I opened the door to our rig and tossed the bag back in and it unsuspectedly landed right up against the detector. When we came back it was beeping and I tried everything to reset to no avail. I had to disconnect it to get it to stop beeping. I searched for instructions to reset and could not find anything. Today I'll put power back to it and see what happens.

Additional info..........
Went out and connected the power back to it today. Green light...all is fine again. We tried everything we could think of when it was beeping. Put a fan in front of it....tried the vacuum trick...waved a magazine in front of it. Would not quit beeping.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote