Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
roadrider10

Propane shut-off

My wife and I bought a Laredo 240MK last week but will not take delivery until next week. I was wondering if there was a remote propane shut-off or do we need to remove the front cover every time to turn the propane off at the tanks? How important is it to turn the propane off at the tanks? I always shut both tanks off on my previous trailer when I did not need them.
One other question please. Where are the water heater bypass valves located? Thanks.
roadrider10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrider10 View Post
My wife and I bought a Laredo 240MK last week but will not take delivery until next week. I was wondering if there was a remote propane shut-off or do we need to remove the front cover every time to turn the propane off at the tanks? How important is it to turn the propane off at the tanks? I always shut both tanks off on my previous trailer when I did not need them.
I am not aware of any remote shut-off for propane tanks available on any Keystone product. During season, I tend not to bother to turn the tanks on and off unless swapping out one of them. If I know it'll be a relatively long period between trips out, I generally shut them off.

I don't think there is a firm and fast rule. A lot of things like this are up to the individual owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrider10 View Post
One other question please. Where are the water heater bypass valves located? Thanks.
Should be on the back side of the water heater, same as most others. Access, if not immediately found, is likely behind a removable panel or drawer. Some near beds have an access hole under the mattress. It is there, you've just got to be crafty in your searching.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
roadrider10

Propane shut-off

Thanks for the reply Steve. The Laredo propane tank compartment looks sleek being built into the front fiberglass cap. Does take a bit more effort to get to the tanks though. We are looking forward to picking it up next week. We will not get to use it until we head to Florida in January. If we have any undiscovered issues we will need to have them addressed down there.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
lenny G

In the back closet on the bottom shelf (right side) you will find an access panel with 4 screws and that will get you to behind the water heater.

2011 F-150 Ecoboost
2013 Laredo 240MK
lenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Bob Landry

I lost a full bottle of propane because of a faulty regulator. I turn mine off.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
eanddrice

I always shut mine off when not using the camper. Don't know why, I've just always done it. I have left it on for the fridge to run on gas while traveling.
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Bob Landry

The marine stores sell a remote solenoid for shutting off propane bottles. I had one on my boat and it was of little use other than being a cute toy, and not worth the cost.

If your tank valves are really a pain to get to, replace the ABS double tank cover with one that opens from the top. They are around $35, much cheaper than the solenoid setup. Reach in, open/close the valve and shut it.. Pretty simple.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
roadrider10

Propane Shut-off

Thanks for the replies. Picked up the Laredo yesterday and found the access panel in the bottom of the wardrobe closet. Looks like the bypass for the H2O
heater is a 1/4 turn valve (black). The valve wing is in the up position but is that open or closed? Does not seem to be labeled. The propane bottle cover is not that bad to remove. Just 4 spin on knobs and it easily lifts off. The cover is actually part of the fiberglass front cap. I do like all the slick features on the trailer. We are playing with it this week and then it goes into storage until our big journey in January. Christmas came early for us this year.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Criptix

Normally the position of the valve handle will dictate the direction of flow on a 3 way valve.

So if the valve handle is pointing from the supply to the inlet of the water heater that is normal operation use. If the valve handle is pointing toward the hose that goes along the outside of the water heater and back to the return then that is in by passed mode.

So in the attached picture the valve handle is in normal operation mode. Moving the handle up would be bypass mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypasskit2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2127  
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
roadrider10

Thanks for the photo and response. That pic is the way the valves on my other trailer work. The Laredo valve is smaller and mounted very close to the back of the water heater. The valve only turns perpendicular to the water flow whether it is on or off. The valve wing/handle is currently in the up position. The valve only turns 1/4 turn (90 degrees) from its present position. The manual does not address the valves operation only saying to turn it. I guess I could figure this out when I dewinterize by leaving the plug/anode rod out of the water heater and pressurize the system again. Just thought it would be nice to know ahead of that time. Thanks.