Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
whcarr

Coaxial junction location

I have 2017 fusion 371 xedition. Having problems with my cable TV signal receiving. Have good reception when going direct from campground cable to tv's but no signal when connecting to cable input on camper. Been trying to find where the splitter is in the camper. I traced from the entrance point, up bathroom/kitchen wall. I have removed all the faceplates, and the roof vent covers to no avail. Any one have any ideal where the splitter might be located. The tv's all work fine using the antenna? But will not work when using the cable. Yes I turn off the booster when using cable. System worked correctly for about one year then started having problems.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whcarr View Post
I have 2017 fusion 371 xedition. Having problems with my cable TV signal receiving. Have good reception when going direct from campground cable to tv's but no signal when connecting to cable input on camper. Been trying to find where the splitter is in the camper. I traced from the entrance point, up bathroom/kitchen wall. I have removed all the faceplates, and the roof vent covers to no avail. Any one have any ideal where the splitter might be located. The tv's all work fine using the antenna? But will not work when using the cable. Yes I turn off the booster when using cable. System worked correctly for about one year then started having problems.

JMO, but if it worked before and it all works on OTA reception, I would start at the cable in to the booster.

If you have the booster with a series of “pig tails” I would look at them. Just did an outback that had no cable in family room, turned out it was a bad booster (TV3 out).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 PM   #3
K_N_L

I fought with a similar problem last summer, good OTA, poor to nothing on any tv via the campground service. I spent a lot of time testing cables , had to bypass the runs with a splitter for a few trips. Turned out that my booster was bad, Called the folks at Continu.us (www.continu.us) and they shipped me a replacement free of charge, they were surprising helpful. Figure that your setup is pretty close to mine. Hope this helps.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
whcarr

My booster has pig tails. Is the booster on the switch itself? I had assumed that the booster only was used when using the antenna.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

The “booster” amplifies the signal when using the antenna. I’m not an electronics expert but there is a circuit board on the back side and all those pigtails are soldered to it. Solder joint could have failed, wire in pigtail could have failed, circuit board may have failed.

I used a coax tester and a spare booster to find the problem in a customers unit (2017 outback).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
whcarr

Thanks for the info. Any idea where the splitter may be located?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have a TV3 out on the booster, you might not have a splitter. The outback had the booster in the bedroom. Second outlet on the exterior wall and third tv was in the family room. Total of 3 TV outs and no splitters anywhere.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

If I understand you the OTA TV works fine, any splitters would be located on the output side of the booster/switch (TV), ie normally there are no splitters in the input side which in this case would be the cable in on the switch. For the cable signal you can be easily bypass the booster/switch. Remove the cable in coaxial cable from the switch, which is the cable going to the outside cable in connector (normally no splitters). Now remove one of the TV out cables from the booster switch. using a barrel connector connect these two referenced cables together. You now have bypassed the booster/switch and are sending the outside cable input directly to the TV connected to the referenced TV out cable .
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
whcarr

My booster has no coaxial cables hooked to it. It's located forward left cabinet above bed. Been looking at various schematics, when there's a remote switch they show a separate amplifier. I've opened every cable connection wall plate trying to locate the amplifier or a splitter. No luck yet
Old 01-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
whcarr

Ok I was wrong, there is a coaxial at the booster, it's was hooked up to a smaller wire and hid in the wall, has a tag that's says tv3? This was a black coaxial cable. The exterior hook up coaxial is orange and runs up thru a wall towards the roof. No labels on the tv nor wall plates as to who is no. 3. The search goes on.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
My booster has no coaxial cables hooked to it. It's located forward left cabinet above bed. Been looking at various schematics, when there's a remote switch they show a separate amplifier. I've opened every cable connection wall plate trying to locate the amplifier or a splitter. No luck yet
The booster switch we are referring to is a single plate with a push button switch and generally a single coaxial connector on the plate. On the back of this plate is a circuit board with at least has three coaxial connectors 1. Cable In 2. Antenna IN 3. one or more TV out. In the case of a singlr TV out you can connect one TV to the connector on the plate itself and to a second TV using the TV out on the circuit board. In the event you would have a third TV you would need a one to two splitter connected to the single TV out on the circuit board. Now the output of the booster/switch is send to two TVs. More TVs more splitters.

In regard to the actual OTA signal amplifier, it is in the head of the antenna. Booster/switch merely sends power to the antenna head

Added: Sorry whcarr was typing while you were, I am very slow at typing
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The amplifier is probably located in the antenna head on the roof. Wingard has a "filter/switch" on the "booster panel" mounted behind the TV (or in the ceiling). That is the power supply/switch unit. When you push that button and the green light comes on, all that "unit" is doing is providing 12 VDC to the amplifier/booster that's "on the roof". As for splitters, every model trailer will have (or not have) splitters as required to connect every TV location.

Now, as for "troubleshooting your specific problem"..... If all the TV's operate normally on OTA with the rooftop antenna, then the splitters/connections to every TV location are intact, otherwise, you would not be able to receive OTA signal at each TV. So, the problem lies either with the booster switch or with the RV input wiring from the "cable connector" on the side of the RV and the co-ax and/or splitters run from that "outside cable connector" to the booster switch. From that booster switch to the TV's, the same "signal flow" is used, so if it works on OTA, it'll work on cable. IOW, from the switch to the TV's is OK, focus your efforts on verifying the booster switch is operational and all the co-ax and connections from outside to the booster switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
travelin texans

I found 2 splitters in the bedroom ceiling close to the bedroom tv, one was orange cables which were for satellite connections that should not have splitters, the other was gray cable for OTA/cable, both connected wrong with the incoming cable connected to the outgoing connection.
Also when you switch from OTA to cable you must go to the tv settings, switch to appropriate input & scan the channels, this must be done every time you move the rv or switch inputs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
K_N_L

I mapped out the connection on my 325, there are two output tv feeds and a 1 radio feed. The bedroom , living room and outdoor jacks were on 1 feed - splitter somewhere, figured behind the entertainment center but never put eyes on it. the garage tv was on its own feed. There is jpg on this thread from last year - I forgot 1 lead , believe it was the radio antenna wire.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=34504

My final test was bringing in known good cable to the bedroom, pulling the lead into the booster and see crappy signals through the booster to tvs. I replaced all of the coax ends but nothing helped till the booster was replaced. Bad thing is with the number of connections (radio and TV) you really cant replace it with an off the shelf Winegar unit.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
whcarr

Ok so I found all the coaxial cables. YES they where in the wall behind the power switch. Got fooled because the coaxial cables where connected to small wires! Thought they where power. Will get a barrel and push one straight thru if that works then a new power switch/board. Thank you for all the help, it really made a difference.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #16
whcarr

There is also a splitter in the wall gotta enlarge the opening to get it out!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
lonewolftx

My plight. . .

So 2.5 years into my Fuzion 420 the booster switch did go bad. We were in Charleston, Spring of 2018, for family reunion over Easter. Here are pics of rig side showing the two cable ports which was in the cabinet over master bed. The second pic showes all the pigtails mentioned in earlier posts. Seems the wiring in the switch crapped out. Ordered a new one on the road and had delivered to next keystone dealer in Myrtle Beach. Installed it and problem solved.
There was a lot of wire stuffed into the slot the switch came out of. Including a splitter (my rig has 4 tv’s). Got it all back into the hole and it has worked ever since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01204BF7-A805-4BD3-B9DF-29A4822ADC69.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	19850   Click image for larger version

Name:	A5CEDAB2-23F7-4BB1-904D-55034BD0F98E.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	19851  
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #18
whcarr

That's my unit. By passed the the unit every thing works. Order power switch for info it's part no.777388970
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #19
rsl

There is a splitter for the cable/antenna side in the wall behind the living area TV, that also feeds the garage TV. You can get to it by taking off the wall plate behind the living room TV and pulling the wire until the splitter comes out the hole.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #20
whcarr

Finally got the booster/wall plate, installed yesterday. Antenna is working, dry camping for a couple of weeks no cable available. Will update when I get to a camp ground with ctv.