Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
TNordine

Towing technique

I am new to towing heavy loads and have never owned a diesel truck before. I currently tow a Montana HC (12k max) with at F350 SRW. While I have felt comfortable towing so far I am looking for some insite on how to best manage the engine rpm for efficiency

The 2105 powerstroke maxes out 860lb of torque at 1600 RPM and the curve remains fairly flat up until 2600 when it really starts to drop off.

For best efficiency (mileage) and wear and tear do I just need to keep the RPM in this range? Upper range or lower range? Best RPM for climbing steep grades? What about turbo boost? Or am I just over thinking the whole thing?
TNordine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The newer 6.7 engine is matched to an 8 speed transmission if I remember right. As long as it isn’t “lugging” or blowing black smoke going up a hill, just drive it. I have an old mechanical Diesel engine and it requires some different techniques to accomplish the same goal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
Fishsizzle

Not to step on toes, Fords trans is a 6 speed. Will go 10 speed in 2020 we are told. Sorry Chuck, I hate being that guy. Lots of us are not looking forward to the 10 speed as the current trans is great.

The 6.7 is a great engine. I love mine. That being said, it does get warm oil wise.

I’ve pushed it driving up and down to Yuma last fall. Hit some high oil temps, but they came down quickly. The truck pulls so effortlessly compared to the 7.3, 6.9, and 6.4 Fords I had in the past.

Just change your oil when recommend. I use BlackStone to keep an eye on oil and what it is doing. They let me know based on their experience when I should be changing my oil.

I will most likely be adding the new Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler on my next truck. It’s suposed to keep temps down when towing.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNordine View Post
I am new to towing heavy loads and have never owned a diesel truck before. I currently tow a Montana HC (12k max) with at F350 SRW. While I have felt comfortable towing so far I am looking for some insite on how to best manage the engine rpm for efficiency

The 2105 powerstroke maxes out 860lb of torque at 1600 RPM and the curve remains fairly flat up until 2600 when it really starts to drop off.

For best efficiency (mileage) and wear and tear do I just need to keep the RPM in this range? Upper range or lower range? Best RPM for climbing steep grades? What about turbo boost? Or am I just over thinking the whole thing?
From my experience set up the trailer brake controller and turn on the exhaust brake and tow/haul mode, put it in D and drive away. The transmission will do the rest. The only time you need to intervene is if the transmission keeps shifting between 5th and 6th, then just lock out 6th. If you are towing within limits the powertrain is designed to handle it and it will. I find scanning all the gauges amuses me and takes some of the boredom out of the drive. Never have I found one out of spec, I think the dash will start glowing and flashing if they do. As far as fuel economy...slow down.

Happy travels
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Not stepping on my toes. I don’t work on transmissions and haven’t been active on my diesel truck forum for a while. I still drive my 1994 F350 with an IDI engine and E4OD transmission and my name on the pink slip.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Not stepping on my toes. I don’t work on transmissions and haven’t been active on my diesel truck forum for a while. I still drive my 1994 F350 with an IDI engine and E4OD transmission and my name on the pink slip.
Just FYI, the transmission tech (he's a friend of mine) at my dealer said these transmissions (6R140) are the best he's seen. He has friends that have installed power adders and the transmissions have not suffered for it. GM techs that he knows tell him the Allison, in it's current form, won't live behind a 1000 ft/lb torque engine. Power add-ons in that range have caused slippage, so unless they make some changes don't expect GM to challenge Ram for the King of Torque bragging rights. He does however believe the Ford transmission is up to the task. As he put it, "If Ford built all of their transmissions like this one, I'd be out of a job." I suspect GM will wait until they go with the 10 speed before they unleash more torque from their engine.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Just FYI, the transmission tech (he's a friend of mine) at my dealer said these transmissions (6R140) are the best he's seen. He has friends that have installed power adders and the transmissions have not suffered for it. GM techs that he knows tell him the Allison, in it's current form, won't live behind a 1000 ft/lb torque engine. Power add-ons in that range have caused slippage, so unless they make some changes don't expect GM to challenge Ram for the King of Torque bragging rights. He does however believe the Ford transmission is up to the task. As he put it, "If Ford built all of their transmissions like this one, I'd be out of a job." I suspect GM will wait until they go with the 10 speed before they unleash more torque from their engine.

Indeed. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the 6r.

I get a few diesel mags to read now and then. One article that stuck with me was a guy who bought a near new F450 (2010) and wanted the “ultimate truck” everyone talks about. (Ford Body, Cummins Engine and Allison trans)

Well the builder put in a 6R behind the Cummins. It was able to handle the amount that this engine was turned up to.

Was a super interesting build.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing