Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
KHBama

Wall Seams

Hey Guys, we picked up our Laredo 285sbh on Monday. We noticed a couple of wall seams that look like they could become an issue soon. Most of the seams are flat but there are 2 that are uneven and just look kind of bad. Any easy fix for these?
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
Your walls are vacuum bonded, meaning the exterior and interior walls are laid over a frame with insulation filler and then “sandwiched” together.

If the two panels feel solid, just not even, then there isn’t much you can do. If one side is lifting off, there are spray adhesives that are compatible with styrofoam. Not a easy fix, is there any seam tape on the seams in question?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
KHBama

Thank you. Yes there is some seam tape. One side is lifted up a little.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone's "select level" trailers (Carbon, Cougar, Impact, Laredo, Sprinter) use a single layer of luan on each side of the vacuum bonded wall structure. As chuckster indicated, if there's a "visible ripple" there's not a lot you can do about it. I've got a couple of places on my Cougar that are like that. They have been there since it was new and we're in the fifth year of ownership with no change in any of the ripples....

Keystone's "premium" (Avalanche, Fuzion, Montana HC and Raptor) and "luxury" (Alpine and Montana) brands use a "overlapping twin layer" of luan on the outside of the Styrofoam. That minimizes the potential for "visible ripples" in the FILON exterior. That "overlapping twin layer" weighs more and costs more, so it's not included in the "select price range brands"....

I, like you, was concerned with the appearance during the first year. I tried to convince myself that the FILON was going to crack at the seam where the sidewall "rippled". So far, no problems and no changes in appearance.

You've got a couple of options, one is to talk to your dealer and see what he has to say (chances are he'll suggest you just watch it) and the other is to "push the issue" and demand that it be repaired. My guess is that you'll do more harm than good by trying to break the vacuum bond, fill in the area and try to smooth the surface. Once Keystone does repair it (if you go that route and they agree to pay for the repair) you can almost guarantee yourself that any future problems are going to be called "cosmetic" by Keystone and they will probably deny any future repairs. After breaking the vacuum bond, I'd guess that you'll be introducing more chances for future adhesive failure and problems.

So, I'd suggest you talk to your dealer, maybe find a "independent RV repair shop" and get their opinion as well before you make up your mind about which way you want to go with possible repairs.

After typing all of the above, I reread your first post and the last one. It sounds like you're talking about the INTERIOR wall, not the FILON exterior? If so, you may be able to pull the seam tape, inject some additional adhesive and brace the wall with a 2x4 to hold the luan in place while the adhesive sets up. Then reapply the seam tape over the joint. Your dealer should have rolls of seam tape to match your interior wall covering.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve seen it in $350,000.00 Class A motorhomes. Probably doesn’t make you feel any better, but it happens to the best of them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
KHBama

Sorry, yes talking about the interior walls. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

After I posted a reply, I saw your comment about the seam tape and thought, "Hmmm maybe he's talking about the interior".... Anyway, walk around the outside and look at the FILON, you'll probably find a couple places where the FILON "ripples" over the luan backing. I've seen a spot or two on almost every trailer I've looked at in the past few years. Don't let that discourage you. As I said, mine is in its fifth year and not a one of those ripples has changed appearance. But, I see them every time I walk down the side of the trailer LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote