Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #21
zuley

I have a meeting scheduled with our President and our S/T for Thursday afternoon to discuss my pending retirement. They have been stalling me since early November. Told Sam on Monday am my date was set in stone so he could delay the meeting right up until the night before I leave if he so desired. Was planning on the end of January. May end up being end of May now. We'll see how Thursday aft goes.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #22
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I found it to be "Twice as much wife who spends just as much money".....
Wow John, I think you found a sure way to end up on the naughty list this year. Mrs. Claus may be pointing out all the toys in the pole barn. Talk yourself out of that one buddy, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #23
66joej

Been retired since 1998. As long as I stay under the radar my govt. superannuation pension cheques and other pensions just keep rolling in.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

In all honesty, Hank, I'd have to admit that we both spend, usually much more than our financial advisors recommend. That said, "SWMBO" is very likely the only reason I have a retirement package complete with savings and investments. Left to me, I'd have probably quit my job long ago, bought a fifth wheel and towed it until I ran out of money and just parked it, hoped for the best and drank another Corona....

It's because of her that we have most of what we enjoy (even the toys in the pole barn) LOL And for the "disclaimer" She hasn't read this forum in well over 4 years, so I'm not making this statement to stay on the "nice list" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #25
labman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I found it to be "Twice as much wife who spends just as much money".....
remember, it is my wifes' definition. Mine is the same as yours. I retired but she never retired from spending money!!
Old 12-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #26
hankpage
Site Team

I refuse to make any personal comments on this subject. I'll just take the fifth .... and empty it an ounce and a half at a time.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Gentlemen, we can twist this any number of ways....and I tried to, but everything I came up with would put me in the doghouse for the long haul; so, I'm leaving these analogies to you guys and I'm going to just grab another Corona - or 3, lay under the palm tree and wait for the coconut to wake me up. Better than having momma come grab me and yank me back to reality....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

We are all heroes and legends in our own minds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
Dave W

Way back. I said 57 (30 years with my company) would be a nice age to hang up my passport and travel bag but as luck would fall, my wife at the time decided that the grass was greener elsewhere so 57 rolled on by. But as better luck would have it, I had by then 'found' Susan. Unfortunately, 57 became 67. We have been together and married now for a quarter century now. We are in our 70s and pretty well situated financially though far from rich as our finance guy keeps reminding us every April at tax time. We are careful in retirement, wish we could have done it a bit sooner but are still enjoying ourselves with RVing and up to just a few years ago, yearly trips to Europe, skiing in the West or a trip to Florida - we owned several pieces of property there including an RV lot but sold them all as the traffic got horrendous near Ft. Myers

I love being retired - I just don't 'love' some of the aches and pains though our health is still good.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Hodgy

Been retired for 12 years now, best job I ever had. As others said I did enjoy my working life but have lots to keep me busy now.

The other morning after breakfast I was in the lazy boy doing a bit of reading. My wife said, "what are you going to do today" ?

I said I am going to relax.
She said "you did that yesterday".
I said, I wasn't finished !

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #31
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

Been retired for 12 years now, best job I ever had. As others said I did enjoy my working life but have lots to keep me busy now.

The other morning after breakfast I was in the lazy boy doing a bit of reading. My wife said, "what are you going to do today" ?

I said I am going to relax.
She said "you did that yesterday".
I said, I wasn't finished !

I LIKE that!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #32
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you're not retired.....get here as soon as you can! It IS as good as they say.

Sitting here in the FL panhandle in a fishing village. Will be here Nov - Feb. Quiet, beautiful, right on the coast (bays etc.). Beautiful folks, laid back, warm.... Just ate a dinner of smoked (on the grill w/ bamboo!!) speckled trout. Off the chain! Come see us when you can!

Hope you all can...as soon as you can! Sorry to all those stuck in the "snow belt".
Just curious... is retirement as good today in the panhandle as it was beginning of December?
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #33
CaptnJohn

At age 20 I started planning for an early retirement, did it at 55. In May I'll be 70 and often wonder how I found time to put in 45 - 60 hours at work every week. Not wealthy, but comfortable knowing we have enough to do what we wish when we wish ~~ if the weather would cooperate. We were supposed to head south today,,, looks like tomorrow. My brother in PA chuckles as we moved to the southern coast of NC and go to FL in winter while his neighbors come to within 30 miles of our home to winter.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Along View Post
Just curious... is retirement as good today in the panhandle as it was beginning of December?
Retirement is good EVERY day!! Now, am I going to run out and fire up the grill? Not today . As far as the beginning of Dec. until now.....we got here on Nov. 1 and the weather, until a week or 2 ago, was like spring/fall weather in TX; beautiful. When the fronts started coming in it cooled off significantly but we just spend a little more time in front of the fireplace; bake cookies; made homemade chicken and dumplings last evening; still fun just different from what we do in warm weather. And.....this weekend the temps are supposed to get back up to the mid/upper 60s. Hopefully 70s won't be far behind

Note: I will say that my daughter was telling my wife about going to work yesterday in Tallahassee. When she got to the office everyone was running around wanting to show her videos of "the snow". Having lived in an area that received many feet of snow a year before coming here she was interested in what they had taken videos of; they were running around outside trying to catch a snowflake (singular) so it could be seen between the camera and someone's coat, or dark vehicle etc. She said it was pretty funny. Then again, I read it was the first "snowfall" in Tally in almost 30 years so it may have been a first for some.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #35
SummitPond

The nice thing about Florida is, if you don't like the weather - wait five minutes.

NWS says it will be in the upper 20s tonight, but the weather is predicted to be almost balmy by the weekend.

As for retirement, I haven't fully pulled the plug (although the DW has) - I still part-time it, but instead of herding cats (i.e., high school) the age group I attempt to educate is a bit older and better behaved, but no smarter (i.e., community college).

------
Formerly ShacterShack - name changed per request of DW so she was comfortable getting a Forum Membership Decal.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote