Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
billorp

Looking to purchase a Sprindale SG252

Hi everybody, new member here and current owner of a 2016 Rockwood Roo 19 Hybrid. This was our first trailer and to be honest, I love it. However, my wife has found a Springdale SG252 (252RL) and loves the floor plan and all of the extra storage and space. I told her that before we could do anything, I would have to upgrade my TV as it was only rated to tow 7200 pounds. It took her 1 day to find a newly traded in F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package, 30k miles, supercrew for only 28k. Well long story short, I now drive a Ford and she expects me to honor our deal. So, does anyone have any experience or knowledge with the SG252? We are looking at a 2018 for just under 20k. Any help would be appreciated as she wants to get it this weekend.
thanks
billorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
earlzach

Welcome from New Jersey!!
That looks like a nice trailer. I don't know anything about them but If the floor plan fits your style and the price fits your budget then look at it close and make it your own.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The Keystone RV website doesn't have specs listed for the 252RL, it's all TBD meaning "to be determined". I found one model listed at a RV dealer in Dothan, AL with the following specs: Length 31' 10", Hitch Weight 735 lbs, Dry Weight 6500 lbs, Gross Vehicle Weight 9000 lbs.

Using the GVW as a guideline, the actual tongue weight (10-15%) will range from 900 - 1350 pounds. So, even with a "max tow" F150, depending on the year, payload, other equipment and hitch, you may be far "outclassed" by that trailer. As an example, the hitch probably has a weight limit of 1100/11,000 pounds, so your tongue weight could be more than your truck's maximum. While this may not be the situation, it's possible, so I'd make certain what you're buying BEFORE signing on the dotted line.

Considering the payload, when you deduct the tongue weight, hitch weight, passenger weight, you may find that your F150 is overloaded before you put any cargo in the bed, a cap or tonneau cover on the bed, or even a tool box in the bed.

That's a pretty large trailer for any half ton truck, not because the EcoBoost motor can't pull it, but because the truck suspension/frame can't carry the load.

I'd urge you to do some serious "number crunching" before committing to that trailer. You may find that you've bit off more than you can chew, and that's not a comfortable place to be with a new truck payment and a new trailer payment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
earlzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Keystone RV website doesn't have specs listed for the 252RL, it's all TBD meaning "to be determined". I found one model listed at a RV dealer in Dothan, AL with the following specs: Length 31' 10", Hitch Weight 735 lbs,
Dry Weight 6500 lbs, Gross Vehicle Weight 9000 lbs.

Using the GVW as a guideline, the actual tongue weight (10-15%) will range from 900 - 1350 pounds. So, even with a "max tow" F150, depending on the year, payload, other equipment and hitch, you may be far "outclassed" by that trailer.

Considering the payload, when you deduct the tongue weight, hitch weight, passenger weight, you may find that your F150 is overloaded before you put any cargo in the bed, a cap or tonneau cover on the bed, or even a tool box in the bed.

That's a pretty large trailer for any half ton truck, not because the EcoBoost motor can't pull it, but because the truck suspension/frame can't carry the load.

I'd urge you to do some serious "number crunching" before committing to that trailer. You may find that you've bit off more than you can chew, and that's not a comfortable place to be with a new truck payment and a new trailer payment.
That is a heavy trailer. I would have never thought it.
Most trailers in that class are 1/2 ton towable. What a killjoy to see these numbers.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with John. I would urge you to look HARD at the numbers. Use the sticker inside the driver door of the truck to get them. Payload, GVW etc. Your truck may have a pretty good payload...for a 1/2 ton, but that trailer could put you in a bind.

Use GVW of the trailer to approximate load and tongue weight (10 - 15%). Deduct that from the truck's payload. What you have left will have to take in the hitch weight (approx. 100 lbs.), people, toys, fuel, camping gear, firewood and on and on.

The truck will "pull" it but "carrying" it is a completely different matter as John pointed out. It will be a completely different towing experience from the Roo. Look at the numbers on the truck, post back and folks will help guide you in the right direction. It may be all "peaches and cream".....but then again it may not. You want to keep yourself and family safe.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
That is a heavy trailer. I would have never thought it.
Most trailers in that class are 1/2 ton towable. What a killjoy to see these numbers.
There's a significant difference in the 31'10" Premier you tow and the 31'10" Springdale. The 252's empty weight, by the time you fill the propane tanks and stash 2 batteries on the tongue will be very close to your trailer's GVW, and that's with nothing loaded in the Springdale.

There's a lot to be said for aluminum framework, bonded Styrofoam walls and lightweight construction. The Springdale is a wood frame, thick (solid) floor conventional construction. That's partly why it is significantly less expensive than the Premier even though they are comparably equipped. It's really much closer to a 3/4 ton truck than a half ton, although you'll find a lot of people who are towing "outclassed" and unfortunately, many of them have no idea they are even close to being overweight.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
XTeacher

We looked at the same trailer, but decided against it, due to it's heavy weight. We opted to go with the lighter weight one in my signature instead. Our total length is just under 30 feet, meaning we can still fit in most state/federal parks.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
billorp

That is a great looking trailer. Love the rear kitchen.
billorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
ckufehttahw

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 rated at 9100 tow capacity and it pulls my springdale thats has a dry weight of 7,700 lbs pretty good.
97 12 valve dually
ckufehttahw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
C424

We got a Springdale 262RK this summer and upgraded from a 1/2 ton GMC to a 3/4 ton. Half ton pulled it ok but there was noticeable sway and I wasn’t comfortable with it. The 3/4 ton pulls much better. It looks like the dominations are pretty close to the same as my trailer. We loaded up for a weeklong trip and the trailer weighed 6380 with minimal water on board. Don’t know if that helps. We really like our Springdale so far though, perfect floor plan for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk