Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #21
travelin texans

Let's go forward!
You've got the ALL powerful "Six million dollar man" of tow vehicles already, now go get your rv of choice, load them both up & head to your favorite camping destination & enjoy! On the way to that spot stop by the scales to weigh it all & then come back on here & post your scale ticket, NO more speculation, guessing or "what ifs" & let us know how much fun it was camping & your towing experiences. We don't want/need dry weights or max truck tow weights, but GVWs of both & actual scale weights. To be honest I think once that's done most on here will say "UH HUH!" & you will be VERY surprised how quickly the weight of your STUFF adds up.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

"Truck is an F150 HDPP, almost 2500 payload, 11,400 tow, so they should all fit."

"But again, how is a payload sticker, and tow ratings “hype”?"

"Don't believe the hype about what its "towing" abilities are,"

The top quote is yours establishing your trucks capability on, in part, its advertised "tow rating". The bottom quote is mine stating the advertised "tow rating/abilities" are hype. The middle quotation is yours mistakenly saying I said the payload sticker is hype...I didn't.

You've obviously convinced yourself that you've bought the ultimate tow vehicle for whatever you are going to put on it so don't let me slow you down. But, remember;

"here we likely be dry camping at least a week at time. Looking at putting several hundred amphours worth of lithium batteries in, inverter, a bit of solar too. Go medium or go home, right?😉" Looks like you may have forgotten that when you posted this:

"we don’t need to pack more than a small suitcase each. Kitchen utensils, coffee maker, pots, pans, flatware, fishing pole, yada yada. 500 lbs maybe. Two ebikes on the bumper will subtract pin weight, but weigh about 150 with the rack. Real world pin weight should come in around 1700, I’m pretty convinced of it.
Hitch is 40 lbs for the Andersen, 40 lbs for the B&W goose ball that it attaches to.
Wife, Myself, Dog, camera and crackers 500
Hitch 80
King pin 1700

2280. Payload is 2450
170 lbs headroom left.
That’s 200 INSIDE the envelope."

"200 lbs. INSIDE the envelope"....your "several hundred amp hours" of batteries will eat that up. And, camping for a week at a time fishing, hiking, biking....and you only need a "small" suitcase for clothes??

Just some items to point out what you don't know what you don't know...unless you already know it all and that, as I and most everyone else will agree that's done it, what you think you need will grow and grow with each outing.

I'm not going to start throwing barbs and innuendos as you tried to do in your last posts. My stats are in the forum somewhere and I'm not going to try to find them for your benefit....Spade117 found my payload I had posted in this thread which is considerably more than you seem to find "on the web" and I'm comfortably well under my maximum ratings...in every category. As far as your comments about everyone would be raving about a diesel F250 with lower payload ratings saying it was a great tow vehicle....please search the forum. You will find that it is repeatedly addressed here and the low payload ratings of those trucks is well known.

So, as Danny said in his last post, lets move forward and go grab that fifth wheel, take a couple of trips and load it up like you want with everything you really need then hit the scales and post back here. Spool those turbos up on that little 6 cylinder and hit the hills.....just hope that one doesn't implode and leave you with that non turbo 200 hp 200 ft. lb. of torque and an 8k repair bill.

The quote below is the only reason I commented on your situation and questions. You apparently have your mind made up so there is no need to try to make further observations or post concerns for you;

"Want to make sure you understand what you are getting into and that you get to enjoy the money you spend instead of unleashing a wave of worries and problems when you make the wrong choice because you didn't know."
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

It's a Cinderella syndrome, he has the shoe and now he's looking for a foot to fit in it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's a Cinderella syndrome, he has the shoe and now he's looking for a foot to fit in it.
Very good analogy!
Except he has the little tiny Cinderella slipper tow vehicle trying fit the big fat foot of the ugly step sister rv on behind it & swearing it's a perfect.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Geesh. The guy didn't agree with some of the site gurus so the pack jumps on again. Try and be polite and friendly and folks might just want to come back. If you make a point, you don't have to get pointed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #26
meaz93*

Its pretty apparent that you havent had much experience with the F150 Ecoboost.
We get it....you tow with a diesel pickup, and whatever 5th wheel rig you have>That's nice.
Their is a reason why RV manufacturers make "1/2 ton towable trailers".
Obviously not for you and the others.
Instead of berating the OP on his truck that you describe as some type of incapable little V6.....cinderella /slipper?
You might yourself do a little research on the subject, just so you are little more informed and in turn can actually steer him towards a trailer that you think will fit his needs
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Its pretty apparent that you havent had much experience with the F150 Ecoboost.
We get it....you tow with a diesel pickup, and whatever 5th wheel rig you have>That's nice.
Their is a reason why RV manufacturers make "1/2 ton towable trailers".
Obviously not for you and the others.
Instead of berating the OP on his truck that you describe as some type of incapable little V6.....cinderella /slipper?
You might yourself do a little research on the subject, just so you are little more informed and in turn can actually steer him towards a trailer that you think will fit his needs
Uh-Oh, here we go! I will say that the term "half ton towable" is kind of funny. Not many half ton trucks can tow a half ton towable 5th wheel... just not enough truck. I think the site gurus kicked out valid reasoning for this and gave hard numbers. I would think this site would be improved by the folks who are really expert at towing capabilities and how to figure them to get together and write a comprehensive guide on how to figure which truck will work with which trailer and post as a sticky that could be referred to. Might take some of the personal perspective out of that question for folks who are coming aboard to ask about towing capability.

BTW: I had a 2013 F150 (base base base model) with the 3.7L and I could hardly pull a 500 lb motorcycle trailer comfortable with a 500 lb bike on it. There are a lot of ways to set up a truck and the only way you know what it can do is those hard numbers that get so darn complicated. Write up a FAQ and get the mods to sticky it and be done with this subject. (or ask your dealer's salesman if you can pull the thing he is selling).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #28
travelin texans

The rv/truck salesman would be the LAST person on earth to ask about towing/towable capabilities, they have one job, to sell to you whatever they can whether capable or not. I'd guess 99.9% don't know or care if it will tow or can be towed by whatever you have. You've heard the saying "if their lips are moving...."? There are 2 big advertising hypes for those salespeople to help sell, #1 - 1/2 ton towable rvs & #2 - a turbo charged V6 1/2 ton pickup is a capable tow vehicle of anything other than a small boat or motorcycle/snowmobile trailer.
Yes, I do have a 1 to dually diesel because it's the best tool for the job. After 40+ years of towing trailers/rvs of all shapes & sizes I've learned 1 thing, ALWAYS choose the best tool for the job. Believe me I've tried to do with less than required & it was a nerve racking white knuckle experience.
Tom Selleck has a quote on the movie "Monte Walsh" that actually sums up how I feel on this subject from here on, " you just can't possibly know how little I care!".
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
meaz93*

Their you have it....Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-03-05%2013.54.34.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	19310
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Geesh. The guy didn't agree with some of the site gurus so the pack jumps on again. Try and be polite and friendly and folks might just want to come back. If you make a point, you don't have to get pointed.
George, I'm not a site guru, nor do I know everything about everything, but, I do know folks that just "know" the answer to their questions and anything else is superfluous. At that point, asking questions, when you already know the answer you want to hear is pointless.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #31
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
George, I'm not a site guru, nor do I know everythingw about everything, but, I do know folks that just "know" the answer to their questions and anything else is superfluous. At that point, asking questions, when you already know the answer you want to hear is pointless.
Welp, sorry for pooing in the sandbox. I may have gotten carried away at 3 am last night.

The 200 amphour battery I am looking at weighs about the same as the conventional battery that would wind up in the trailer.

I still stand by my assertion there is no way I can come close to sticking 2000 lbs of stuff in a 24’ trailer.

I will hit a scale. And if need be, adjust as needed.

The jetprop I fly for a living, I fly within 100 lbs of max gross weight. I expect to be able to do that with a trailer and truck too.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:44 AM   #32
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Now that we're back on a more civil footing, let's keep it that way going forward.

My observations on this:
1. For some reason, I really dont know why, people are easy to get into a 150/1500 instead of a 250/2500 or more. Therefore, they buy and the manufacturers supply and they want to tow so they buy lite and..... Let's be honest about this, these many times wind up overloaded. Not always. I've been there and done that and have the t-shirt. Many are speaking from personal experience on this forum, not just their chicken little, the sky is falling opinion. That experience should be respected and at least considered.
2. The final decision on what you buy is always your decision and not anyone else's. Period. We've all been where you're at. Nothing new under the sun. The mistakes I made are still being made today and will continue to be made tomorrow.

Just some observations. Now go outside and play nice.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:09 AM   #33
AbbyinTN

Tried it...used Toyota Tundra for 2 years towing "Ultra Lite" campers. Worked hard on every hill and you could smell burning transmission fluid when you stopped for gas or rest stop. But I loved that truck and I couldn't ever bring myself to say one bad word about it. It gotter dun'. But...upgraded to 2500 and I have to remind myself I am towing!

That being said...start with what you got. Modify as you go. Pack light...your never very far a Walmart and have a good hitch with sway protection.

1st year packed everything but the kitchen sink. Next year removed everything I didn't use...almost everything I thought I needed was useless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0533.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	19311   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0574 (1).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	19312  
AbbyinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #34
cookinwitdiesel

It is anecdotal, but a coworker of mine had the twin turbo v6 F-150 for years (the last year before all the Aluminum got added to the truck). He loved the truck and used it to tow a covered toy trailer for dirt bikes and a horse trailer. It worked. Late last year, we sold a big deal and with the commission he bought a new F-350 Diesel SRW. He said that the towing experience was a night and day improvement between the two and that he felt a LOT safer driving the F-350 with the trailers. He specifically mentioned the brake stopping power and the ability to manage sway as being incredibly improved with the F-350. Those trailers are both much lighter than the RVs we are discussing here and he still realized those improvements - I would imagine that all amplifies with an even heavier RV being towed. Downside? His wife and daughter would drive the F-150, wont touch the F-350 haha

Again, I know it is anecdotal but is also a data point to consider and hopefully helpful. My understanding, is that if comparing gas to gas, the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 and 1 ton models are not even priced that differently when you get a comparable trim and features. If possible, the higher model is always the safer bet and will give you more head room.

Is your truck 2500# of stickered payload on the door frame? Or is that what it says on the website? The reason I ask is that my GMC 2500HD is 2500# on the website (clearly for a minimal trim) but my Denali trim'd one is 2144# payload on the sticker, once I realized that I was a little dismayed. Since those 300# were pretty much my "buffer".
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Welp, sorry for pooing in the sandbox. I may have gotten carried away at 3 am last night.

The 200 amphour battery I am looking at weighs about the same as the conventional battery that would wind up in the trailer.

I still stand by my assertion there is no way I can come close to sticking 2000 lbs of stuff in a 24’ trailer.

I will hit a scale. And if need be, adjust as needed.

The jetprop I fly for a living, I fly within 100 lbs of max gross weight. I expect to be able to do that with a trailer and truck too.
I hope your not depending on an honest weight reporting from passengers to get your w&b to within 100 lbs!
So, if you go back to my original post there are a lot of well intentioned folks here that have made the mistakes of buying too little truck. Yes trucks, like all vehicles change. Currently trucks are the most competitive market. There is a capacity war going on and one of the ways they increase capacity is by decreasing the truck's wt. If a mfg. uses the same chassis but decreases the truck's wt. by 500 lb. then they increase the capacity by 500 lb. When these folks give advice that someone has asked for and gets a defensive, or argumentative reply then it typically escalates into ad hominem attacks back and forth. I see it here and on other forums with regularity.
As for your inability to understand how you could load so much wt. into a trailer you have to understand it's a cumulative thing. Unlike the airplane that gets unloaded at the end of the flight most people constantly add to an rv. It's very common for campers to add to their inventory vs purging out the little used items as at least from experiences those that have a minimalistic approach tend to be backpackers.
I'm certain you would agree that flying a Cessna 152 at capacity would require greater attention and be less forgiving than flying your turbo prop at capacity minus 100 lb., just like the hurricane hunters wouldn't dream of flying your turboprop into wall of a storm. Carry that thinking over to trucks and I think you'll see where the well intentioned responders are coming from.
I apologize for the length of this but I don't know how to convey this in any fewer words. The bottom line in my thinking is this, no one can convince anyone differently if they perceive that they are correct and the other party is wrong. No amount of fact, anecdotal experience, or expert opinion can alter a closed mind. Likewise, no one can tell anyone else what is best for them. We all can relate what works for us and doesn't work for us. Common sense should fill in the gap, i.e. knowing that 10 lbs. of sugar will not filt into a 5 lb. bag.
I wish you luck with your purchase and hope that you are happy with your decision and make many safe, happy memories.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #36
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
It is anecdotal, but a coworker of mine had the twin turbo v6 F-150 for years (the last year before all the Aluminum got added to the truck). He loved the truck and used it to tow a covered toy trailer for dirt bikes and a horse trailer. It worked. Late last year, we sold a big deal and with the commission he bought a new F-350 Diesel SRW. He said that the towing experience was a night and day improvement between the two and that he felt a LOT safer driving the F-350 with the trailers. He specifically mentioned the brake stopping power and the ability to manage sway as being incredibly improved with the F-350. Those trailers are both much lighter than the RVs we are discussing here and he still realized those improvements - I would imagine that all amplifies with an even heavier RV being towed. Downside? His wife and daughter would drive the F-150, wont touch the F-350 haha

Again, I know it is anecdotal but is also a data point to consider and hopefully helpful. My understanding, is that if comparing gas to gas, the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 and 1 ton models are not even priced that differently when you get a comparable trim and features. If possible, the higher model is always the safer bet and will give you more head room.

Is your truck 2500# of stickered payload on the door frame? Or is that what it says on the website? The reason I ask is that my GMC 2500HD is 2500# on the website (clearly for a minimal trim) but my Denali trim'd one is 2144# payload on the sticker, once I realized that I was a little dismayed. Since those 300# were pretty much my "buffer".
Yes, the payload sticker on door frame says 2452. To get that they added extra leaf springs, bigger axle/ bearings, shocks, thicker frame, LT tires with kevlar, etc etc. Special order only, they do not want them on lots to cut into 250 sales. It drives very diesel like in that the torque curve is very steep at low rpms, and with the 3.73 gears, nearly 500 ft/lb of torque, and 10 speed, leads to a very strong feeling truck. It absolutely blows away any half ton I have driven.

Since I have a long commute to work(130 miles), and at least for five years will not be doing any long distance camping, it is my compromise. 98 % commute, 2% camping. I am getting decent mileage on the commute.

The issue is it is getting repaired with warranty work right now. Hopefully will get that sorted ( long story, but lets say it is getting close time to call it a lemon), but if not I have my eyes on a 6.7 srw, and most of this thread will be a moot point.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #37
cookinwitdiesel

With that commute I would agree that an F150 is preferable over the SDs if towing will be as low frequency as you say. That being said, maybe you should consider a travel trailer vs a 5th wheel? Should be lighter and still offer as much floor plan as a 5er would. I don't think Ford even issues a 5er rating for the F-150s, only the SD trucks.

And yes, if you do get the power stroke F-350 SRW then the conversation becomes moot, you will have enough truck for medium and small 5ers (but still not the big long term living ones) as well as any bumper pull on the market.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #38
meaz93*

Could this thread bring the diesel guys and twin turbo V6 gasser guys a pinch closer?-lol
Probably when that shoe..... err fits, and or don't/can't safely tow with 1/2 ton pickups something :eyesroll: to that effect.

Name:	2018-02-06%2016.04.11.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	19316
Old 11-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #39
Garyd1612

Welcome to the forum! When I decided to get back to RV'n I decided this time I would go mid-size truck and ultra lite trailer. I have a 2018 Toyota Tacoma 3.5 V6 and 2019 Bullet Crossfire 1800RB. The truck is rated to tow 6600 lbs, but the trailer is only 4400 lbs "wet". I am going with the TRD cold air intake and cat-back exhaust package, that will put the truck at 378HP and 365 ft pounds of torque. I just didn't want a big truck as a daily driver. I live in Big Bear City Ca at 7,000 ft, and have pulled the trailer up Onix summit at 8,500 ft at 65 MPH with plenty of throttle left (a lot of curves) before the mods to the truck. I used to have a 34ft MH and it was a lot to haul down the road. It's just the wife and me most of the time so we wanted lite and easy. I hope you get all the info you need from the forum there's a lot here and some great folks too. Good Luck. By the way, a Ford F150 weighs about 800 lbs more than the Taco.
Garyd1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #40
meaz93*

Ford does have specifications for towing a 5th wheel with the F150....here is mine for the 2014.
I agree on a TT rather than a 5th wheel option.
Keystone is making the ceilings taller and putting the same amenities that are in a 5th wheel in their travel trailers.

Name:	20181115_120504.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	19317

Tags
water