Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
canesfan

Carlisle Radial Trail RH vs HD

I'm in the deciding which tires to replace the OEM mode with 2-1/2 years on them now. Have been leaning toward the RH but am seeing some talk about the new HD. Can't find much info online besides at this link

http://www.carlstargroup.com/product...adial-trail-hd

Anyone have any more info or real life experience?

Also leaning toward Discount Tire but the closest to me is 3 hours away in NC. Any other suggestions for a good tire store or should I drive the 3 hours? I'm also open to ordering them and having them shipped to me but I still have to find a place capable of putting them on.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
Javi

I've been looking at the Carlisle tires as well, and like you I haven't found much information on the difference between the HD and RH.

As for Discount tire I'm a big fan, but they're like 7-11's used to be (one on every corner) down here... So getting warranty or work done is a snap. I also like their NO interest payment plan and the free rotate and balance thingy..
Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Lic0rice

Purchased the HD a few weeks ago. I searched extensively and could find nothing comparing the RH & HD except on the page you referenced.."In real world testing, the Radial TrailHD showed a 10% improvement in tire life over the Radial TrailRH, giving you a longer lasting trailer tire."

Just trusting Carlisle.

ETA: I'm a HUGE fan of Discount Tire. Always received excellent service, good prices and tons of locations.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I recently had the HDs installed on my trailer; gvw 10,000lbs. I saw the same ad that said it was a minor improvement over the RH so I bought 5. I drove from TX to FL where I am now with them; about 1300 miles. Not many miles but I am impressed with them so far. Seem to pull better than the Trailer Kings and going from LRD to LRE made a huge difference in the way the trailer bounced - or the Carlisle is just a better made tire?. Hopefully that in itself will lessen the chance of another tire failure.

And yes, I am a Discount tire fan as well. I drove all the way to FL just to have my tires rotated and balanced there. Not really, the mileage just came up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
gearhead

I'm running Maxxis right now and am very happy with them. But the Carlisle HD will be equally considered when it's time for new ones.
Discount Tire can be counted on to do it right. I can't remember when I bought a tire elsewhere.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought Carlisle RH tires the week before the HD was advertised on the Carlisle website. I was initially going to get tires this spring, contemplated "putting it off" for another year and based on sourdough's posts concerning his tire "explosion", I decided to go ahead and get them. RH tires were all the local dealer had available that the time, so I bought them. Even with a 10% tread life increase, I'll probably never wear out the tread.

Based on my "after removing the Trailer King tires" inspection, I can assuredly say that my decision to get tires NOW was the right move.

Whether the HD or the RH tire is "better" is honestly a "moot/mute point". Regardless of which, new Carlisle tires are an arguable improvement over anything Trailer King offers !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I've used the RH on 3 different trailers, but if Carlisle says the HD is an improvement, it may be what goes on the next time around. I have 3 years for others to give feedback before I have to decide. A quick look at the website I noticed at some sizes the width is wider, but the tire is not as tall. The size I use also calls for a wider wheel 6" vs 6.5", but max weight and air pressures are the same (with the exception that the HD doesn't list a dual rating).

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:23 AM   #8
jsm180

I just put 2 HD's on mine and will swap the other 2 when I get home. Discount also offers free replacement if they fail within 3 years for $17 @ tire.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I bought Carlisle RH tires the week before the HD was advertised on the Carlisle website. I was initially going to get tires this spring, contemplated "putting it off" for another year and based on sourdough's posts concerning his tire "explosion", I decided to go ahead and get them. RH tires were all the local dealer had available that the time, so I bought them. Even with a 10% tread life increase, I'll probably never wear out the tread.

Based on my "after removing the Trailer King tires" inspection, I can assuredly say that my decision to get tires NOW was the right move.

Whether the HD or the RH tire is "better" is honestly a "moot/mute point". Regardless of which, new Carlisle tires are an arguable improvement over anything Trailer King offers !!!
I suspect that in the scheme of things the difference in the RH and HD is negligible. When you are replacing tires every 3 years (I hope they last that long) I think that tires that are made reasonably well are all going to be serviceable until the end (I hope). If I was going to try and get 8 years and 50,000 miles then maybe the 10% improvement would mean something, but that won't ever come into play with my trailer.....and neither will a Trailer King
Old 06-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #10
canesfan

Thanks for all the input. Yesterday there was only a $1 difference between the two on the Discount Tire website, today the difference is $12, still not a big difference to consider. I found the RH on Amazon for $22 less than DT, however I'm not certain I want to buy tires from Amazon. And I still have to decide if I want to drive 3 hours each way to have it done, so I have some thinking to do on that. We have Tread Quarters local, anyone use them?
Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

3 hours each way is something to consider for sure. Do you have a CW anywhere near; or closer? I got mine through them. I get the regular tire warranty from Carlisle plus CW has their own warranty (I forget the details) and I can take the tires into them just as I would a tire dealer, so, the locations I can take tires in the event of a failure is not only all Carlisle dealers but all CW locations as well.

Some folks buy tires and have them delivered, then installed etc. I've done that in the past but it's not the same as buying a tire from the local dealer. I did it once and decided I would just rather buy from someone local, get free mounting and balancing, then free rotation and balance for life. Works out more or less in the end. In the end I've finally started using DT for nearly everything. At home in TX it's one hour each way to their location and in NM it's about 30 minutes. I've had super luck with them.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Is it free shipping on Amazon? If you check with DT, they will probably match the Amazon price. My biggest concern buying from Amazon is if they are a new tire or will they have an old date. If they do have an old date, what's the return policy?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
canesfan

Yes, the Amazon shipping is free. But the age of the tire was my concern too. I doubt they'd take them back if I didn't like the date. But would DT take them back? I guess if I was there in person they might try to get some others, but if I had them sent to me then what? I'm going to call around this coming week and check out some things. There is a hole in the wall tire place I pass often about 30 minutes from me. They have really good reviews online and they are a Carlisle dealer. I also see Pep Boys is a dealer and I have them local, but I don't know their reputation anymore.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #14
gearhead

For a RV I think I would buy from a national chain. I would go with Pep Boys if they were handy. I can't remember doing any business with them. I imagine service varies store to store.
If I was buying tires for a utility trailer, yeah Bubba's Tire and Bait Shop would work.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #15
Lic0rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Yes, the Amazon shipping is free. But the age of the tire was my concern too. I doubt they'd take them back if I didn't like the date. But would DT take them back? I guess if I was there in person they might try to get some others, but if I had them sent to me then what? I'm going to call around this coming week and check out some things. There is a hole in the wall tire place I pass often about 30 minutes from me. They have really good reviews online and they are a Carlisle dealer. I also see Pep Boys is a dealer and I have them local, but I don't know their reputation anymore.
DT will absolutely work with you if you feel the tire is too old. I initially ordered 5 Maxxis M8008 from DT. Took them 2 days to come in. When I went in to have them mounted, I ask for them to check the date. The tires were 13 months old. I expected an attitude from the salesman, he was nothing but helpful. When he couldn't find newer M8008 close by, he suggested the Carlisle HD. He had them in the next morning. DT is excellent!
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #16
archerr2002

We bought our new Carlisle radial trail rh from tread depot.com. They had the best online price we could find. Tires arrived in 2 days with a date code of less hen 6 months. I have a buddy that changes tires on the side, $40 to mount and balance all 4. Stepped up from 8 ply to 10 ply. we have 2 trips on them so far and tows well. I buy all my tires from tread depot.
archerr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:25 AM   #17
mosquitoman

I never hear anyone mention Goodyear trailer tires, I worked for a Goodyear shop for years so yes I did drink the cool-aid. I wouldn't use any other tire on my tv, I have put the Goodyear trailer tire on a car trailer at work but it only sees in town use. Have you camper uses seen bad things from the Goodyear trailer tires?
Old 06-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitoman View Post
I never hear anyone mention Goodyear trailer tires, I worked for a Goodyear shop for years so yes I did drink the cool-aid. I wouldn't use any other tire on my tv, I have put the Goodyear trailer tire on a car trailer at work but it only sees in town use. Have you camper uses seen bad things from the Goodyear trailer tires?
The Marathons used to be a really good tire and where the tire of choice for many. In recent years they seem to have dropped quality and people are seeing more problems than in the past. If I remember correctly, this seemed to coincide with a switch to manufacturing them in China. The G614 seems to be a good tire and I haven't really heard of anyone with problems. Of course I haven't heard of anyone having problems with any G rated tire. IMO the biggest problem with any Goodyear ST tire is that they are overpriced. I can get a equal or better quality tire for much less.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

From my research it appeared that the Marathon (which I have used many years ago) used to be a good trailer tire. They started having them made in China and they started having problems. They moved them back to the USA and they were good. Then back to China and now they aren't (this is all from my memory as I was researching what to buy before I bought the current Carlisle tires). I went to the NHTSA website and pulled up the complaints on the Marathons and almost fell out of my chair. Loads of complaints; I went with the Carlisle.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #20
canesfan

Thanks for the tip on Tread Depot. I looked there and they have them for $54 less per tire than DT. That's pretty impressive.

As for buying from a national chain vs Joes Bait and Tire store, I guess that is a consideration I hadn't thought about.

As for Pep Boys, I'll have to look into their current reputation. But from all the comments I'm really leaning toward a 3 hour drive to Raleigh now. There's a nice campground down there I can go hang out at for a few days.

As for CW, the closest one is also 3 hours away. I live in a pretty urban area and there is NOTHING (useful) around here.

Again, thanks so much for all the input. Very much appreciated.

ETA: Correction, the $54 less was for the RH, it's $75 less per tire for the HD, although the HD is listed as out of stock and to call for special oredering so that price might not hold. But the RH is in stock.