Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Anson9110

idea on leak location?

I'm hoping to find someone who has experienced moisture in underbelly storage compartment. I've checked the roof and it looks ok, no cracks etc... The carpet inside the compartment is wet as is the aluminum frame. The trailer hasn't moved at all since November. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks, Anson.
Anson9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
bobbecky

Not sure what rig you have, but we have had moisture several times on the floor of the basement, near the convenience center. After removing the plastic wall of the convenience center, which provides access to the plumbing behind and on ours, also the water pump, I found several of the connections loose. Just had to tighten and the leaks stopped. I did carefully use a pair of pliers, but had to go easy as all these fittings are plastic. That would be a great MOD, replacing all these fittings with brass connectors, even replacing the hose connections in the convenience center with brass would be a big improvement. As these rigs are, as someone described, rolling earthquakes, it is a good idea to go around the whole rig, inside and out, to check for loose water fittings. All the vibration tends to loosen the fittings.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Anson9110

Thanks for your help! I will check the fittings tomorrow morning. If the fittings are tight I will keep looking around..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
KanTC

Anson,

You didn't give any info on your make/model, so I'm just thinking out-loud here:
Are there any windows above/near the wet storage area? One of them could be leaking/running (between the walls) into the storage area.
Also check the window drain holes (for dirt/debris).

Check the seals around the storage compartment doors... water could be weeping, even in a tiny gap.

Hopefully you'll get more 'ideas' from others
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Anson9110

Thank you Terri! It's a 2002 Cougar 31ft.... I think you're in to something with the window seals. They are starting to crack and I'm thinking of replacing them this year. The storage compartment doors seems closed but will check tomorrow. I don't think it's the roof edge as it goes "over" the sides.. But haven't investigated enough yet... Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Eastham

Compartment door leak.

Hi.I have had a little water on the inside lip of the compartment door. Today I went looking for the source of the water. With a hose not spraying directly on the door but above it and the water running down.the water would show up in side on the lip.with no sign or where it was coming from. I dried everything up and wrapped a piece of paper towel around the latch on the inside not the one with the key .the one with the thumb nob.repeted the water spray with the door locked and latched and the only thing wet was the paper towel on the inside of the latch.with out the paper towel the water drips on the inside lip.Long story short I will be replacing the latch tomorrow and see what happens the next time it rains.Hope this helps someone find the source of the leaky compartment door. 2016 cougar xlite.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Steveo57

Check for leaks through the screw holes holding the door frames in place. That's where I found mine leaking.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:41 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Just a thought, I've found the seals cancompress over time and loose efficiency. Easiest way to check is take a dollar bill and close it in the door. Pull on it and if there's good resistance it is sealing. If it pulls out easily it's not sealing. No need to replace the latch, just bend the arm a little to create a tighter fit. The lip around those hatch doors are easily bent out when dragging things out of the compartment. You can easily straighten the lip with pliers. I don't know your model or how long the compartments have been closed up. I typically have them open for a while when setting up and open them if I'm at the camper for any time while in storage. A little air circulation can help dissipate any condensation. Let us know when you find a remedy.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Eastham

Well I changed the latch today and tested with hose after about 15 minutes there was no sign of water on the inside lip of compartment door. I also took apart the old latch and the ball bearing and spring were rusted. Water was leaking by the o ring and dripping on the inside lip of the compartment door. Before I changed anything I tried bending the tab but still leaked.if you wrap some paper towel around the latch on the inside and the only sign of water is a wet paper towel I would try changing the latch just my opinion it might work for you it might not.good luck.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote