Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Ashtreedawn11

City Water hook up, water spilling out back end

Hello everyone, I am a first time RV owner and we purchased a 2004 keystone sprinter fifth wheel without ever hooking up the city water (stupid I know!) Anyways we have just finally got to a place with water hook ups and when we hook up the city water it spills out the back end. I'm really hoping this is just an overfill and not a busted pipe. I lifted up the bunk bed above where the water is spilling out and it looks dry. When we look under the fifth wheel all you see is the fabric that protects underneath. We also lost the plug somehow for the portable water or "portable" so we havent been using that either. Is it possible all I need is a plug for that portable water tank? Or is it time to cut the cloth and peek underneath?
Ashtreedawn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
ptooti

Time to look the city water is pressurized so it’s pissing out somewhere

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
slow

Low point drain opened?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
ptooti

winterized?

Maybe your unit was winterized and the plug or cap not put back? you can get one at the hard ware store they are usually 1/2 NPT (pipe) thread and the low point drains should be sticking out the bottom somewhere there should be 2 of them a hot and cold line drain water leaking from behind the belly bag would need checking out if the unit ever froze maybe not have been winterized properly and it can split a line

Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
ptooti

the city water and fresh water tank are 2 separate systems capping the fresh tank drain will not fix the city water leak and if you cap the fresh tank then turn on your water pump it will pressurized the system and probably still leak if its a line somewhere

Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
Old 07-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you take the fa rice down by pulling the fasteners holding it up then you can replace it and the fasteners. If you cut it. Cut a flap on three sides leaving the hinge towards the front of th he trailer. Then you can retake th ed sides to seal ig back up.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I am assuming your water hose, from the spigot, is screwed into the "city water" connection?

The water "spilling out the back end"...is it coming out the back above the black coroplast (bottom lining) or somewhere else at the back?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
bobbecky

If you have a water fill valve that has a normal position and a fill position, possibly it is in the fill position or just slightly not fully in the normal position. Another possibility is, and we had this happen several years ago, is the one way check valve in the water pump is not sealing fully and is allowing water on the city side of the pump to flow backwards to the fresh water tank, and this water will overflow from the tank vent. I initially cut in a check valve in the PEX line ahead of the pump which stopped the water flowing backwards. I did later replace the pump for other reasons. It is also possible there is a bit of debris inside the pump causing the leak.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
bill-e

I'd vote for checking the low point drains, it can appear that it's coming out the back if you don't look close enough. As already suggested it could be a winterizing issue where they forgot to put a cap back on in the water pump compartment where they sucked the antifreeze in....though I've actually forgot that once and didn't have a leak though it may depend on whether the winterizing valve is left open or not...but again it should leak from either source.

As far as city vs potable, they both use the same lines in the camper once you get past the pump so if you have a leak you should see it no matter which source you use.

And as far as the potable cap, if you're talking about the cap used to cover the fresh water fill point, you can get along without it until you get a replacement, it will not affect water delivery.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Ashtreedawn11

Thank you!

Thanks guys, I will be showing my husband this information tonight! And keep you updated
Old 07-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
ptooti

Running water

My tank had a leak it was located at the front but leaked out the back of the tt it had followed all the way down the frame to the rear so took a bit to discover the source
Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #12
Ashtreedawn11

Where would the water fill valve be located ? Ty!
Old 07-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtreedawn11 View Post
Where would the water fill valve be located ? Ty!
It will either be a gravity fill port, usually on the curb side or a combination selector valve in a convenience center, usually on the street side.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
Skyloran

City water hook up, water seeping inside the trailer at the hookup location

Lately I have a similar problem but a bit different. Twice water has leaked into the trailer at the location of the city water attachment. I removed the panel over the area inside the trailer where the city water comes in to view the location and identified that location as the source. Luckily we we able to identify the water leak coming from the box that houses the attached net before the water damaged anything.
I have a pressure reducer on the water hose but I noted by barely turning the water hose on it doesn’t seem to seep/leak inside the trailer. Also I noted that the water attachment on the trailer is flexible and have not seen that on other trailers I have owned. Inside the trailer the other water connections seem tight.
Has anyone else had this problem? That is leaking inside the trailer when attached to city water?
Thank you
Skyloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
Skyloran

Not sure what happened to my earlier post but I am having problems with my city water connection to the trailer. When I connect it to city water it has leaked twice inside the trailer. Not happy with that but caught it in time to prevent any damage.
Is anyone else having a similar problems?
Skyloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyloran View Post
Not sure what happened to my earlier post but I am having problems with my city water connection to the trailer. When I connect it to city water it has leaked twice inside the trailer. Not happy with that but caught it in time to prevent any damage.
Is anyone else having a similar problems?
Check all your connections and valves. Look under the sinks etc to find it. Once located, then we can help fix it

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312

Tags
water