Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Barseven

Blackwater tanks in a 321RS

We have a bit of an dilemma. Our monitoring system shows a BLK1 and a BLK2. Even after dumping, the BLK1 always shows 2/3 full, and the BLK2 shows empty. There is only one valve, so having two blackwater tanks seems unlikely. Any thoughts?
Barseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

How many toilets? 1 tank per toilet.

You probably have something ___________ (fill in the blank) fouling your sensor.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Barseven

1 toilet. It's an Avalanche 321RS
Old 07-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Barseven

So, does that mean the other tank isn't really a tank that's being used? Like a ghost tank?
Old 07-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You say after dumping black 1 shows 2/3 and black 2 shows empty. I am assuming prior to dumping black 2 was showing full? If so, and it empties, and you have only one toilet, I'm thinking....

First, I would think black 1 would be for your active toilet. That said, and black 2 is the toilet, and black 1 shows a reading, did they reverse the sensor leads at the panel? Or, if black 2 always shows empty and never fills, then you're probably using black 1 but the sensors are fouled. If that's the case there are many, many discussions of the sensors, how to clean them, their worth and if they work or not. Hope that makes sense. To me, whether black 2 is actually filling and emptying sort of sets the guide.

Note; the panels are pretty much generic, there may be no 2nd tank, just the listing on the panel.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barseven View Post
So, does that mean the other tank isn't really a tank that's being used? Like a ghost tank?
The convenience centers in most Keystone models are interchangeable. That is, they are the same for those large units with two toilets as well as others with one.
I'd suggest using the black tank flush to fill the tank and watch the indicator level to see if there's any change. Keep an eye on the toilet just in case the indicator is faulty. When full, drain the tank and see if the indicator shows empty. If not there may be something (paper or ???) fouling the sensor. Try flushing the tank a couple of times. It should clear. If not then it's likely a trip to the dealer's service bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (7 of 11).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	17454  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Barseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You say after dumping black 1 shows 2/3 and black 2 shows empty. I am assuming prior to dumping black 2 was showing full? If so, and it empties, and you have only one toilet, I'm thinking....

First, I would think black 1 would be for your active toilet. That said, and black 2 is the toilet, and black 1 shows a reading, did they reverse the sensor leads at the panel? Or, if black 2 always shows empty and never fills, then you're probably using black 1 but the sensors are fouled. If that's the case there are many, many discussions of the sensors, how to clean them, their worth and if they work or not. Hope that makes sense. To me, whether black 2 is actually filling and emptying sort of sets the guide.

Note; the panels are pretty much generic, there may be no 2nd tank, just the listing on the panel.
Black tank 2 has never shown anything but empty, however when I pull the black tank valve, it dumps a significant amount. Blk tank 1 always shows 2/3 full, never changes.

So, it sounds like maybe the sensors are the problem..
Old 07-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
Barseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
The convenience centers in most Keystone models are interchangeable. That is, they are the same for those large units with two toilets as well as others with one.
I'd suggest using the black tank flush to fill the tank and watch the indicator level to see if there's any change. Keep an eye on the toilet just in case the indicator is faulty. When full, drain the tank and see if the indicator shows empty. If not there may be something (paper or ???) fouling the sensor. Try flushing the tank a couple of times. It should clear. If not then it's likely a trip to the dealer's service bay.
I will give that a try. Thanks to all for the input.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, it sounds as if your black tank sensors are malfunctioning. Looks like black tank 2 is non functional - which should be right. Fill the tank FULL the way canonman described and dump to see if it will clear them.

If that doesn't work just do a search for black tank sensors and you will find a plethora of posts about the issue and some methods for trying to clean them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
Old Mustanger

The panel on the 2015 Cougar we previously owned had a Black 2 indicator but only 1 black tank. There were also a couple of switches on it that did nothing on that trailer. The Black 1 always showing 2/3 is a sensor problem or a partially clogged waste gate. As posted by others you should fill it and flush it out completely.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #11
travelin texans

If you are unable to clear the sensor by any of the methods mentioned on here, personally I wouldn't take it to a dealer & waste prime camping opportunities waiting on them to do the same procedures that will only help til you fill the tank again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:19 PM   #12
John&Genny

We have a 320RS which is almost the same as the 321 and have the same tank sensor panel. What sourdough mentioned is correct, there is no second black water tank so ignore BLK #2. If your #1 tank is always showing 2/3rds full, then I agree it’s probably a sensor problem.

You might try flushing the tank. TP and other crap (literally) gets on the sensors causing them to read incorrectly. Also, never keep the black valve open even if you are hooked up to a sewer. Always let the chemicals in the tank do their job and only dump the Black tank when needed.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #13
jertour

Black tank

Yo might want to try using the geo. system to clean the black tank and sensors.
I have used the system on the last two tt and it works.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
Howie

I just purchased a Cougar 303RLS with the same panel showing 2 black tanks and the unit only has one. My one tank always shows full and the other seems to function properly. I originally thought I might have 2 tanks but it does not and the ghost tank sensors never change from showing full.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #15
bscid

FT'ing in one of these things, I've given up on the sensor, as have all the other people we know. I personally use the "burp back, tank is full" indicator. I have tried everything including flushing, back flushing, geo method, ice bags going down the road, chemicals from CW, chemicals from Walmart, and still, no go.
bscid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Keystone’s tanks breakdown

You are experiencing the standard Keystone dance: tanks , sensors, moldule, and wiring harness troubles. Our 2018 HC 310RE black tank always read ⅔ full; the second black tank “idiot light” didn’t change at all; and both gray tanks read differently but always around ⅔ full. I tried the black tank flush inlet with hose; the plastic wand designed to wash the sensors; filling the black with fresh water until I could see water at the lip and then flushing; putting in 2-3 times the amount of toilet chems; even adding Dawn liquid soap (yeds, I knoiw Keystone says to not do that)...then draining until zero liquid came out of the valve. Nada. Zip: ⅔ full on the panel. Took it in to Camping World (for far too many issues on an expensive camper). Representatives said I obviously don’t know how to flush tanks properly...after a detailed explanation I know how, did it, and reinforced he was wrong, they set to work. CW changed the sensors: still didn’t work. Changed the module: still didn’t work. Keystone then advised them to change out the entire ribbon wiring harness. Of course, Keystone didn’t have any, so it took weeks to send it to CW. CW hasn’t installed it as I needed the unit, so we are crossing our fingers it works when we take it in. Bottom line is that Keystone (and other manufacturers) use a system that doesn’t work well. But keeping their toes to the fire just might help pressure them into redesigning a better system. Too many people will just reiterate the toilet paper/poop mantra when, in fact, it is highly likely the bits of the sensor/readout may not be working right. While it’s true you likely will always have issues, if you are diligent, tank readouts should work reasonably well. Our 2012 Cougar Xlite 30rls always had issues, but not like our Montana HC! It is imperative you follow a good regimen, but it is possible to make it work...assuming the Keystone parts work properly. So far, I am unimpressed with the Montana line’s products and quality. Just watched a couple with a brand new 39.5 foot unit where nothing at all worked! Couldn’t even get it off the hitch.
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #17
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Note: the panels are used on multiple models, so yours is most likely not connected to a missing tank. Just focus on the tank that shows activity.
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
shermris

If you have two black water tanks you would likely have only one valve for the two black water tanks and one valve for the gray water tank. If you have only two tanks there should be two valves, one for black water and one for gray water. If you only have one valve one of the tanks would still be a gray water tank. Black water tanks are 1/2, (or less), the size of your gray water tank. You can usually look through your toilet dump valve with a flashlight and see if your black water tank is empty. If you have two black water tanks and one toilet they would be connected if you have only one drain valve. I would buy a bottle of Aqua Kem and put half the bottle in each tank, then make sure I had at least 2/3 of each tank full. Hook up to your vehicle and drive ahead a couple of feet and stop, which should slosh water around inside the tank. Repeat for a few minutes and then let everything set for an hour or two. Aqua Kem helps break down solids which could possibly be clogging one of your sensors. After waiting head for the dump station and drain you tanks, flushing if possible thought the flush valve, if you have one, or through the toilet. They do make a clear line with a flush port that you install at your water tank drain valve, ahead of you drain hose. They are available in straight, 15 degree, and 90 degree designs. Once the tanks are empty, hook up a flush water line and flush the tank leaving the dump gate open. Some sensors work fairly well as long as you clean your tanks well after use, some a troublesome and unreliable no matter what you do and you just have to figure out how full your tanks are. If your shower drain starts backing up your gray water tank is completely full, your black water tank should be viable through the toilet.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
Barseven

Our Black Tank #1 does flush when we dump so I'm certain it's the sensor. After reading all of the responses, it sounds like it would be a waste of time to take it to the dealer. Ours is only 6 months old. As long as the tank dumps each time, I should be able to get by without the sensors, right?

Appreciate all of the helpful advice. We are fairly new at this and have found so much useful info on this forum. Matter of fact, we recently checked the ducts for our A/C because the trailer just wasn't cooling very well; even with 2 A/C's. Making a few minor alterations (as recommended by fellow keystone owners) improved air flow drastically and saved us a trip to the dealer.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:29 AM   #20
BadmanRick

Your panel may show two black water sensors. But your camper has only one black water tank (Blk1).
Blk2 will always show empty.
I have a keystone bullet Premier and the sensors in the tank never worked correctly. They are small buttons on the side of the tank. When you use the tank they get coated with a conductive film which shows the tank has a reading example 2/3 full. As long as the film covers the sensors they will not work.
I changed my sensors to the new Valterra LLC T21301VP TANK PROBE, BLACK WATER, these work very well. They stick deep onto the tank and don’t short out. They also make a set for the gray water and fresh water tanks Valterra LLC T21302VP TANK PROBE, GRAY WATER, (from Amazon)
I replaced the sensors in all three tanks myself and so far I have not had any problems.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water