Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Mtarl

Close to buy decision would like opinions

Hey all,
Considering a new 2022 cougar 29 rli or a new 2023 grand design reflection 295 rl. Cougar come with 2nd AC and lithium batteries the GD does not. GD is 300 cheaper. Thoughts?
Mtarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

Those units are very much alike with a few minor differences. Off the top of my head; the roof on the Cougar has aluminum trusses the Reflection 150 has wood. Cougar has Road Armor suspension and the GD has the MorRyde CRE3000. Looks like both have the 12vdc fridge. The GD has Goodyear tires don't know about the Cougar. The Cougar has a front cap that is painted like an automobile the GD is painted (how I don't know). Both have gvwrs of 11k lbs.

If the Cougar you are looking at has the lithium batteries they are probably Dragonfly and IIRC that is a $2700 option. The Cougar also has the 2nd A/C. Suspensions (MorRyde vs Road Armor) are similar. I had the RoadArmor and pulled it off the first year to install a MorRyde suspension because I have had good luck with them. The Road Armor is good as well so that's probably a wash. The roof rafter difference is big to me. Too many ways for a roof to leak. It's bad enough for it to hurt what's under it but I don't want the rafter rotting too.

Remember that the units themselves are pretty much built the same and use pretty much the same appliances built by pretty much the same people as they migrate around between the factories. GD has always charged a premium for their supposed superior customer service experience but I hear that has dropped off.

Just some quick thoughts on them. The GDs are usually more expensive but if you have the 2nd AC (which I would insist on) and the lithium batteries you're ahead with the Cougar IMO. Now, don't let the terms "1/2 ton towable" or Reflection "150 mislead you, neither of those trailers are meant for a 1/2 ton truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
dutchmensport

I'm biased, get the Cougar.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:58 PM   #4
Mtarl

Thanks for the insights. Still torn. Cougar looks nicer, has the hanging light pendants, 4 chairs on dinette rather than two and a bench, bigger tv and nicer steps. Bout the only advantage with th GD is the model year newer and the perceived (right or wrong) better customer service after the sale. No issues with TV. Have a 2500 HD.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtarl View Post
Thanks for the insights. Still torn. Cougar looks nicer, has the hanging light pendants, 4 chairs on dinette rather than two and a bench, bigger tv and nicer steps. Bout the only advantage with th GD is the model year newer and the perceived (right or wrong) better customer service after the sale. No issues with TV. Have a 2500 HD.
While this might be true what is MORE important is the customer service reputation of the dealer you're buying from. Most warranty issues will be directed back the to dealer so make sure you're buying from a good one.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:52 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtarl View Post
JMO. If it's new, it's new. That year model difference will mean absolutely nothing (next to it) if you go to trade or sell. Buying a new RV the bottom falls out value the second you sign the document. For a possible $2-300...maybe $500 dollar trade in difference I would get the trailer I liked every time.

Watching the videos of them I too was struck by the GD still using "yesteryear" steps. From everything I've heard on the GD customer experience in the recent past is that it has dropped significantly, for what reason(s) I don't know. I would expect they are on par with Keystone these days.

An excellent point was brought up about your dealer, they can make or break a customer's experience with a trailer....or a dealer. They are THE key between you and the manufacturer if something is wrong so make sure the right dealer is at the top of your list. Maybe you'll be lucky and the dealer will sell both brands - found that at CW in Lake City FL. Just make sure whoever it is has a great customer reputation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:12 PM   #7
peanut

Between those two, I would chose the Cougar because of the larger shower and bedroom closet. Actually, this Cougar was the one I wanted. Wife like the 24RDS. Check my signature to see which of us won out.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #8
Mtarl

Really appreciate the responses. A lot of good thought!