Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
linux3

How do you like your Ram Pickup

Starting to look at replacing my Silverado. With almost 50k miles and nothing wrong, ever, I'm happy with Chevy.
But, I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation and the 2020's kill the engine when you stop. Sure there is a button to over ride that but you have to press it every time you start the truck. I would find this annoying.
I'm thinking about a 2020 Ram 1500 quad cab. But I worry about FCA's quality.

Rather than trusting Consumer Reports or some such nonsense I thought I'd ask the people who do what I need a truck for.

Please no flame wars.
I don't want a Ford because I can't get heated cloth seats and auto climate control.
Yes, I'm happy with Chevy but I want a new truck.

I would like to just hear from RAM owners.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
KSH

I've had 2 ram trucks. 1500 eco diesel which was amazing until the air suspension failed. That truck was lemoned back. Got a 2500 Cummings which is absolutely amazing. The ram interiors are so much nicer in my opinion, but what originally sold me were the ram boxes.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've owned all 3 and wouldn't even think of a Ram/Dodge prior to 2001. Bought my first 1500 then - 4x4 Off Road. Loved it. I've owned 9 or 10 since then.

The current Rams have the best interiors of the 3 IMO. I keep thinking I'm going to get a Ford (owned about 30 new ones in the past) but between looks, interior and pricing keep going with the Ram - all of this is subjective obviously. The only issues I've ever had were when they came out with the 5.7L in the 2003 (I believe) truck and they kept having problems with some sort of electronic malfunction that would leave my engine running in a sort of "preservation" mode, even on a freeway in Dallas. Left me sitting in a motel parking lot for an hour or so trying this and that, disconnecting the battery etc. until it decided to fix itself. Only did it 2-3 times and that was on a 2003 and a 2004. I've had no issues at all with any of the rest of them after those model years.

The coil spring suspension makes for a great ride. With your trailer it will be just fine. Pulling mine with more than a thousand in tongue weight, I installed AirLift 1000 air bags. Don't think you would need them unless you just wanted them.

I've had the 3.55, 3.92 & 4.10 rear axle ratios. For me and a trailer as big as mine I like the 4.10. For your trailer any of them would work (I've pulled this trailer with the 3.55).

As I said, I like the Ram trucks anymore; they have really picked up their game from years ago - there is no comparison. I am currently looking for a new truck and I've looked at all the brands, as I always do, and still like the Ram. Not knocking any other brand, they're all good, it's just what I like and not trying to start a "my truck's better than your truck" conversation as the OP requested.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
Bama Hammer

I am a RAM owner.. picked up a used 2500 with the 6.4L engine this past January. Previously I have always owned Chevy, but the cost of a 2500 Chevy was just too much to justify. That said I find the quality very comparable. So far (knock on wood) I have had no major issues with the RAM and our local dealership is easy to work with. In the end it really just boiled down to price.. I got just as capable of a truck for a fraction of what I would pay on the same year model Silverado.
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
busterbrown

My Ram 2500 has been great. At over 33K miles, not a single service call, other than a manufacturer recall for a steering linkage nut. The newest generation RAM interiors lead the way among the Big 3. The Uconnect system is extremely intuitive and reliable. That 12" screen is a monster too.

The modern Hemi's have been been around for a while with good success. The 8 speed transmission now offered in the HD gas trucks has moved the bar up considerably. Competition is bigger than ever in the truck segment, both with the 1/2 tons and heavy duties. This makes for some nice consumer products. Just expect to pay for it.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
travelin texans

I'd almost bet the Ram will have, now or soon, the start/stop as well. I've got a new Jeep that has it. It's not a problem unless it's very hot & AC is running, you stop at a light, the engine stops so does the AC, any other time of the year it doesn't bother me.
I've always been a GM guy, but if I were to buy another tomorrow I'd be looking really close at a Ram. GM #1, Ram #2 (maybe #1) & in my opinion there's not a #3 worth a dime, drove them (when they weren't in the shop) 30+ years at work, will not ever own one!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
66joej

I have the Ram in my signature. Great truck. Only beef is having to use 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic in the 6.4. It unfortunately is the only synthetic in that viscosity that meets FCA oil spec. The dealer really rips us up here for services. Once it's off warranty I'll probably go with some other oil. As mentioned in previous posts I would buy a Ram again but would opt for the Cummins/Aisan.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Starting to look at replacing my Silverado. With almost 50k miles and nothing wrong, ever, I'm happy with Chevy.
But, I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation and the 2020's kill the engine when you stop. Sure there is a button to over ride that but you have to press it every time you start the truck. I would find this annoying.
I'm thinking about a 2020 Ram 1500 quad cab. But I worry about FCA's quality.

Rather than trusting Consumer Reports or some such nonsense I thought I'd ask the people who do what I need a truck for.

Please no flame wars.
I don't want a Ford because I can't get heated cloth seats and auto climate control.
Yes, I'm happy with Chevy but I want a new truck.

I would like to just hear from RAM owners.
Interesting. I hate my wife’s auto climate (F150 Lariat). Small fan Speed switch in the middle. Love the big dial on my F250 XLT. But will have to sacrifice it with new truck as platinum is calling me
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
Big1

I’m on my 6 ram but as you may know I’m bias.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I have the Ram in my signature. Great truck. Only beef is having to use 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic in the 6.4. It unfortunately is the only synthetic in that viscosity that meets FCA oil spec. The dealer really rips us up here for services. Once it's off warranty I'll probably go with some other oil. As mentioned in previous posts I would buy a Ram again but would opt for the Cummins/Aisan.
Joe, it's been some time since I went thru this but I had that conversation about the oil with both Ram and Mobil 1. Their Mobil 1 synthetic 0-40 does meet the Ram specs but Ram/FCA has some sort of agreement with Pennzoil about Ram specifying their product. When I pressed Ram about whether using Mobil 1 would void my warranty because it didn't meet "their spec" and provided the response from Mobil 1 they said it wouldn't void it. That was several years back but I've check periodically with locations when I have the oil changed to have them verify that Mobil 1 meets Ram specs and I'm always told it does. You may want to check on your end but I knew within reason there wasn't just one manufacturer making the specific oil for a Ram truck.

Not trying to hijack the thread or start a different conversation - just wanted to make a quick comment for Joe. Back to "why do you like your Ram truck"....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Interesting. I hate my wife’s auto climate (F150 Lariat). Small fan Speed switch in the middle. Love the big dial on my F250 XLT. But will have to sacrifice it with new truck as platinum is calling me
You missed that "CLOTH SEATS" statement.
I do not like leather. Cold in the winter and hot and sticky in the summer.
I do not want to discuss this!!
Mid line Chevy and Ram I can get heated CLOTH seats and steering wheel and auto climate control.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Mid line Chevy and Ram I can get heated CLOTH seats and steering wheel and auto climate control.
Well never noticed that in our Ram 3500 Laramie DRW with Heated and cooled leather interior. I will add we have a dark exterior color no an issue. It also has a heated steering wheel for winter.
Our Ram is our only vehicle as we full time and DW didn't like chasing when we moved.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Didn’t miss the cloths seats, my XLT has heated cloth seats.

But you don’t want to discuss this, so I’m out
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
goducks

On my 2nd Ram. 1st was a 2012 CTD. Had emission issues. Most all was fixed under warranty. Had about 3 recalls.
Bought a 2nd Ram , 2018 6.4 gas. Has had one recall (Drag Link). Rams way of fixing is terrible.
The 2012 was more solid with no rattles in 6 years than our 2015 Camry. I stayed with Ram because I really like the service dept and they seem to fit me physically better.

They do seem to use some cheaper parts and have more recalls that Ford or Chevy. Getting a deal on a Ford where I live is way tougher. Also had a 2010 F150 prior to the 2012 CTD and the local Ford service dept sucks.

FWIW I was a Ford guy for years so relatively new to Ram.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
Racebug

I would trust Ram. Have had 5 of them, no issues with any of the 2013+ trucks (3 of them). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. In fact I think we will buy one for the wife to drive now too.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
On my 2nd Ram. 1st was a 2012 CTD. Had emission issues. Most all was fixed under warranty. Had about 3 recalls.
Bought a 2nd Ram , 2018 6.4 gas. Has had one recall (Drag Link). Rams way of fixing is terrible.
The 2012 was more solid with no rattles in 6 years than our 2015 Camry. I stayed with Ram because I really like the service dept and they seem to fit me physically better.

They do seem to use some cheaper parts and have more recalls that Ford or Chevy. Getting a deal on a Ford where I live is way tougher. Also had a 2010 F150 prior to the 2012 CTD and the local Ford service dept sucks.

FWIW I was a Ford guy for years so relatively new to Ram.
I was also a Ford guy (mostly Mustangs) since the 60s. But for Rams (I also have a '18 6.4) to have only 1 recall in 2 years is quite good I think.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #17
Danno

I would love mine if I could buy better shocks for it! I have the rear air ride and no one makes a replacement shock for it except Ram!
2002 DCB with twin Mercury 300x's
2013 Avalon 2685 with Honda 250
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I use my dealer for oil changes because they only charge $10 labor. I get my own oil from Amazon or WalMart and the Cummins filter from Amazon.
Stick with that Pennzoil synthetic..it's good stuff and most likely the base oil is from the Pearl Gas to Liquids plant in Quatar. But I'm biased..retired Shell.
I'm usually a Chevy guy but am on my 2nd Ram/Cummins. Really like the low rpm Cummins.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #19
Bolo4u

I owned a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 gas 4x4, great truck, never had any issues that I can recall - sold

Bought a new 2004 Ram 2500 diesel CC 4x4 with the Auto. Had two issues, one was the steering box was replaced under warranty, the other was had the tranny (auto) rebuilt shortly after the warranty expired. Had a shift kit installed. Did a couple of minor wear and tear repairs, and regular maintenance. Sold to a relative who still drives it.

Bought a new 2105 Ram 2500 CC Diesel Laramie, SB. Great truck, traded in for a 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually Diesel, CC, when we bought a 5th wheel (currently for sale). Had no issues, other than the FCA/NHTSA recalls.

Just upgraded to a 2019 Ram 3500 Limited CC dually with the Aisin. Plan on getting a bigger/heavier 5th wheel, as the one we had, was sold last earlier this year to a Camp Fire survivor.

I love the progression of the amenities and overall quality on the trucks. The new Cummins is exceptionally quiet (even quieter than my 2017) and the ride is relatively smooth even for a dually.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #20
DDavis

On Ram #3 myself, started with a 2016 1500 Big Horn, currently have a 2018 1500 Big Horn (DW's) and a 2018 3500 SRW Laramie. So far no issues with any of them (knock on wood). Currently towing a 31 foot travel trailer which was just a tad too much for the first 1500 but is no trouble at all for the 3500. The wife loves her 1500.
DDavis is offline   Reply With Quote