Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
LHaven

Fastway Onestep chocks

Since getting a TT with automatic levelers, I've been unhappy with my chocks.

I used to use just the plain yellow triangle chocks on my old rig. On this one, the levelers pick the frame up so that none of the chocks are touching anything, and when they put the frame down, it's always smack on top of at least one, usually both, which makes it hard to remove them.

I thought an X-chock would solve the problem, but I was wrong. An X-chock that's tight before you unhitch your TV is loose and sliding down between the tires by the time the body gets leveled. I expected the tires to preserve their relative spacing, but they don't. We twisted one up real good trying to remove it after hitching up this last trip, so I started looking at other alternatives.

I came across the Fastway Onestep chocks, and thought this might be a solution to my problem. I'm looking for input about how well or badly they work from people who use these or have tried them.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:42 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Any dual axle suspension will articulate and thus change the distance between the axles if lifted off the ground. The fulcrum between the axles will still pivot regardless of what's in between the tires.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:20 AM   #3
LHaven

I get that. But my thought was that with the wedges connected to one another, I would be less likely to get into a situation where the tires come back down tight on both sides simultaneously. I wanted to see if other users were satisfied with these devices, or if they are subject to some other failure mode that would be problematic.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:03 AM   #4
Wxman

I use one on the side I don't use the Andersen levelers and really like them. Easy to deploy and they actually put some pressure in both directions that IMHO helps stabilize some similar to an X-chock. (I use an x-chock on the Andersen leveler side).
With that said I don't see how they would really solve your problem. They have to be adjusted to the tire spacing to work correctly and if your spacing is changing that much with the auto level then they could get so tight you couldn't get them over center or so loose they weren't doing the job in both directions.

Good luck
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Canonman

I've found using the basic chocks works well to insure the Cougar doesn't move while unhitching and leveling. Once level, I add the X chocks but only if I'm planning on staying for a few days. It's my opinion that they provide added stability while parked. When I'm ready to break camp, I remove the X chocks first, attach the Cougar to the Ram, then remove the standard chocks. Never experienced the tires coming down on the chock where I couldn't easily remove them. Sometimes it required a little jockeying either back or forward but not any big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL4873.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	24370  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Canonman

Just to clarify my previous post, I believe the Onestep chocks would likely have the same issues as the X chocks. I would not give up one for the other IMHO
Old 11-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Old Mustanger

I use the fastway one step chocks. Yes, when the trailer levels the tire pull away from them but if you don't move them the tires will usually return to against them when you retract the rear jacks. I leave them in place when hitching and that does put more pressure on the front half and I have to pull the rear half free then pull forward just a hair to completely free them. The only problem I've ever had with them is the pull cable ends came off after a couple of uses, trip to hardware store for some cable fasteners and no problems since. I have been using them for 9 or 10 years now and would not go back to the old single chocks.
By the way X chocks are not to be used to stop a trailer from rolling and should not be installed until you are unhitched and level, and should be removed before retracting jacks and/or hitching up.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
I use the fastway one step chocks. Yes, when the trailer levels the tire pull away from them but if you don't move them the tires will usually return to against them when you retract the rear jacks...

By the way X chocks are not to be used to stop a trailer from rolling and should not be installed until you are unhitched and level, and should be removed before retracting jacks and/or hitching up.
Thanks.

My thought is that the chocks are only really useful at unhitching time until the levelers are deployed, and during the equivalent period when re-hitching. When those levelers are down, my trailer isn't going to roll off to anywhere. So if I'm not supposed to use X chocks during that period, I don't have much remaining use for them.

And though I realized the tires would pull off the chocks a bit when the levelers are set, I assumed they would settle back into much the same relative position when they were lowered again, especially since the arm between the chocks keeps the distance constant, unlike separate chocks. I may have to pull forward to remove a set, or I may have to pull backward, but at least I'll never have to pull both ways at once and risk crushing one of them (or my fingers).
Old 11-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Thanks.

My thought is that the chocks are only really useful at unhitching time until the levelers are deployed, and during the equivalent period when re-hitching. When those levelers are down, my trailer isn't going to roll off to anywhere. So if I'm not supposed to use X chocks during that period, I don't have much remaining use for them.

And though I realized the tires would pull off the chocks a bit when the levelers are set, I assumed they would settle back into much the same relative position when they were lowered again, especially since the arm between the chocks keeps the distance constant, unlike separate chocks. I may have to pull forward to remove a set, or I may have to pull backward, but at least I'll never have to pull both ways at once and risk crushing one of them (or my fingers).
You explained it much better than I did, maybe I should stop trying to do this so late at night.

I do still use the X-chocks after leveling (IF the tires are still on the ground), don't really know if they help any but I like to think so.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
MarkEHansen

We have the same trailer as you. I just place the chocks under the high side (this is the side less likely to be raised off the ground when leveling). Once the trailer is up on the levelers, I just bump the chocks out a little to take up the slack. Before lowering the trailer, I just pull the chocks back into the center, so the tires won't come down on them. If the trailer does try to roll, it's not going to get very far.

If the chocks do end up getting wedged in there, I just pull forward/back a little while the DW pulls them out. Never a problem.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
LHaven

I'll just mention that I no longer do one-sided chock jobs. I used to do them regularly until the day I unhitched on a brand-new smooth (but apparently unlevel) concrete pad outside College Station, TX, and actually had my rig start rotating around the chocked tires. The tongue jack was actually skidding, don't ask me how. It scared the life out of both of us.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'll just mention that I no longer do one-sided chock jobs. I used to do them regularly until the day I unhitched on a brand-new smooth (but apparently unlevel) concrete pad outside College Station, TX, and actually had my rig start rotating around the chocked tires. The tongue jack was actually skidding, don't ask me how. It scared the life out of both of us.
I had the same experience camping in the High Uintas. Forest service campground fairly undeveloped (dirt). Truly an unforgettable experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1250.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	24393  
Old 11-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #13
Phil Saran

I have a Cougar 30RLS 5th wheel trailer with electric jacks front and rear plus I
added 4 crank down jacks (2 per side). I use heavy duty black rubber chocks 2
per side. Nothing moves.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
JYR

https://youtu.be/ReKKvtyzvu8

Hi guys check this YouTube video out. Thanks
JYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
SR71 Jet Mech

When we had our TT I took a 4X4, cut 45’s on each end so it would slide in between the tires when loaded and not on levelers. Drilled a hole and ran a length of rope through to aid in removal. They would self center when TT came down off levelers. Obviously 1 for each side. I too won’t chalk only one side.
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote