Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Bumala

WEN 50A parallel connection kit - WARNING

I have a WEN 2k generator that I'm very happy with, but it doesn't provide enough power to run some of the high current loads in my rig, so I bought another 2k generator, and a 50A parallel connection kit, not because I thought I'd get 5kW out of two 2kW generators, but my camper has a 50A input cord, so it would save having to use a dog bone. I connected it to my camper and all sort of strange things began to happen. The voltage dropped in half, things wouldn't run, etc.

Come to find out, WEN wired the 50A plug Wrong. I first found this by measuring the vintage at the plug, and the LEDs on my Surge Guard, then confirmed it with WEN customer service.

A NEMA 14-50R connector should be wired as:
L1 - 120V, L2 - 120V, Nutral - Nutral, GND - Ground
L1 and L2 can be the same phase, such as used wing a dog bone, or 180 out of phase, like at your house, to give 240V.

They wired it as:
L1 - 120V, L2 - Nutral, Nutral - open, GND - Ground

It doesn't look like anything got wiped out on my camper, but do not use the 50A plug. It may damage your electrical.
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote