Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 03:13 AM   #1
rjrelander

Leaf Springs

I was planning on replacing the OEM bolts, bushings, and shackles on our trailer with heavier shackles, bronze bushings, and wet bolts when I repack the wheel bearings. Since I will have everything torn apart anyway, is it worth replacing the leaf springs at the same time? I assume that each is rated to at least 2000# since it's a 4000# axle but is it typical for 2000# leaf springs to only have three leafs? Otherwise, they look okay and I don't have any reason not to trust them.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
Hblick48

Don't assume that the springs are 2,000 pounds each because the axle is 4,000. My Monty has 6,000 pound axles and had 2,500 pound springs from the factory. We had two springs fail on two different trips. Also, the inside of all 4 tires wore down while the outside was fine.

Replaced all 4 springs with 3,000 pound rated ones from Etrailer. Just completed 9,000 mile trip. No broken springs and new tires are wearing evenly.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
rjrelander

Looked on etrailer and their springs for 4000# axles are three leaf as well so I'll probably just do a close inspection of the springs when I install the wet bolt kit and order a set if necessary. Next size up in that length are four leaf springs for 5000# axles and that would be way too stiff. Tires are wearing even after two seasons and the springs aren't sagging so no great concerns. I just mainly wanted to get the wet bolts, bronze bushings, and heavier shackles installed. Not sure why those aren't standard equipment.

Randi & Shirley
Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
ChuckS

After just two seasons you need to do all of this on your spring setup.. it should last way longer than this given the weight of the RV..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
Badbart56

Why? Leaf springs are not a maintenance wear item. Do you replace the leaf springs on your truck at specified intervals? If it ain't broke.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
rjrelander

If I had to tear apart the rear end of my truck for whatever reason and had any question about low quality or underrated OEM springs, then yes, I would not hesitate to replace the springs as part of whatever other work needed to be done. Not really a question of springs being a wear maintenance item or not. They really aren't.

Was originally just asking for opinions on the quality of OEM springs. Like I said earlier, I will have everything torn apart for installation of heavier shackles, bronze bushings, and wet bolts when I repack the wheel bearings. The OEM shackles are marginal at best, the nylon bushings wear out, and there is no way to lubricate the bolts. For 80 dollars and change per axle, it's an upgrade that I would not hesitate to recommend.

While inspecting, I looked at the existing three leaf springs and wasn't exactly confident of the OEM quality so was asking for feedback. I thought that if there was any question about OEM spring quality, it would be easier to swap them out while I have (almost) everything disassembled. Springs aren't very expensive so cost wasn't really an issue.

Right now, the decision is to stick with the OEM springs since equivalent replacements are also three leaf so I'm not as concerned about what I've got.

Randi & Shirley
Old 04-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
busterbrown

On my 7600# GVWR Bullet that was equipped with dual 3500 lb axles, Keystone decided to pair them with 1750 lb mono leaf springs on each side. Last year I had 2 of them break at the ubolts. RV manufacturers are definitely notorious for "barely adequate" fitments in regards to axles, springs, and tires.

Dexter sent me 4 new replacements but I decided to take the "financial hit" and go the safer route. I upgraded to 5200 lb axles with matching 5 pack leaf springs. Installed wet bolts too. Even had steel cross-members welded into place across the underbody from each spring and equalizer mount to help reduce the turning stresses. With larger 225/75/15" LRE tires (OEM were 14"), the new suspension has raised up the coach about 4 to 5 inches. This added heights helped tremendously when we boondocked last month throughout the southwest.

Bottom line is: I don't need to worry about my springs, axles, and tires anymore. I've got plenty of reserves under the frame.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Badbart56

Just sayin, I've had (and have) several trailers and RV's and never had an issue with leaf springs. To include equipment trailers of various sizes. Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time, but it's probably a rarity. I did break a couple of leaf springs on a Chevy 2500 but I had overloaded it with a gooseneck equipment trailer and I knew it. Strangely enough it wasn't noticed until the truck was being used in a restoration project. Didn't sag or anything.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote