Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Survey-Cable Slide Issues

Just wanted to throw this out and see what kind of responses are out there.

I am considering a new trailer. I am looking at Cougar and Montana High Country. The Cougars have 3 slides with one being cable operated. The HC has all cable operated slides. My question to the forum is to those that have cable operated slides. Have you had trouble with them? Lots or minimal?

I have 3 cable slides on mine currently. 2 have been very problematic and costly, the 3rd has been fine (smaller bedroom with rollers). I was going to let the cable/wear bar type of slide rule out any trailer along with Darco on the underside but that rules out the Cougars/High Countries and they have the floor plans, build quality (except for the bottom of the slides) and amenities I want so I am reconsidering. I won't go to Montana or other heavier brands because they would require a dually and I won't go there - just going to get a new 1 ton (I know, I know - but I will not build a new garage and I won't leave it outside under the pecan trees).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

I had a Cougar also. Had 1 problem with one noncable slide. On my 3nd HC. This one with 4 cable slides. Never had a problem with this unit or the last. Once on this one I had to wait for the batteries to can some juice to bring it in. I'd buy another.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
xrated

Danny, I'm sure you probably remember the issues I had with mine right after I bought it back in Oct. 2016.....if you don't, here's a bit of a recap.

The biggest issue that I had was because the adjustment rods for the 8 cables (times two slides), had no way from the factory to lock them down in place when they were adjusted correctly, and it didn't take long for them to get out of adjustment. I figured it all out, locked the adjusters down with some 1/4-20 nuts and mine was basically trouble free till I traded it a month or so ago. The one caveat for me.....these slides are probably a little more sensitive to the trailer being level when deployed, vs. other types of slides. And of course, over time I'm sure I would have had some issues with them because neither one of mine had rollers under them, and I think, in my opinion, that should be mandatory. I was going to install some rollers on mine sometime this year, but I traded the trailer off for a different brand, so that was a moot point I guess.

Overall, I don't think the cable slides are a bad system, but they need to be done correctly when installed and adjusted, and the way to achieve that is to lock down the adjusters AND have rollers under them.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks guys. That's what I'm trying to figure out; if the cable slides are that big of a problem or if there are tens of thousands of units working perfectly and, like everything else, you don't hear about them. I have to think that with the number of units Keystone puts out with them.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The latest statistics I could find show that in 2016, the "industry" sold 355,000 RV's. I'd suspect that at least 250,000 (probably more) had at least one slide and that at least half of them are "cable slides"....

So, I'd guess that at least 150,000 RV's a year are sold with cable slides. We hear about the 20 or 30 Keystone models that have a slide problem. We don't hear about the other 149,970 that don't......

Looking at the "problem" (or lack of a problem) from that perspective, I don't think I'd worry about what kind of slides a new RV has nearly as much as I'd worry about whether the water heater is bigger than 6 gallons and the floorplan gives us the comfort we want "when we upgrade"....

Oh, and if it doesn't have an automatic leveling system, it ain't leaving the lot behind my truck.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
Gegrad

Danny- I haven't really had any problems with my cables on either the Passport or Premier (knock on wood as I de-winterize this weekend). My bigger issue has been slide seals tearing, which is independent of the cable system.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The latest statistics I could find show that in 2016, the "industry" sold 355,000 RV's. I'd suspect that at least 250,000 (probably more) had at least one slide and that at least half of them are "cable slides"....

So, I'd guess that at least 150,000 RV's a year are sold with cable slides. We hear about the 20 or 30 Keystone models that have a slide problem. We don't hear about the other 149,970 that don't......

Looking at the "problem" (or lack of a problem) from that perspective, I don't think I'd worry about what kind of slides a new RV has nearly as much as I'd worry about whether the water heater is bigger than 6 gallons and the floorplan gives us the comfort we want "when we upgrade"....

Oh, and if it doesn't have an automatic leveling system, it ain't leaving the lot behind my truck.....

Ha! Yep, I'm back on track with that. Wanted a 6 point but the weight point those come in requires a dually so I'm good with the 4 point...beats the heck out of what we do right now....I'm thinking.

Talked to the General Sales Manager about the In Command system because I was worried about that. The High Country still had all the switches which I have more faith in...I think. He said the In Command is not a problem and the way they (Keystone) are going and it offers so much more than the manual rocker switches. I said "OK". Looks like I may have an In Command system and have to "adapt/relearn" yet again. What's next"? Are they going to make me get rid of my cassettes and learn to "stream" music?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
SummitPond

Danny

I am one of those ~150K John mentioned that have not experienced issues with the slide. Mind you, I am certain the slide on my old 19FBPR is smaller and lighter than something one would find on a model like you are considering. The motor was noisier than all-get-out, but I had no issues with cable tension, friction bar, racking or seal issues.

My new unit (Minnie Winnie) has a Schwintek drive on the slide; one thing I'll say for it is that the drive motors are quieter and it does have rollers.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:41 AM   #9
larry337

I had one cable fray and needed to be replaced. The cable replacement kit is on Amazon for roughly $29 and I replaced it myself. The dealer quoted $3-400 to replace. I also had to replace a motor, did that myself too. I think it was around $100. Just a thought but the Avalanche brand offers hydraulic slideouts and are priced similar to Montana HC.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #10
roadglide

I'm waiting for explosions of cables or brackets . Think there is a lot on of unjusted slides coming from the factory . Keystone will only warranty cables for 90 days . Depending on your dealer if they have the knowledge for adjustments .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
CaptnJohn

Im not sure it is the "weight issue " for the 6 point over 4. My 5er is over 42' and has the 6 point. The gvwr is 15,200 and I'm under all rating with an F350 srw. We scale at 14,100. With 3 group 27 batteries and a washer and a dryer up front I'm still 400 under payload. Length may have something to do with the 6 point as well.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
slow

Survey-Cable Slide Issues

My observation is that there are at least three unique implementations of the cable slide system over the years. The 2nd version in our 2015 TT appears to be an attempt to cost reduce the original system and it is a poor implementation IMO. Later model TTs appear to have a redesigned system with a few improvements.

As others have stated, activating the cable slide only when very close to the TT being level is important and we always have taken care to do so.

Even so, our negative experience with the cable slide is as follows:

* pulley mount deformed wall and was on the verge of failure - more of a wall construction issue than a slide issue. It looks like a reinforcement plate is now used on the inside wall in 2019 Bullets to address the issue I and others experienced.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9197.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	21317

* outside slide L brackets damaged rubber slide seals around cable holes when slide was closed - expensive to replace annually at $80 per set

* cables wearing a grove in aluminum slide frame cable openings and "catching" the end of the cable ends when the slide was near fully closed (probable cause of reported cable failures on other TTs)

* bottom slide seal torn

* bottom wear bar (no rollers on ours) deformed and contributing to bottom seal tear - due to high mileage on rough roads or heavy trifold sofa?

Therefore I am in the negative opinion camp when it comes to cable slides.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
Sulphur1

Same opinion as Slow.
A reasonably good system that should be simple and easy to adjust but like everything these days has been cheapened to make it a hassle to have. First time I've ever seen foam rubber blocks used as lock nuts. Kinda wonder if you guys will ever get back to the moon with this 'technology'.
I'm sure most of us would be happy to pay the 'extra' profit from cheapening in the interest of reliability.
Good system for small slides such as the bedroom in our Cougar HC. Came with side and bottom rollers. Also no cheap Darco on the bottom and bottom of sides have aluminium edge to prevent damage due to sun exposure.
The large slide is one big problem. The weight of the sofa obviously hasn't helped to the point of we turfed it out. Unable to get it to seal flush with inside wall when slide is out despite Norco's extra advice of jacking up to adjust. Wear bar being the operative word - how to build in failure!
Darco underside is being mashed up due to a suspect roller problem, not enough rollers used and the ones each end appear to be no longer effective. I suspect mounted on a non supported floor or just on the foam sandwich floor. No sun protection for the Darco either. The Darco looks like material used for corn bags here! Just cheap & destined to fail where its used.
The whole slide out is poorly constructed with the front upper headboard cut in the middle to incorporate a High Country carved centrepiece to cover the motor/gearbox. Who would design a room with the ceiling support cut in the centre held up with a bit of pine! It fell off on the first trip - so much for the High in HC! I've since had to make an aluminium truss to get the ceiling back level & attach the head boards to. Also had to seal the roof to back angle to stop the waterfall when it rained.
Same deal with everything here in Australia at twice the price than yours & all Chinese made.
It can all be fixed put it takes time that we should be using & enjoying it.
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #14
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just wanted to throw this out and see what kind of responses are out there.

I am considering a new trailer. I am looking at Cougar and Montana High Country. The Cougars have 3 slides with one being cable operated. The HC has all cable operated slides. My question to the forum is to those that have cable operated slides. Have you had trouble with them? Lots or minimal?

I have 3 cable slides on mine currently. 2 have been very problematic and costly, the 3rd has been fine (smaller bedroom with rollers). I was going to let the cable/wear bar type of slide rule out any trailer along with Darco on the underside but that rules out the Cougars/High Countries and they have the floor plans, build quality (except for the bottom of the slides) and amenities I want so I am reconsidering. I won't go to Montana or other heavier brands because they would require a dually and I won't go there - just going to get a new 1 ton (I know, I know - but I will not build a new garage and I won't leave it outside under the pecan trees).
With a one ton pickup there are many heavier brands and models that can be towed. My latest RV, a luxury extended stay 5th wheel, weighs in at 16000 GVWR with 2350 pin. The unit is 35 feet long.
I tow with a one ton SRW that has 25,300 GCW and towing capacity of 16,660 and payload of 4130.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #15
Bugz1985

My cables are 5 yrs. old had one side adjusted 2 times no big deal.
Bugz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #16
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
My observation is that there are at least three unique implementations of the cable slide system over the years. The 2nd version in our 2015 TT appears to be an attempt to cost reduce the original system and it is a poor implementation IMO. Later model TTs appear to have a redesigned system with a few improvements.

As others have stated, activating the cable slide only when very close to the TT being level is important and we always have taken care to do so.

Even so, our negative experience with the cable slide is as follows:

* pulley mount deformed wall and was on the verge of failure - more of a wall construction issue than a slide issue. It looks like a reinforcement plate is now used on the inside wall in 2019 Bullets to address the issue I and others experienced.
Attachment 21317

* outside slide L brackets damaged rubber slide seals around cable holes when slide was closed - expensive to replace annually at $80 per set

* cables wearing a grove in aluminum slide frame cable openings and "catching" the end of the cable ends when the slide was near fully closed (probable cause of reported cable failures on other TTs)

* bottom slide seal torn

* bottom wear bar (no rollers on ours) deformed and contributing to bottom seal tear - due to high mileage on rough roads or heavy trifold sofa?

Therefore I am in the negative opinion camp when it comes to cable slides.
I too had problems with the cable systems.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
With a one ton pickup there are many heavier brands and models that can be towed. My latest RV, a luxury extended stay 5th wheel, weighs in at 16000 GVWR with 2350 pin. The unit is 35 feet long.

I tow with a one ton SRW that has 25,300 GCW and towing capacity of 16,660 and payload of 4130.

That is a lot of payload for a crew cab 4x4 diesel 1 ton see. Especially if any upgraded trim. A little description please as I'll be truck shopping soon.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 04-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #18
rtbfgb

I have a 2013 cougar high country 321 res The slides without rollers would chatter. Took to dealer & it came back worse with cables out of adjustment. I readjusted them & called slide manufacturer who said to adjust so top cables were slightly tighter than lower cables,& lube underneath slide with zep 45. Worked fine ever since
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 rwd
rtbfgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide