Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Ranchhand

Gatlinburg TN Smokey Mts.

Thinking long term here and planning a trip with the kids for next years spring break to the smokey mountains in Gatlinburg Tennessee sometime around the end of march first of april. Probably would be a 5 to 7 night stay with a 38.5 foot fifth wheel and would prefer someplace with full hookup. Anyone have any good campground recommendations around the Gatlinburg area.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Anchor Down. Make reservations NOW as it fills quickly .

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
Buckeyexx

Check out river plantation rv resort in Sevierville. It’s a nice quite campground with a lazy river and all kinds of things for kids to do. I have stayed there two different times and loved it both times. If your not familiar with sevierville it is the town just before pigeon forge and Gatlinburgh.
Buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

I stayed at Riverbend Campground early last fall and drove to the top of the national park from there. It was a real nice campground right on the Little Pigeon River. The campground was set back from the main highway that goes through Pigeon Forge. The area looked attractive for family activities but was a little too much for me and the wife.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Vet4jdc

We stayed at Twin Creek RV Resort a couple of years ago. It's right outside Gatlinburg. You can catch the shuttle to town.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
ken56

What will be the focus of the trip? Entertainment or the Nat'l Park? There are many nice CG's outside of G'burg on RT. 321, all will accommodate your rig with FHU. More choices in Pigeon Forge and will be closer to the entertainment., dinner shows and Dollywood to go carts and Ripley's Museum.

If you would like a pool for the kids stay at Pine Mountain in PF. They have an indoor pool available at their motel across the street that you can use. River plantation is nice too but has an outdoor pool. Lots of options so do your research and come on down and have fun.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
roadglide

I made reservations at Elkmont at Great Smokey mountains last week for 6 days in April . Thete is no electric or water , dump station are available in the park. Most camp sites are reserved for the weekends , what can expect for 62 dollars with national park pass. My experience is when you can stay inside national park where preservation kept the experience is better . I Iike U TUBE when reserving national parks .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
gearhead

https://www.upthecreekrvcamp.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
What will be the focus of the trip? Entertainment or the Nat'l Park? There are many nice CG's outside of G'burg on RT. 321, all will accommodate your rig with FHU. More choices in Pigeon Forge and will be closer to the entertainment., dinner shows and Dollywood to go carts and Ripley's Museum.

If you would like a pool for the kids stay at Pine Mountain in PF. They have an indoor pool available at their motel across the street that you can use. River plantation is nice too but has an outdoor pool. Lots of options so do your research and come on down and have fun.
Focus of the trip will probably be mostly about the kids. Kids will be 9 and 7 next year so it would be nice to stay at a campground with a few amenities for them but was also thinking about the national park and maybe Dollywood. I don’t mind traveling a little bit to go for some things but don’t really want to travel to far to have to go see something.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

Great little CG with zero amenities. Away from but close to everything.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:13 AM   #11
ken56

Ranchhand, I would recommend staying in the Pigeon Forge area instead of G'burg. G'burg can be seen in a day or two. There are a couple things the kids might be interested in, The Aquarium of the Smokies, Ober Gatlinburg is putting in summer tubing on their ski hill and Anakeesta is a new attraction with a very cool zipline feature. The rest of G'burg is restaurants and tee shirt shops really. There are a few other attractions but for the most part That's pretty much it.

The Nat'l park can be seen in a day too unless you are into hiking to waterfalls and such. Not much in it really. There is Cades Cove at the Townsend end and there is Clingmans Dome that is off 441, the road going through the park. Spectacular views from the observation tower. New Found Gap road goes into Cherokee NC and it has the Museum of the Cherokee Indian that is worth going through and its an easy drive.

Staying in PF puts you in the middle of everything. Dollywood is opening a new section and for a 9 and a 7 year old I think that would be the highlight of the trip. Its a pricy ticket so be prepared for sticker shock, regular price is 74 bucks this year but a couple discounts can be had. Military gets 30% off and Coke is offering 40 bucks off 4 tickets on specially marked packages of Coke so look for it in the grocery stores when you get in town.

The Island is a fairly new entertainment complex too worth visiting. Paula Deen's restaurant is there, fantastic. There are so many choices for things to do you will have to really do some picking and choosing.

We moved down here from MI 6 years ago and love it. We live 25 miles outside of the crazy busy and play tourist ourselves once in a while. Stay at Pine Mountain CG just for the indoor pool availability for the kids. The brand new The Ridge CG is within a mile of Dollywood if that is more convenient. Do your research for discount coupons and attractions and the dinner shows. You and the kids will have blast.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
MSB1766

Stayed at Anchor Down last summer, great place.
http://www.anchordownrvresort.com/
Lots to do in the Pidgen Forge/ Gattlenburg area:

https://www.mypigeonforge.com/

https://www.gatlinburg.com/to-do/attractions/
MSB1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
notanlines

Ranch, I won't portend to give advice on entertaining your children. I will say that our grandboys and grandgirls could not care less what the view might be from Clingman's Dome or how wonderful the Cherohala Skyway can be on a misty morning. What I do know is that all five of those in attendance a few years ago remember every detail of our three days at the waterparks of Wilderness in the Smokies and Golden Corral dinners at night. Maybe one of you can explain to me how a thirteen year old can play with cousins and siblings for ten hours at a waterpark and have energy enough for a banana split at 10 PM but is worn out at home after mowing for 45 minutes....And, yes, Golden Corral much to my DW's dismay. It was that or Taco Bell every night.
Ken has made some good recommendations. I can't help with the campgrounds.
And keep this in mind: The price has long been forgotten, only the quality remains.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #14
Old Mustanger

You might want to check out Adventure Bound, Gatlinburg, lots for the kids to do.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
KYFamily

Been to the Smokies more times than I can count. We like Anchor Downs and River Plantation but have stayed at Jellystone outside of Gatlinburg. Were staying at Anchor Downs again this year on our way back from Mrytle Beach. We have 3 Kids and they like both RP and AD. Personally I think I'll start going back to RP just because it's closer to everything even though is not that big of a drive from AD. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #16
Tooth Ferry

It will probably still be cool at that time so check and see if the cg has heated pool if that is important. River Plantation or Pine Mtn ,either one is nice but are concrete parks not like nature experience. If you would want a more "camping" experience I like Greenbriar cg north of Gburg a little bit up hwy 321. More nature but some kid things, swimming is in a nice cold creek. Good hiking for kids at the end of "Little Greenbriar" entrance to GSMNP just across 321 from the campground. Go to Sugarlands Ranger Station at Gburg and let the kids do the "Junior Ranger" program and also buy a wildflower book and let them have a contest to find the most different wildflowers.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #17
xrated

I don't know if the kids would enjoy the Titanic exhibition, but that's another thing to do if you think they might. We went when it first opened 5 or 6 years ago and it was awesome. Check it out online if you are interested.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:43 AM   #18
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB1766 View Post
Stayed at Anchor Down last summer, great place.
http://www.anchordownrvresort.com/
Lots to do in the Pidgen Forge/ Gattlenburg area:

https://www.mypigeonforge.com/

https://www.gatlinburg.com/to-do/attractions/
How much shade is at Anchor down? One of the big complaints in the reviews is that there isn’t any shade and everything is paved so it gets really hot. I realize being there in early April that temperature is probably not to big of a deal but would still like to be where there is some shade.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #19
MSB1766

There is hardly any shade there, The upper area near the entrance has shade.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...!4d-83.5188985
MSB1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #20
MrScary

Ha! Anchor Down.....Call now to book NEXT year...they are essentially full this year! Rated 3rd best in the country (first in my opinion). Awesome place...
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote