Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
yesiamapirate

Good Tires?

My F150 has: 275/55R20 BSW tires. Are these considered good tires for towing? If I were going to replace them, what would you folks recommend? Thank you!!!
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiamapirate View Post
My F150 has: 275/55R20 BSW tires. Are these considered good tires for towing? If I were going to replace them, what would you folks recommend? Thank you!!!
LT (light truck) tires.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
yesiamapirate

Thank you. My truck is a 2016 and the original tires are already getting worn. I was not impressed. I have about 30 thousand miles.
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
Gegrad

Quote:
Thank you. My truck is a 2016 and the original tires are already getting worn. I was not impressed. I have about 30 thousand miles.
Yep, that's all you typically get on factory tires, unless you specifically purchased an upgraded tire. My factory Coopers did about the same on my Chevy.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
rdhouston

I had 65k miles on the Goodyear tires on my 2015 Ford F150 when I replaced them. I replaced with same P series. Never had a problem.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
notanlines

What Joe said, LT tires will be the best for towing. The brand for a half ton I can't help you with, but Michelin or Goodyear usually work their way to the top.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

IMO you need LT tires if you are towing a trailer of any size - they just make the towing experience (handling) so much better on a 1/2 ton. Having bought many, many different brands of tires over the years I'm now (again) partial to Michelin but don't know if they have an LT in your size. I've read several favorable comments about Cooper tires as well but I've never ran any.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:

The following quote is from page #397 in the 2018 Ford F150 owner's manual. There are about 35 pages of towing information starting on page 283. The only mention of tires is for Original Equipment tires.

"Only use replacement tires and wheels that are the same size, load index, speed rating and type (such as P-metric versus LT-metric or all-season versus all-terrain) as those originally provided by Ford. The recommended tire and wheel size may be found on either the Safety Compliance Certification Label (affixed to either the door hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver's seating position), or the Tire Label which is located on the B-Pillar or edge of the driver's door. If this information is not found on these labels, then you should contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible. Use of any tire or wheel not recommended by Ford can affect the safety and performance of your vehicle, which could result in an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal injury and death."

Remember, that's not my information. It's from the vehicle manufacturer. I'm just passing it on.

Here's the link to the manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_12_2018.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Hankster

I just put D load rated BF Goodrich KO2 all Terrains on my Ram 1500. Now have 8 play tread and much stiffer sidewalls. I haven't towed with them yet, but will be leaving out for Florida in 4 weeks, and don't have any doubts they'll perform better than the Goodyear SRA tires that we're on it originally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190216_171329054.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	20516  
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:04 AM   #10
Fishsizzle

LT for me, 2015 F150

BSW= Black Side Wall (no raise white letters)

Toyo RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A14137C-C486-4439-8DC6-B05FC13BBAB1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	20518  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:20 AM   #11
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The following quote is from page #397 in the 2018 Ford F150 owner's manual. There are about 35 pages of towing information starting on page 283. The only mention of tires is for Original Equipment tires.

"Only use replacement tires and wheels that are the same size, load index, speed rating and type (such as P-metric versus LT-metric or all-season versus all-terrain) as those originally provided by Ford. The recommended tire and wheel size may be found on either the Safety Compliance Certification Label (affixed to either the door hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver's seating position), or the Tire Label which is located on the B-Pillar or edge of the driver's door. If this information is not found on these labels, then you should contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible. Use of any tire or wheel not recommended by Ford can affect the safety and performance of your vehicle, which could result in an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal injury and death."

Remember, that's not my information. It's from the vehicle manufacturer. I'm just passing it on.

Here's the link to the manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_12_2018.pdf
This is written in such a way as to be able to release them from liability if you have some type of tire related accident. The reason they (the manufacturer) use such lightweight tires on a pickup is to meet MPG standards, and the lowest possible cost to their bottom line. The Ford rep isn't going to be there when I'm towing a heavy trailer, or on some Backcountry gnarly *** road to reach my favorite fishing hole, or chukar hunting spot. I'll gladly give up a little bit of handling for a D or E rated tire on my rig, and I know it's not going to feel the same especially when empty. My truck no longer has as much Nimbleness.

It's just like shoes, I can put on running shoes and have lots of agility, but if I'm walking out in a plowed field, or a rocky trail with a backpack, I'm not going to do it in a pair of Converse Chuck Conners. I'm going to get a boot that offers some support, and has a good heavy sole so rocks and sticks don't poke up through them.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
This is written in such a way as to be able to release them from liability if you have some type of tire related accident. The reason they (the manufacturer) use such lightweight tires on a pickup is to meet MPG standards, and the lowest possible cost to their bottom line. The Ford rep isn't going to be there when I'm towing a heavy trailer, or on some Backcountry gnarly *** road to reach my favorite fishing hole, or chukar hunting spot. I'll gladly give up a little bit of handling for a D or E rated tire on my rig, and I know it's not going to feel the same especially when empty. My truck no longer has as much Nimbleness.

It's just like shoes, I can put on running shoes and have lots of agility, but if I'm walking out in a plowed field, or a rocky trail with a backpack, I'm not going to do it in a pair of Converse Chuck Conners. I'm going to get a boot that offers some support, and has a good heavy sole so rocks and sticks don't poke up through them.
If you were to stop your Ford rep or rv rep on the street & ask the approved tire size/ load on either I'd bet a sawbuck they wouldn't have the slightest clue & further more without that prepared CYA statement above they really don't care.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
CWtheMan

As vehicle users we look at things completely differently than those responsible for building them for us. Because very few of us are ever going to become familiar with all the building rules and regulations that must be linked together before the final vehicle certification, we tend to take the federal certification process lightly, including the items of most importance found on the actual label.

So, it’s a fact; vehicle manufacturers are solely responsible for the Original Equipment tires on any vehicle they build. If they do not or will not offer options, they have no other choice than to support their OE tire selections. That’s because of the short statement on the federal certification label that says; “This vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S. federal motor vehicle safety, bumper, and theft prevention standards in effect on the date of manufacture.”

There is a statement of direction given to vehicle manufacturers about tires that are germane to the above quote. It tells the vehicle manufacturer to select tires and set their inflation pressures that makes their fitment to that vehicle appropriate. Without options they cannot back-off from that statement. They have certified it to be true and safe.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires