Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
dangerdave

New member concerned about Keystone reviews

Hi all,

New member here. We are considering buying a 2017 High Country 310RE. I recognize all RV makers have positive and negative reviews, but it seems we are reading a lot of concerning reviews for Keystone. Fit and finish, customer service, etc.

I'm likely to chock this up to the internet, but I'd welcome some feedback from long time happy Keystone 5th wheel owners?

Thank you!!
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

We've had our Cougar a little over ten years. A few minor problems were fixed promptly by the dealer and Keystone under warranty. Other than routine maintenance and normal wear we have been very happy with this 5er.

When you consider how many RVs Keystone sells, their record is not that bad. JM2¢, Hank .... Travel safely and enjoy.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Keystone is like every other RV maker - they have good days and bad days in my opinion. Likewise every RV maker has good reviews and bad reviews. Thor;Keystone is the largest RV maker out there so you are going to see more "reviews" of their products than others.

Just completed a tour of products at CW Tallahassee yesterday looking at their "premium" line of TT. The best that Jayco and Forest River offered could not hold a candle to the quality and amenities offered in our 2014 Keystone Cougar High Country (the only premium TT offered by Keystone that I know of...discontinued in 2014) - the sales manager agreed that it was hard for the other manufacturers to match the quality and amount of "amenities" that Keystone puts in their products. In fact, when I asked about heated underbellies/tanks they said both manufacturers used "radiant" heat to keep the tanks/lines from freezing, not ducted heat like ours.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #4
dangerdave

Reviews

Thank you for the replies!

I agree. Keystone wouldn't continue to sell so many units if they were hugely problematic. We walked our unit high and low before deciding and were impressed with the quality and amenities. My wife especially with the kitchen.

We are coming from 2 Jayco TTs. A hybrid and then the 27RLS. Moving up as we learn.

We had fit and finish issues with the Jaycos, so we have reasonable expectations. I just want the major systems to function well.
2 Golden Retrievers
Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 AM   #5
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
Thank you for the replies!

We are coming from 2 Jayco TTs. A hybrid and then the 27RLS. Moving up as we learn.

We had fit and finish issues with the Jaycos, so we have reasonable expectations. I just want the major systems to function well.
You have got to remember that most all, if not all major systems are all the same. The same name brand frigs, stoves, microwaves, HWHs, etc.
its the basic construction and materials used that defer from manufacture to manufacture. roofing, siding, most all the frames, axles, etc pretty much the same.
I have had 2 cougars, one TT and now the 5er, both bought new. I have found minor problems but not nothings that wasn't fixed in the first year or something I could fix without dragging them back to the dealer.
I had one mishap in the 5er of my own causing and the dealer worked with me to get the parts and I fixed it myself and maybe did a better job. so just saying overall I have no complaints with my Cougar.
Good luck,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
Barbell

Our Montana will soon be 4 years old. It hasn't been completely trouble free; bad bimetal breaker caused loss of all DC power; 2 jacks leaking oil; black tank valve failed. Jacks were replaced under extended warranty and the other two were minimal costwise. Other than that, no problems. As has been pointed out, components are pretty much the same regardless of the name on the rig. We spent over two years looking before we decided on the Montana. We saw a number of new rigs on dealer's lot with obvious problems; Open Range and Heartland are two I recall. We liked the Cardinal (Forest River) and a few others but kept coming back to the Montana. Note that there is a difference between a regular Montana and the Montana High Country. The HC is not just lighter, it is more cheaply built and it shows. If we were doing it again, we would avoid the carpet in living room. Otherwise, still happy with what we have and will have it for quite a while.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
1st Chev Diesel

We purchased our Alpine 3101RL in May 2015. Used it in 2015 for 10 weeks and about 15 weeks in 2016. We just love it. Had some warranty issues but my dealer and Keystone took care of all of them. The rig is well made with great finishes. Love the 6 point level up system.

I think the biggest asset you have, if any repairs are needed, is to have a great dealer acting for you with Keystone.
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
Hi all,

New member here. We are considering buying a 2017 High Country 310RE. I recognize all RV makers have positive and negative reviews, but it seems we are reading a lot of concerning reviews for Keystone. Fit and finish, customer service, etc.

I'm likely to chock this up to the internet, but I'd welcome some feedback from long time happy Keystone 5th wheel owners?

Thank you!!
We had a Cougar 318SAB 5ver. Absolutely no problems. Now have a 2013 Cougar 24RKSWE TT and no problems with it either. I have done a few upgrades to both units just for our own convenience.
Maybe just lucky as both units were bought used.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
Tbos

New member concerned about Keystone reviews

Dave,
There are some real happy 5er owners here. There are also some that have had issues. I have friends that have different types of 5ers, non-Keystone and they have had issues. Chuckster57 is a tech that works on them all and he has confirmed the issues exist through the entire industry and not just Keystone. A good PDI and regular maintenance will help solve or reduce issues. Check out some of the other manufacturers forums and you'll hear them complain too. In the FWIW column, Thor the parent company of Keystone now owns Jayco.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
spokedintheeye

I purchased a new bullet last August. Had a bunch of problems from the start. I'm one of the unlucky ones. I had a Jayco before that had no issues. I could have purchased a new Jayco and had problems as well. I bet there are other people who have had a Jayco or another brand of TT who had their share problems and now have a keystone that's perfect. Chevy Diesel said it perfectly, if you purchase from good dealer they will help take care of you if problems arise. Good Hunting! And enjoy what ever TT you purchase. It's good times.

Sent by me
spokedintheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
geobet

Danger Dave: I had the exact set up you have when I bought my 310RE. As soon as I towed it home, I stopped at a cat scale to weigh it. My 2013 Ram 2500 cummins had no problems with towing or handling. You might want to consider weighing yours as well. I found out I only had 40# to spare on the rear axle and was over gross by 900#. Rear tires only had a margin of 200#. And, Momma wanted a washer & dryer. I knew that would eat up my meager margins, SO, long story short, traded for a 2017 Ram 3500 and haven't looked back. Plus, since momma gets a washer & dryer, I get a new Ram. My kind of trade off. Good luck and happy camping.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
dangerdave

Thank you all, very helpful.
2 Golden Retrievers
Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
gearhead

I think you have a fair chance of buying a dud from any manufacturer. We toured the Montana factory last spring and there's not much high tech about it.
I would do some research on the particular components that whatever unit uses. Some Dometic refrigerators have particular issues as some Dometic A/C units.
I would do a lot asking around about whatever dealer you may use. You may get a good price somewhere but they may not be able to repair a tricycle.
Also, if you are thinking about buying soon, check the manufacture date. I'm on the road now and have seen several trailers being delivered with road salt all over them. Just me, I would wait.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
gearhead

Yeah geobet is on it regarding weights. Add about 1000 to advertised pin weight. Add the weight of hitch and whatever else.....generator, etc.
I got a pretty good trade in on my f350 for the Ram. Lol
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
mtofell

Bought my 2016 Keystone Hideout new exactly a year ago and am happy to say I haven't really had anything go wrong at all. As others have said, buying an RV of any brand is a roll of the dice. I think most of the time if things are going to go wrong it will be in the first year so you can at least think of getting extended warranty before yours expires.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #16
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
. I'm on the road now and have seen several trailers being delivered with road salt all over them. Just me, I would wait.
My thoughts:
1) Gearhead is right. Wait until they're not being delivered on salted roads. The factory frames don't have much paint.

2) I think it's more likely than not that you'll have some factory defects that need attention. The dealer is first in line to handle these. See if you can get a feel for repair times on warranty BEFORE buying. Keystone doesn't make it easy on dealers and you're required to go to the dealer.

3) If you expect it to be warranty repaired at any Keystone dealer, you might want to rethink it.

They (most RVs) are largely made from the same components in the same manner. They're built by people - so mistakes are made. There are big differences in service between dealers... And (perhaps) some differences in service policy on warranty between brands.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

My advice is take hours inside a unit. You have a idea which one you want but, walk thru other models as well. The one you end up wanting really look it over. Have the salesman show you how things work. Sit on all the chairs, the bed, get in the shower. If you do a great job at looking, you will find stuff not done 100%. Have that stuff listed in the purchase to get fixed. Doing a proper PDI is important.
Many things people complain about on here would have been seen if they just looked. My last RV cost almost 2x times the cost of the cougar when looking at MSRP and it had problems. This cougar had problems and I pointed them out to the dealer. They were fixed or written up to be fixed before I signed and left the dealer my money.
Lastly hope you find a great dealer to buy from. That may be most important thing, to get taken care of regarding any issues that come up.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
My advice is take hours inside a unit. You have a idea which one you want but, walk thru other models as well. The one you end up wanting really look it over. Have the salesman show you how things work. Sit on all the chairs, the bed, get in the shower. If you do a great job at looking, you will find stuff not done 100%. Have that stuff listed in the purchase to get fixed. Doing a proper PDI is important.
Many things people complain about on here would have been seen if they just looked. My last RV cost almost 2x times the cost of the cougar when looking at MSRP and it had problems. This cougar had problems and I pointed them out to the dealer. They were fixed or written up to be fixed before I signed and left the dealer my money.
Lastly hope you find a great dealer to buy from. That may be most important thing, to get taken care of regarding any issues that come up.
Very well said! The problem most people have is being anxious to get the RV to a campground and enjoy. I know it is hard to be patient and do your due diligence. Been there done that.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #19
gnirwin

I have a Alpine I bought new last year. had a couple issues with vendor's parts being bad and replaced hassle free from my great dealer under warranty. I too have read people complaining about all brands. I think the dealer is very important. Study them as much as you do the 5th wheel. There should be on line reviews.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #20
CaptnJohn

Have had my Cougar 303 RLS over 13 months. Dealer had a tech do a PDI before we came to do it again. We found nothing in over 2 1/2 hours. It was hot and AC blasted then the furnace for a few moments ~ not enough time. On our 1st trip Atwood sent a mobile tech as we were 750 miles from home/dealer. Had a fender replaced under warranty just prior to it the expiration. We have used it over 100 nights and 8000 miles.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone