Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
Mnitba

King size bed

I noticed that many if the new Cougar floorplans offer a king-size bed but as you start looking at older models they seem nonexistent. Could someone tell me what year they started adding king-size beds or provide any additional info? We are looking at travel trailers, no bunks. Thanks!
Mnitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The "king size" bed was first offered in the Cougar XLite (eastern) and Cougar Half Ton (western) in 2016. Those trailers began showing up on dealer's lots in around March 2015. The "king bed" is not available in Cougar fifth wheels or in Cougar Half Ton (XLite) fifth wheels. It's only available in the travel trailer line.

That said, ALL RV manufacturers (not just Keystone) are extremely "innovative" in what they call a "king size bed". You may well find anything from "short kings" (72x72) all the way up to "S&B measurements" (76x80). Don't believe the name, take the measurements yourself or you may find that you can't buy sheets in any size to fit the "standard king size mattress" in a specific floorplan....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
MarkEHansen

And don't trust the specs published by Keystone. Our 2019 Cougar Half-ton "king" bed is about 8 inches shorter than what the spec reads
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
fjr vfr

Also, I've seen owners modify their existing trailer's bed to increase it to a king size. It doesn't work with every floor plan and they usually remove a cabinet on one side for the mod.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #5
DocP

The size of the mattresses that are called "king" vary widely. For example, the king bed in the 2019 Cougar 32RLI is 70x80. A "standard" king is 76x80. When my bedroom slide (2018 Cougar 32RLI) is fully closed, the foot of the mattress is right up against the dresser on the opposite wall. As noted in previous posts, finding good-fitting sheets is often a challenge!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Mnitba

Thanks everyone! With both of us being +/- 6' tall as well as pretty overweight, I am really trying to find as close to true king as possible. We are buying a travel trailer as opposed to fifth wheel. I guess this is going to be a hunt! Going full- time!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

Both my wife and I are on the larger side. Our previous trailer had a Queen-size bed and it was really cramped, width-wise. In our new trailer, it is a "King" (with all the caveats) but it is wider than the previous trailer and is a lot more comfortable for us.

It's supposed to be 80 inches long and is only about 74 inches long. I would like it to be longer, but with that comes less clearance to get past the bed, so it's a double-edged sword.

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Best advice is take a ruler along and actually measure it, Some times looks can be deceiving
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnitba View Post
Thanks everyone! With both of us being +/- 6' tall as well as pretty overweight, I am really trying to find as close to true king as possible. We are buying a travel trailer as opposed to fifth wheel. I guess this is going to be a hunt! Going full- time!

Be prepared for a long hunt, but, spend the time required to get what you want/need. We decided to do that with this trailer instead of just getting something that would "work" and have been extremely pleased. In fact, I keep wanting to get a new trailer with self leveling (not available when we bought this one) but cannot find a trailer of any kind that has a better floorplan or more storage that "fits us". It took us a long time and lots of time in RV stores and inside units but it paid off as far as we are concerned. Make sure you know exactly what you want. When we were planning on upgrading before coming to spend our first winter in FL I was talking to the manager of the park where we were going to be (a wonderful little old lady that was full timing AND living [still is] with stage IV bone cancer) and she told me "be sure you get 1) tinted windows, 2) porcelain toilet, 3) large air conditioner, 4) quality build and 5) a layout you can be comfortable in." Of course there are many other factors to consider but she tried to lay out the basics and she was on the money. Good luck, time searching/researching is time well spent.

As far as beds, we had not slept on anything but a king mattress (true kings) in decades and thought we could not have anything less. We are not tall but are a bit overweight. We only wanted a bumper pull vs a 5th wheel and found that those offering a king really were cramped and couldn't come up with what we wanted. Opted for a full size queen and have found, much to our surprise, that we sleep exceptionally well in it. Can't just "sprawl" all over the place like I sometimes do on the bigger bed but it hasn't affected my sleeping one bit. I will say that was not the case until we replaced the factory "luxury" mattress with a nice aftermarket one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Howie

Mnitba, we had the first year of the Cougar with the King bed and as others have stated it is 5" shorter than a "real" King. I am 6'2" so that was a surprise. Did some looking and found Cougar 5th wheel with a full length Queen but extra space on sides of bed within the slide. We measured and could easily fit a Olympic Queen with no modifications. The OQ is halfway between a Queen and a King and is a full length. We ordered a OQ super hooty foam matress from a online store for about $650 and we now prefer it over our King Temperic in the house. We just use King sheets and blankets and it is an excellent solution to too small of a bed. We could actually order a King and have a few inches taken out of the width at the top of the bed and it would still fit inside the slide and be a King for the other 5'. They will make a custom shape and size if you want.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
Mnitba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Best advice is take a ruler along and actually measure it, Some times looks can be deceiving
Is it ok to use a tape measure?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Depends on how wide you are

Good one
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
JackTyniec

Our 2018 Cougar 32 RLi also has a "king bed" and is a little narrower and shorter than a regular king but an improvement over the RV queen bed we had in our 2014 Jayco. We bought a set of Wal-mart's best king sheet sets and have been very happy. They're oversized but the fitted bottom sheet tucks around it pretty well.
JackTyniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #14
Dave Gamble

The 2019 half-ton Cougar TTs have a 6” longer King mattress than earlier years. We were looking at a 2018 26RBS but waited for the 2019 to get the closer-to-full-size King. However... while it is a wide mattress, we lose some of the width to two closets on either side of the bed.
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
MarkEHansen

Some of them get the longer mattress. Although the sales literature says the 2019 26RBSWE comes with the longer mattress, our unit came with a short one. When we complained, they said our particular unit was an early 2019, produced before they changed the 2019 specification. Oh well. Bait-n-switch
Old 12-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
kjohn

Our 2017 21RBS had a "king" bed. We didn't get around to it, but we planned to put a normal queen mattress in it. The supposed king is a poor fit all around. We are to get a new 21RBS, so that's likely what we will do.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
Javi

We were looking at trailers with king beds (which we have at home) until the DW noticed how tight the walk around was.. now we're asking if we can order the trailer with a queen.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
Bolo4u

Quote:

Whip out one each of these, and tell the salesperson, you need measure the bed...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8067.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	19468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8069.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	19469Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8068.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	19470
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #19
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

The layout of the 2018 22Rbs with the king bed works very well for a smaller trailer. There's no wall dividing the room just a curtain if needed...open concept couples trailer...It's easy to crawl into bed at night The mattress is smaller than the home king but we make our sheets from home work.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
Steveo57

Our "king size" bed in our 2018 Cougar 22RBS was shorter and skinnier than a real king. We got rid of the mattress and put in a queen size mattress that is the same as the one on our bed at home. I just cut down the plywood base so we have more room on the sides and it works for us. I hate these odd size mattresses they put in. It's usually a lousy mattress and it's difficult to get bedding to fit.

Tags
bed