Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
TNT Miller

AC/Furnace turns off when lights turned on

Here's a weird one . In My 2013 Laredo 266RL there two light switches near the entry door one of the switches turns an a row of lights above the couch . If the AC is running and You turn on that row of lights the AC shuts off and will not restart until I turn off the lights Same with the Furnace . I believe it is all related to the 12 System but I did check the 120 volt side of the AC it appears to be okay . The thermostat is 12 volts as is the furnace . all fuses are good .
Is there a relay that could have gone bad ? where might it be ?
Thank You In advance- Todd
TNT Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
Wingerdinger

I would first check your battery, a bad or dead battery can cause odd issues. Disconnect it, and try it again.
Also, you could have a pinched or shorted wire to the lights I suppose.. are they LED, or incandescent? LED can look fine and run with low voltage. Maybe a bad LED.
Next, I would look at the voltage at the power wire of your thermostat, while someone operates the lights. It should be over 12 volts while on shore power. You should find the power under the thermostat cover. Be careful in there, a probe in the wrong place could damage things.
There are no relays that aren't part of an appliance.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
travelin texans

The only item common to the AC & furnace is the t stat, which is where I'd start checking. The AC runs off 120 volts only, while the furnace only 12 volt, both controlled by the t stat. If not I agree, low voltage from your batteries cause strange things to work or not work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
Johnnyfry

First check to see if the t-stat and light are on the same fuse. Using a multi meter monitor when you switch the light on and off. Do the same measuring at the t-stat. Remove the light switch from the wall and check the wiring.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
budmannz

I have the exact same model and year, and had the exact same problem as you. I solved the problem by running a new ground wire from the thermostat to a good ground point in the underneath storage area. I had emailed Airxcel explaining the problem and the tech said it sounded like a weak 12v ground. I tested his theory by running a temporary ground. I then tested it out and no more problem. I then ran a permanent ground down the wall cavity.

Bob
budmannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

First, Has it always been this way or did it once work correctly???

If always this way, the installer used the wrong wire to feed hot side of t-stat and it is being broken when the wall switch is thrown. Since everything works when lights are off it is not a fuse. Since the t-stat draws very little amps, I would find another hot wire close to it and tap into it for power using an in-line fuse for safety. Might be easier than going crazy tracing the other circuit. (I thought the t-stat was supposed to get it's 12v from the A/C control board but I may be wrong) JM2˘, Hank

Be sure to let us know what you find.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, light, lights