Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
Laredo Tugger

Winterizing Made Simple?

After some research I have determined that PEX piping will not expand and burst if frozen. If my TT (5er) is plumbed with solid PEX piping (less weight ) and my traps allow for expansion of any water in them that may freeze, why am I winterizing? Even at 12 gallons the WH is not going to freeze (but I drain it anyway to inspect the anode).
Just drain the low point drains and winterizing is done. Correct?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Pex shouldn't burst in normal sub freezing temps - not sub zero. The same can't be said for the connections, faucets, traps, shower heads, etc. To try to get by without winterizing because you have pex is foolhardy IMO. It takes about 15-30 minutes, a few dollars and you KNOW you won't have a problem. Why? would you want to risk irreparably damaging your trailer because you think Pex will fix everything? I had my mountain vacation home (9000') replumbed with pex several years ago with low point drains...the full nine yards. I drain the house and winterize it every year. Why? Why would you not? The downside is terrible. Doing it is literally inconsequential both time and money wise. "Just drain the low points and winterizing is done". I'm afraid you will have a very unfortunate experience one day. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

PEX, as you say, will not be damaged by freezing. That can't be said for the schedule 20 PVC/plastic fittings that connect the PEX, the faucets, the toilet china bowl (filled with water "INSIDE" the china water ports, the toilet flush valve, the shower head, the exterior faucet/shower fittings, etc.

Don't winterize at your own risk. I lost about $2000 worth of "PEX plumbing" in a Holiday Rambler travel trailer parked in Alexandria, LA.... It wasn't supposed to freeze hard enough there either.... But, it did..... The repairs consisted of pulling all the PEX to replace the crimped on plastic elbows and Tee's. It was cheaper to pull and throw away the PEX rather than try to cut the crimp bands and reuse the existing "undamaged" PEX. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

K Thanks
All I have seen in the 5er is PEX. The other fittings you mention must be behind the walls.
And Alexandria LA is not to far from me so I will do the deed of winterizing.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
UsTwo

Lost a kitchen faucet, (cracked wide open) due to forgetting to open it up. Had anti freeze up to it and in the trap, but forgot to open and let what little water was trapped in there out..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
mhbell

Same happened to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
Lost a kitchen faucet, (cracked wide open) due to forgetting to open it up. Had anti freeze up to it and in the trap, but forgot to open and let what little water was trapped in there out..
Guess I will chime in. 4 or 5 winters ago I was in a hurry and just opened the low point drains on my then fiver, Thinking I'll get back to it and this should be safe for now. Well By the time I got around to doing it right it was to late. By spring several of the fittings were leaking and the kitchen faucet and sprayer were both broke open (plastic) Don't know about the water pump. I traded it off the next week. Do the job right or you will have to pay dearly.
Mel
Old 12-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Guess I will chime in. 4 or 5 winters ago I was in a hurry and just opened the low point drains on my then fiver, Thinking I'll get back to it and this should be safe for now. Well By the time I got around to doing it right it was to late. By spring several of the fittings were leaking and the kitchen faucet and sprayer were both broke open (plastic) Don't know about the water pump. I traded it off the next week. Do the job right or you will have to pay dearly.
Mel

I forgot to mention the above in my initial post. I've not had that problem with the RV since I tend to keep it in warmer climates during the winter but our mountain home freezes very hard every winter. Learned to open all the faucets to let any residual water expand but continually had a cracked kitchen sprayer. Got to the point that I kept at least 2 in the basement for repairs. Then, as slow as I am, it dawned on me to just remove the spray head and put the hose in the sink so the expanding water would have a place to go. Problem solved....except those years I forget to remove the spray head.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
mhbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I forgot to mention the above in my initial post. I've not had that problem with the RV since I tend to keep it in warmer climates during the winter but our mountain home freezes very hard every winter. Learned to open all the faucets to let any residual water expand but continually had a cracked kitchen sprayer. Got to the point that I kept at least 2 in the basement for repairs. Then, as slow as I am, it dawned on me to just remove the spray head and put the hose in the sink so the expanding water would have a place to go. Problem solved....except those years I forget to remove the spray head.
Normally we wintered in Arizona and did not have that problem. but 5 years ago we had a medical emergency and did not get to go to Arizona. So the 5th wheel stayed up North. it was still nice when I drained the low points. With temps in the teens, you know what happened.

Tags
winter, winterizing