Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #51
OHIOJERRY

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm pushing my luck, but when every camping season ends I tell myself I'll get rid of my Trailer Kings and put on Endurances at the start of the next season. The Trailer Kings now have 13,700 miles on the and show no signs of wear issues. I just make sure I'm not overloaded and drive at the speed limits with a 65 maximum.
The travel trailer is a 2016 Outback 326RL.

OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #52
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY View Post
Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm pushing my luck, but when every camping season ends I tell myself I'll get rid of my Trailer Kings and put on Endurances at the start of the next season. The Trailer Kings now have 13,700 miles on the and show no signs of wear issues. I just make sure I'm not overloaded and drive at the speed limits with a 65 maximum.
Good for you! Based on all available experience you ARE pushing your luck. But, many like to do that. And, we can always "wait" until next season to save a few hundred bucks....right? And those Trailer Kings...good for 15-20k right? Because "we" are special? Right? That's what I would do!!..Except I had one destruct at 62mph and running 65psi (max) and 1 1/2 years old with approx. 4500 miles on them. 7k in damages with cut LP lines, underbelly, wheel well etc.

I've ran new Carlisle ST tires for 2-3 years....good tires. No problems, no issues...and more importantly, no worries as I'm driving down the road worrying about a catastrophic event. Anyone running a Trailer King (China Bomb) down the highway thinking they have the "answer" because they observe 65 mph and the max inflation pressure is just waiting for the
"catastrophic event".....knowingly.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY View Post
Just so you know. My TK's looked excellent (from the outside) and no way could I see the interior of the tire while it was mounted on my trailer. Only after I took them off (I bought Carlisle RH) did I see the time bomb waiting to explode. Here, take a look for yourself at what those "tires that show no signs of wear issues" might look like on the inside, where you can't see it until you really do get "lucky" by taking them off. If you're not so lucky, you may lose the side of your trailer when they happen to "let go".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	19528   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	19529   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	19530  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:39 AM   #54
notanlines

Jerry, can you see all the smirks on the faces of the followers across North America? Those smirks are on faces of those of us who KNOW. We don't actually CARE if your tires blow or not. You can chose to run those babies 'til they're bald for all we care. As long as RV'ers don't make recommendations to newbies that they are safe to run then we are all square here.
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #55
66joej

^^^Change them next spring before your first camping trip. Listen to the voice of experience. JMO YMMV

2013 Cougar 24RKSWE
2015 f150 Screw 5.0L 10 ply LT tires
66joej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #56
OHIOJERRY

I'll definitely change out the Tks this spring. Right now my camper is hibernating in a cave in Pennsylvania. I've seen bad and good about the GY Endurance. Should I be looking more towards Maxxis, Saluns or Carlisle?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #57
notanlines

Jerry, there are very few complaints on this forum with any of the four brands you mention. Carlisle comes to the top if money is a factor. Wally World will put you on the road in the neighborhood of $75.00 per tire. Sailuns became our go-to tire on previous RV's and never had the first problem, never even lost the first pound of pressure. Search this site closely. There are literally dozens of good threads on tire brands.
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #58
flybouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just so you know. My TK's looked excellent (from the outside) and no way could I see the interior of the tire while it was mounted on my trailer. Only after I took them off (I bought Carlisle RH) did I see the time bomb waiting to explode. Here, take a look for yourself at what those "tires that show no signs of wear issues" might look like on the inside, where you can't see it until you really do get "lucky" by taking them off. If you're not so lucky, you may lose the side of your trailer when they happen to "let go".
I didn't have my phone on me when my TK's were replaced but they looked just like John's did. I changed mine out at year 4 but that's only because we didn't use it at all the year before, 2 neck surgeries that year. Just as John's pictures illustrate the tires looked perfect on the outside. The inside looked like a sack of baseballs. Thank God I got rid of them when I did. I still get cold chills thinking that we were riding around on those. No more playing Russian Roulette with trailer tires.
Think of it this way, would you knowingly ride around with hand grenades in your tires? Now you know. What you do with the information is your business.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #59
OHIOJERRY

Thanks notanlines and flybouy. I'll let you know what mine look like when I change them out in the spring.
Regards
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #60
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "J" rating on the tires in your link is NOT a "load/ply" rating which we normally see as G-14 ply, F- 12 ply, E-10 ply, D-8 ply, C-6 ply. A load range J tire is a 18 ply tire with a PSI recommendation of 127 PSI, probably much heavier than you'd ever want to put on a travel trailer of any size or weight. The "J" has no bearing on the ply rating or the load rating, but is a "designator" to identify the loading range not the ply ratings, just as the speed rating letters, L, M, Q, Z all represent different speed ratings for the tires.

The tires in your link are 225 75R15 LRD (8 ply) tires rated to carry a maximum of 2540 pounds at 65 PSI. That is the typical load rating for ALL tires of that size and that ply rating at that PSI.

"J" has got to be a typo.

The initial description shows D/8 which is the Load Range / Ply Rating.