Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not too many years ago, EVERY travel trailer had a big front window. They were great to get a view of the campground, open for good cross ventilation and "open up the interior" both visually and by letting in more light.

The biggest problem wasn't leaks, in fact out of 10 or so trailers with front windows, I never had one that leaked. The problem was BUGS !!! Towing meant smashing those little 6-legged critters all over the windshield of the tow vehicle and the front of the trailer. Most manufacturers offered a "folding front awning" that folded down during travel and folded up to allow for some shade when camping. The nicest part was that all those BUGS were "on the awning, not the window" when sitting inside at the campground.

With the new "vista window" in many of today's trailers, it seems that manufacturers are "reinventing" the open feeling, but it looks like they "forgot about the bugs" and haven't included an awning to protect the window during travel. My guess is that within a year or so, you'll see an optional travel awning for those who don't like looking through "little squishy spots" on their windows..... YMMV

Ha! And there is the answer. Those big vista view windows on the front that looks so "neat" are going to be huge problems with thousands of smashed, dried bugs on them. My first 2 real life sized trailers had a front kitchen (I liked those) and both had front windows that gave a really nice view out of the kitchen...and both had closing front covers - which were always covered with hard, dried, crusty bugs you had to really work to get off....but at least they weren't on the glass!! The new stuff? Think I'll stick with my bed slide and full front closet.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

For anyone not old enough to remember, the front windows on the ol' canned hams were in the 30s and 40s I think. bwhahaha

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith conversion
1980 GS1000G
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
For anyone not old enough to remember, the front windows on the ol' canned hams were in the 30s and 40s I think. bwhahaha

The original canned hams didn't have windows, but they did have a key soldered to the top of the can..... Then Sero Scotty put wheels under them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #14
Ken / Claudia

This may or may not happen, but I think the windows on the front of a RV pulled behind a TV without a outside cover will or can cause on coming head light beams bouncing off and aimed back at you the driver in your windshield mounted mirror. We have that problem at the PD when pulling trailers with reflective items in the bed as in signs and traffic cones. Until you have that experience you may not believe how dangerous it is. I hope it is not the case with that exposed glass.
Yellow Lab "Dacoda"
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
linux3

I like the looks of that TT. It's only about 1800 lbs heavier so no biggie.
Local dealer has 2 and I think we need to take a look.
kjohn, do you know, can you use stools to sit at the counter?
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
kjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I like the looks of that TT. It's only about 1800 lbs heavier so no biggie.
Local dealer has 2 and I think we need to take a look.
kjohn, do you know, can you use stools to sit at the counter?

Hmmm. I doubt it. Would be a tight fit, I think. The "counter" at the left end of the kitchen isn't very wide, maybe a foot? It is changed a bit from the one in our 21RBS. It is narrower to allow more room at the foot of the bed. The drawers under the counter at the left end, facing the bed have been deleted so as to narrow it up a bit.

All in all, we are pleased with the 22RBS. Even if it has the evil window at the front! We were quite happy with the 21RBS, and the new one has a few improvements. I note that it is 300 lb. heavier empty.

I take it you are looking at a 22RBS HT?