Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
Smitty75

New camper, first issue (hopefully fixed

So we have had our 22bds for about 2 months, and this week after a heavy rain storm noticed a small puddle of water sitting on the front corner night stand on the left side of the mattress. This is the 2nd time we noticed it, with the first time being brushed off as a spilled cup of water or condensation from the cup (stretch I know, but not other signs of leaking or other damp areas above or below the night stand.

So after seeing the wet spot again today, I climbed up on the roof and found a small spot where the LED lights pass into the front cap that had no caulking (see pic). Funny thing was that before I got on the roof, I called the dealer where we purchased it and he basically said they donít cover leaks from caulking issues, to which I argued that being a new camper it should be considered a defect, not a maintenance issue. So Iím still pushing on them to inspect and make sure that was the source of the leak as I donít want to be responsible for what, if anything, is wet behind the wall.

Otherwise we are really impressed with the build quality over our last few camper. So hoping itís an isolated incident and we will get a lot of good use out of the camper. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	19485

Smitty75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
sourdough

You need to twist on the dealer. Yes, roof leaks are considered lack of maintenance after 90 days (do a search on the forum for conversations on that) but 2 months old and you have a leak through the roof from a penetration that isn't sealed?? That's on the dealer to me - HE should have inspected that trailer better than that before letting you take it away. I would push until they fixed it....don't deal with a "service advisor". If they have already told you that it's not covered by warranty, go to the service manager or above.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Logan X

I agree, it seems like the dealer should fix it. Hopefully the water damage is minor.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
bobbecky

In the current, mostly worthless, manual, I find no mention of the warranty for the first 90 days where it applies to caulking. https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf

This is copied from the current manual:

Roof Seams and/or Joints
Roof sealants will deteriorate which can lead to leaks. Deterioration can be accelerated in heavy sun, changes in climates (expansion/contraction with aggressive temperature change), and cold climates. Once the RV leaves our manufacturing facilities, we can no longer maintain the sealants, this becomes your responsibility. Take this seriously because it can help prevent a very frustrating situation that can be expensive to remedy (damage from water leaks).
Inspect the roof at least every 90 days, paying close attention to all seams and/or joints and attachments where sealant is used. Look for cracks, shrinkage and/or gaps/voids in the sealants. These must be carefully cleaned and resealed. It is necessary to use the same sealant as originally installed if touching up cracks, shrinkage and gaps/voids. There is no way to know if 2 different brands of sealant will seal to each other. DO NOT use any type of silicone product on the rubber roof material.

Keystone RV Company Owners Manual 4/1/2018 Page 87
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The manual you posted, page 10 has the following exclusion to the basic warranty:

Any water leaks or related consequential damages that are a result of your failure to properly maintain the exterior seals as required in the Owner’s Manual.

The Owner's Manual, as you posted above details that the owner is responsible to inspect the roof every 90 days.

That would indicate (at least to me) that the factory is responsible for roof leaks during the first 90 days, and at that time, it becomes my responsibility to inspect the roof and reseal any questionable seams/joints "at least every 90 days".

Sort of like Ford saying, "The owner is responsible to change the oil every 90 days." If an oil related problem occurred at 100 days, if it was because the oil had not been changed........ YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Smitty75

As an update, still havenít heard a response from the dealer. Pretty disappointed as that was the only reason we bought local this time. We swap out camper every 2 years to stay in a warranty, so surprised they arenít doing more to keep the business. However, I did talk directly to keystone and they said no problem, itís covered for 90 days from date of sale. They had me repair it myself and just take pictures for their files. It was literally a trip to Loweís and 2-minute repair, but more than anything didnít want to be responsible for what if anything is affected behind the wall. Hopefully nothing at this point but I have learned the hard way itís better to be over documented than under.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
As an update, still havenít heard a response from the dealer. Pretty disappointed as that was the only reason we bought local this time. We swap out camper every 2 years to stay in a warranty, so surprised they arenít doing more to keep the business. However, I did talk directly to keystone and they said no problem, itís covered for 90 days from date of sale. They had me repair it myself and just take pictures for their files. It was literally a trip to Loweís and 2-minute repair, but more than anything didnít want to be responsible for what if anything is affected behind the wall. Hopefully nothing at this point but I have learned the hard way itís better to be over documented than under.

Your comment is spot on. Hopefully others will read and log it. There is no such thing as "too much" documentation when it comes to an RV warranty.

I hate that your dealer seems to disregard your situation. You said "you still haven't heard back"; you might want to be the one to initiate that contact instead of waiting on them - dealerships seem to forget. When dealing with the dealership initially on this trailer I was told at one point, when discussing the lack of followup, that they were "busy". I told the service manager that I understood that but I was busy also and did not, and would not, allot all day, every day to wait for them to contact me. A 2nd occurrence took place and I went to the dealership (60 miles), got him and took him to the GMs office. We then spent 1 1/2 hours discussing my issues, their problems and how we were going to resolve them with the understanding I had plenty of time to come in there daily and take up a couple of hours of time from both of them. Poof! My emails and phone calls were responded to in a very timely manner and my repairs all of a sudden had more priority....and it has remained that way. I have to say this is at a CW and there is a hierarchy above the dealership that all those folks answer to (and they actually do) so their words/actions aren't the end of the discussion.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Smitty75

Yeah, Iíve got 3 messages into them already, so the calling isnít getting anywhere. I would normally just hook up and drop in their lot, but got in a car accident last week and somewhat couch bound for a few more days. As long as itís not leaking and the manufacturer is covering any damage, Iíll square up on the dealer side as soon as things settle a bit on everything else going on.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
Yeah, Iíve got 3 messages into them already, so the calling isnít getting anywhere. I would normally just hook up and drop in their lot, but got in a car accident last week and somewhat couch bound for a few more days. As long as itís not leaking and the manufacturer is covering any damage, Iíll square up on the dealer side as soon as things settle a bit on everything else going on.
Sorry to hear about your car accident! Obviously, from your comment, you must have gotten banged up a bit.

Everyone else OK?
C.LeeNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
sourdough

Smitty I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Hope all is well with you and yours and wish you a speedy recovery.