Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
Medicjt87

Traveling in trailer

Does anyone have information on the legalities of traveling inside your trailer? My wife seems to be interested in spending some time inside the trailer while traveling down the road. I myself am skeptical.

Thanks in advance!
Medicjt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
rhagfo

Just show her this news item.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/mult...k67mm6L3sdzpN/
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #3
notanlines

Here is a place to start: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trai...er-provisions/
I don't believe it to be a good idea in the long run, but it is a personal choice.
We had our dog ride in the front bedroom of the Raptor when he was sick one year for a couple days. Door closed so he only had access to his blanket on our bed and food and water. Whenever we stopped to check on him he was asleep under his blanket.
Keep in mind that in an emergency you would be hesitant about slamming on the brakes because your SO might be up walking around making a sandwich. It just isn't a good idea.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
JimMach1

It is legal in some states I know you can in Iowa. I wouldn’t we all pile in the truck. We only have access to bathroom and bedroom going down the road
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Dave W

I haven't reserched it lately but in many states you can travel in a 5th wheel. They are considered an articulated vehicle, i.e. tractor trailer. I had to ride in ours once when I came down with a roaring case of food poisoning. We had a tight travel schedule back to home and work that couldn't be changed. I will NEVER ever do that again unless I've gone to my maker.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

I don't know of any states that allow travel in TT. Those that allow travel in a 5th wheel require two way communication at all times. If you have ever done it you probably won't want to do it again.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I don't know of any states that allow travel in TT. Those that allow travel in a 5th wheel require two way communication at all times. If you have ever done it you probably won't want to do it again.

Yep, you are correct. We had that 2 way communication in that long goneNewmar Kountry Aire 5er along with a letter from NY State DMV that said it was legal
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Oregon is allowed only in a 5th wheel and 3 things must be present. Able to talk between passenger to driver. (that is easy nowadays). Have a exit that can be opened from inside and outside. (that is easy). Finally all glass in every window must be have the safety glazing glass. (same as your car or pickup). Someone correct me on that one. I do not believe they are. When reading the glass code on the TT it says tempered glass DOT 423 or 620. I just checked my truck and wife's car those side windows say DOT 476 and DOT 75.
As a trooper no one ever explained or knew about the glass requirements, I asked. The few times it came up for enforcement, the 1st part was checked and nothing else.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Got that right!!
DW and GF rode in our old 5er ONCE, as she wanted to see what our dogs were experiencing as we had a regular cab TV at the time. After that trip the dogs rode in the cab and a Quad cab was soon purchased.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicjt87 View Post
Does anyone have information on the legalities of traveling inside your trailer? My wife seems to be interested in spending some time inside the trailer while traveling down the road. I myself am skeptical.

Thanks in advance!
I've never ridden in one nor would I want to. As has been pointed out it is dangerous, uncomfortable and probably illegal. It won't be like riding in a motorhome for sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Based on my extensive knowledge of such things (I watched an RV show on TV recently), the passengers in a motorhome had to have seat belts. Guess you could duct tape the missus into a chair or something.

Here is a state by state guide... not sure how authentic this guide is but here it is....
https://www.tripsavvy.com/passengers-in-campers-504228
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Number 4

Legal or not, I wouldn't want to be inside my trailer while under way.

Here's someone who got real creative with a passenger approved custom teardrop TT.

https://www.sliptalk.com/doggy-trailer/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	17948  

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Pull Toy

Velcro everywhere, reliable two way comm's, twenty five rolls of toilet paper handy. Only legal in a few states...

Oh by the way, as a former LEO, I'll red line you in the hot sun for at least two plus hours while I'm figuring out if you can do it, or not? (What the heck, my cruiser has A/C, even if your camper doesn't. while in transit)

p.s. Under no circumstances, while underway, put the sides out to access the bathroom! LOL

Dogs and horses get trailered all the time, not mine though, thus the crew cab. I wouldn't risk it with significant others, without Propafol, and d*mn good liability insurance!!

Good Luck

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
JimMach1

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trai...er-provisions/ According to this there are a lot of states that allow it
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMach1 View Post
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trai...er-provisions/ According to this there are a lot of states that allow it

Hmmm, looks a lot like trying to digest handgun laws state to state. Don't think I'd want to go to that trouble just to make myself sick.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Riding in a moving trailer is much the same discussion as wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Some states require it, some it's optional. Just because you "CAN" doesn't mean you "SHOULD"......

There are no seat belts in a travel trailer and most of the furniture is not secured to the floor. Get into any kind of "quick maneuvering situation" and start throwing people, chairs, dishes and other things around, inside an 8x20 foot box, I wouldn't want my loved ones added to that mix..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #17
labman

just watch the Desi/Lucy movie, "The long long trailer" specifically the part where she is going to have dinner ready when they arrive at their campsite. LMBO! That movie convinced me to get a 5'er and not a TT.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #18
BeckyMax

We camp at Carlyle Lake in Illinois frequently. It's about 2 hours from our house. The last hour of towing is straight road - literally 40 miles, no hills, no turns. I've had more bouncing and jostling on this road than any curvy road we have ever towed on. Opening my camper to find my stuff strown all over the place is enough to tell me that I would probably be freaking out if I was riding back there. I've got damage to my refrigerator door and pantry door where the heavy wire dog kennel flew off the nearby couch. I now strap this down when we are traveling.
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #19
johnlewis

Have her watch the movie "The Long Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball & Desi Arnez. That will probably stop her from wanting to ride in the trailer while moving.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Velcro everywhere, reliable two way comm's, twenty five rolls of toilet paper handy. Only legal in a few states...

Oh by the way, as a former LEO, I'll red line you in the hot sun for at least two plus hours while I'm figuring out if you can do it, or not? (What the heck, my cruiser has A/C, even if your camper doesn't. while in transit)

p.s. Under no circumstances, while underway, put the sides out to access the bathroom! LOL

Dogs and horses get trailered all the time, not mine though, thus the crew cab. I wouldn't risk it with significant others, without Propafol, and d*mn good liability insurance!!

Good Luck
One thing I never considered when we picked out our latest TT. You can't get into the bathroom without opening the slide at least a couple of feet.

I've never had to do it, they have these things called rest stops... But your comment about that got me wondering. Were you referring to a law about such, changes in weight distribution side-to-side while hooked, or the fact that an open slide along the side of the road might just poke out into the bumper lane a bit?
Just wondering...
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote