Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Cheryl

Tire pressure monitoring system

Any thoughts on the best tire pressure monitoring system? Also assuming you use 1 sensor per trailer wheel? Our trailer has 4 wheels total. Looks not to difficult to set up???

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
66joej

They are all quite good I have the Tire Minder. Be sure to have metal valve stems on your tires.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
xrated

I too have the Tire Minder brand and the Smart TPMS model in particular. This is my first ever TPMS system and my first camping trailer, but it seems that a lot of them get pretty good reviews. The clincher for me is that the T.M. Smart system allows you to use an app (from them, and available through the Google Play Store or the Apple app store), that takes the place of having a dedicated monitor just for the TPMS system......less dash/windshield clutter. It does get good reviews and another fellow stated that he was very happy with his system and works very well. Probably a lot of info out there about all the different systems, but that's my $0.02 worth.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
busterbrown

The EEZtire TPMS system has worked great for the little I used it this past summer. I did have to buy a repeater/booster so signal strength would not be an issue with the length of my 35 foot trailer.

In all honesty, any of these (Tireminder, EEZtire, TST) will provide you with an effective portal to monitor your trailer tire's real-time operating condition.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Cheryl

Thanks to everyone! The trailer is 27 ft so it's possible I wouldn't need the booster. Do most RVers use a monitoring system?

Old 02-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Yes we have had some interesting discussion over the last few years. Search "TPMS". I have the Tire Minder system and have had it from day one. Currently my TPMS is monitoring all 12 tires. No do not have metal stems. Has saved me already once in the mountains of WV. Warned me in enough time to get off road in a safe place.. Personally I think these system are a must!

As far as which one, pick one that matches your concerns, do want one that continues flashing data on its screen regarding tire pressure and temperature or do you want on to be alerted only when there is monitored data outside of preset ranges. Hardwired or not. Large screens or cigarette size monitors, etc.

I usually have enough things to do watching the idiots on the road so I am really not interested in the exact pressure and/or temp of each of the 12 tires. Only after I am alarmed that a tire's parameters was exceeded presets am I interested in that tires current parameters. That is my requirements for a TPMS, read others option in past threads/posts.

Do I care that tire reading do not match my hand held tire gauge? NO
DO I use them to air up the tires? NO

In general I am mainly interested in monitoring changes in temp or pressure. Once alarmed now I want to now current parameters.

Added: Yes, I use the booster, came with my initial package. You can try it with out, if communications is lost between the tire transmitter and monitor you will be alerted. Obviously if this happens I suggest adding the booster.
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
RainbowsEnd

I think most cars now have alerts to the vehicle tire pressure. I know I'm glad to see that alert if needed and will stop to air up and check the tire. Same should go for the camper. That's a huge amount of weight being towed.

I don't want my phone tied up with this app, for battery use and general phone use. But I'm willing to listen to the advice of the more learned here.

We've looked at the TST507. I think any of these brands should do well and as posted above just depends on what you want.
RainbowsEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Yes, as stated before most are really good. I purchased the EEZTire monitoring system. I wanted to know both temp and pressure. I have not used them yet waiting for summer to get here but definitely will be on the tires when I pulled my trailer out of the driveway. Happy decision making and RV'ing.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
Desert185

I have and recommend this one from these folks. I also have metal stems.

http://www.vulcantire.com/tst_507rv5...-lABoC0Uvw_wcB
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #10
bsmith0404

I have the TST 507 system and love it. It saved me on one occasion so far. I love the fact that I can see what each tire is doing can set the parameters that I want for the warning alarms. For me, the rapid air loss alarm is what saved me. I picked up a nail and the tire started losing air. The alarm went off, I looked at the monitor and I was already down to 65 psi, pressures were about 98 prior to that. by the time I got stopped on the shoulder the tire was basically flat and the tread had started to separate. If it hadn't been for the system warning me of a rapid air loss, I would have continued driving until I saw stuff flying off the tire or RV in the mirror.

I had the 507 system with non flow through sensors and metal stems. I just gave that system to my dad and purchased the 507 system with flow through sensors. I never used a repeater before with my 40' 5er. I would lose the reception from a sensor every now and then when the batteries started getting lower. I bought a repeater with the new system. I doubt you would need one with a 27' TT.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
Cheryl

Thanks so much everyone! I think simple with just the alarm is what I'd be looking at. Would give me time to pull over. Seems like an essential piece of equipment for me.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsEnd View Post
I think most cars now have alerts to the vehicle tire pressure. I know I'm glad to see that alert if needed and will stop to air up and check the tire. Same should go for the camper. That's a huge amount of weight being towed.

I don't want my phone tied up with this app, for battery use and general phone use. But I'm willing to listen to the advice of the more learned here.

We've looked at the TST507. I think any of these brands should do well and as posted above just depends on what you want.
Your phone isn't "tied up" with the app for the TireMinder Smart TPMS. You can use your phone just as you normally do, even with the app open....just go back to the "home" screeen and carry on. You can even close the app and you will still get an alert to the phone if something is going on TPMS-wise. It "pushes" notifications to the phone. Of course, if you get a notification, you would do like you do on any other TPMS system, check it out and see what is going on. As far as battery usuage, you can put your phone to sleep mode and you'll still get notified. The best of both worlds really, phone/monitor all in one.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Desert185

To vote for the TST507, the dedicated display is right in front of you all the time requiring no hands on to view pressure trends or temperature. No fumbles or no distractions reaching for or having to reset the phone page in order to see what is going on. The phone app complicates and distracts the process, IMO.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #14
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
To vote for the TST507, the dedicated display is right in front of you all the time requiring no hands on to view pressure trends or temperature. No fumbles or no distractions reaching for or having to reset the phone page in order to see what is going on. The phone app complicates and distracts the process, IMO.
That's why there are different brands, models and choices out there. We are all free to chose whichever one works best for our own needs.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Larry1013

If the TPMS system comes with a signal booster, install it even if you think you won't need it. It is better to have the best signal possible when towing and not wonder. Specially if you are monitoring a spare tire with a rear mount such as the bumper mount.

TireMinder currently has a free battery and O-ring exchange program through 2022. You can get new batteries and o-rings for the battery cover/cap each year for all the sensors you have with your system.

The system I have is the TM66 sold by CampingWorld which is the same as the A1A TireMinder system. I monitor 12 tire sensors since my DRW truck does not have a factory TPMS system. I have sensors on my truck and trailer spare tires to avoid crawling under either to check them with a gauge.

I considered the smartphone upgrade to the TireMinder but for now, I am satisfied with the independent TPMS monitor. A TPMS system is well worth the investment. I can check the tire pressures prior to a trip even if the trip is around town or on the next adventure towing the trailer.

I did have the TPMS save my butt last september when one of the metal valve stem nuts worked loose and lost enough pressure to set off the alarm. I was able to put over on the interstate and tighten the nut. Since the pressure loss was minimal and only enough to set off the alarm, I proceed to the next exit to pump up the tire.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #16
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
That's why there are different brands, models and choices out there. We are all free to chose whichever one works best for our own needs.
Agreed...as long as all the pros and cons (thanks to the forum) are understood prior to the purchase.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
craign

I installed the TST-507 system on our truck & camper after a flat tire on our camper. It works well. One suggestion that isn't mentioned in the TST literature - use dielectric grease on the valve stem threads before installation. Our sensors installed on Toyota Tundra valve stems corroded in place after our first trip to the Outer Banks. The folks at TST replaced the 3 sensors that I was unable to remove without breaking the valve stems.

Regards,
Craig
craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #18
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsEnd View Post

The truck is new so it probably has the tire monitor. I'll have to check if the tire pressure goes low does it alert you.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #19
Cheryl

And here we thought trailering was simply hooking up a trailer and heading out! Lol! Lots to learn!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
The truck is new so it probably has the tire monitor. I'll have to check if the tire pressure goes low does it alert you.

If I have a low tire mine sets of the chime, puts a warning on the dash (yellow deflated tire) and pops up a pic of the tires, the pressures and highlights the one low. Yours may do the same. I think it will depend on the maker and model and what packages you have on the truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote