Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
p0wd3rp1l0t

dometic power awning rear arm issue

New member here, been camping my whole life with my parents, but finally my wife and i bought a camper to take our family camping. had a bit of a mishap in a small gas station parking lot. Long story short, I made contact with a parked semi trailer with the rear of the awning , and ended up bending the rear arm towards the back of the trailer, and pulling the awning arm end off the aluminum round housing that its riveted too, which exposed the spring. I bent the arm back into place(which actually wasn't that bad, but sure looked awful) but i had to rivet the awning arm back onto the aluminum round housing that the awning rolls onto. Got it all put back together, and the awning amazingly extends all the way out as it did before. But when reeling it back in, it seems a bit slower than what it was previously, and the rear arm doesn't get tight to the camper like the front does. I did have to smack the rear arm rail that is mounted to the camper a bit to get it to allow the part of the arm that folds out so it could properly close tight to the camper. I am a fairly mechanical guy and not afraid to rip into things, but that spring got me thinking, can that be wound up, like a garage door spring to assist that so the rear arm gets tight up against the camper? the front arm works like its suppose to and is tight against the camper. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
p0wd3rp1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
kenhigdon

Sorry to hear about your snagging your awning arm. I, too, have a Dometic electric awning, and had to replace the electric motor (got so weak, it would not close without assistance). Also had a recent occasion to replace the fabric. Both repair jobs required that I carefully release the spring tension on the spring at the rear, and then re-apply the proper tension. I found several youtube videos that explained the procedure. I also found a reference for how many turns to make on the spring to have the correct tension for my size awning, just don't remember where. Once you review the spring procedure videos, you might try just adding an additional turn or two to your spring to see if that makes it tight enough. Those springs are also replaceable if damaged.

Ken
2010 Copper Canyon 252FWRLS; TV-2003 GMC 2500 Duramax crewcab,
kenhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, power