Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2024, 03:23 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Phillips Respironics CPAP/BiPAP user? READ

https://libertyresolve.com/fda-fault...to-561-deaths/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:15 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

All the pop ups make it hard to read.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:45 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
All the pop ups make it hard to read.
Sorry. I use BRAVE browser (based on Firefox) and get no pop ups.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:26 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently announced a concerning update regarding previously recalled Philips breathing devices and ventilators used to treat sleep apnea. According to the agency, these devices may be linked to hundreds of deaths since the initial recall announcement in mid-2021. The FDA has received over 116,000 medical device reports (MDRs), including 561 reports of deaths associated with foam breaking down in Philips Respironics ventilators, BiPAP sleep therapy devices, and CPAP machines.

Since July 2023, the FDA has received over 7,000 MDRs, with 111 reports of deaths tied to these specific breathing devices and ventilators. These reports also highlighted a wide range of injuries such as cancer, pneumonia, asthma, infection, and more. The FDA has stated that the breakdown of foam used in these devices can potentially result in serious injuries and may require medical intervention to prevent permanent damage.

Millions of devices have been recalled by Philips since June 2021 due to reports of the internal foam breaking down over time. This can lead to users inhaling tiny particles and fumes while they sleep. The FDA states that the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) foam used in these machines can break down and release “black pieces of foam” or certain invisible chemicals that can be breathed in or swallowed. These issues can cause serious harm to the user’s health.

Philips has suspended the United States sale of sleep apnea gear as they face hundreds of lawsuits from patients who claim their health has suffered due to the use of these devices. Additionally, the outcome of the U.S. Department of Justice’s investigation into the handling of the recall has also put Philips under scrutiny. In response to the investigation, a Philips spokesperson stated that they have found no conclusive data linking these devices to the deaths reported in the MDRs. They have also mentioned that their ongoing testing has not shown any significant harm to the users.

A few days prior to the FDA’s announcement, Philips agreed in a settlement with the health regulator and DOJ to halt sales of new devices in the U.S. until they comply with a tentative agreement, which could cost the company nearly $400 million. This agreement is still pending approval from a U.S. judge. Philips executives have disclosed that they have set aside $393 million for corrective actions and upgrades needed to comply with the agreement.

The company is facing similar legal challenges in other countries such as Canada, Australia, Israel, and Chile. A full list of the devices affected by the recall can be found on the FDA’s website. Most of the recalled devices are CPAP machines, which are worn at night to help those with sleep apnea. The disorder causes individuals to stop breathing while asleep, and the brain wakes them up to prevent harm. However, this prevents restful and healthy sleep.

The FDA urges individuals who use these recalled devices to consult with their healthcare providers before making any changes to their treatment, as stopping the use of these devices without medical guidance can be harmful. The agency also advises users to regularly check the FDA’s website for updates on the situation. Philips has also discontinued the use of PE-PUR foam in their devices and is working to provide replacements or repair options for affected devices.

Recalled devices include:

A-Series BiPAP A30
A-Series BiPAP A40 (ventilator)
A-Series BiPAP Hybrid A30
A-Series BiPAP V30 Auto (ventilator)
C-Series ASV (ventilator)
C-Series S/T and AVAPS
DreamStation
DreamStation ASV
DreamStation Go
DreamStation ST, AVAPS
Dorma 400
Dorma 500
E30
Garbin Plus, Aeris, LifeVent (ventilator)
OmniLab Advanced+
REMstar SE Auto
SystemOne ASV4
SystemOne (Q-Series)
Trilogy 100 (ventilator)
Trilogy 200 (ventilator)
Old 02-09-2024, 10:04 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Thank you for taking the time to repost. My SIL used a Cpap. I’ll let her know, as she doesn’t always read all her mail before shredding it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:01 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to repost. My SIL used a Cpap. I’ll let her know, as she doesn’t always read all her mail before shredding it.
Just brought up the article and copied/pasted. I use a BiPaP but it is a Resmed but the number of folks affected by Phillips machines stunned me.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:20 PM   #7
LHaven

Yeah, this was a major cluster. The fallout was so bad that Philips is abandoning the PAP respirator market (whch they basically invented) entirely.

Part (but not all) of the problem may have been caused by third-party ozone cleaners embrittling the insulating foam. Philips is suing SoClean to recover a fair portion of their damages.

I had moved on from their unit (my first) a couple years prior, but still owned it, so I turned it in to the recall for a much superior refurb. That one now stays in the RV.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:58 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I have a couple of Resmed Bipap machines (one in house and other in camper). They are an Australian company I believe. I had thought about getting one of those ozone cleaners (Soclean) but many folks complained about the ozone smell they left. Cleaning is over rated anyway.