Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
chris199

Well we did it...ordered bigger/better

This RV lifestyle is soooo addictive and fun!!

DW and I became empty nesters a few years ago. Kids moved to NC and TN and we're up in PA. We stared at each other and said "Now what?!?" We started with B&B trips. Soon became awkward sitting in someone else's living room/den, etc. DW suggested we camp....get a hard side trailer (not a pop up like we used when the kids were little).

So we started out in 2010/2011 with a 19' Passport. That was fun/great but we learned very early on it was much too small. Just one child as a quest and we were on top of one another....let alone when one of the grandkids joined us.

So we upgraded to a Cougar 29 REV in 2012. Perfect for us and when one or two would join us. Little tight in the kitchen and not much room for many people on those rainy days or buggy nights.

Then we started family camping trips....annual ones to Nashville, Smokies (TN side) and Smokies (NC side), recently to the Keys over Christmas. Keys trip we used 3 sites....one TT, one Class C, one rented destination trailer. Usually we'd have 10-12 people per trip. Some in tents (until it rained of course). One/two in a Class C. At the Keys over Christmas, fourteen people enjoyed the fun: DW/DH, kids (3 grown), spouses (2), grandkids (3), sister-in-law, 2 nephews and one of their spouses.

We've been tempted by 5ers for a bit now. Too over the top? Too much trailer for 2 people? Too much money for "recreation"? Well today we made another jump....we just put a deposit down on a Montana 3791RD. DW loves the layout. King bed for us (I'm a big guy). Two fold out sofas for guests, large fridge, seating for 6 on sofas + 4 at dining room table. Room to move around in the kitchen. Was thinking the deal might fall through so we kept any excitement to a minimum....saving ourselves from a letdown.

Never towed a 5er before. Should be interesting. We're both really excited.....can't wait for warmer weather. Maybe we can even camp a bit earlier in this 5er. The TT was pretty cold in any wind to speak of. Will be nice when it's just the two of us and will be really handy when there's 10+ of us. We'll see.....

We've had our in laws tell us..."Do it now....if you can!" Don't wait until you retire. Who knows what life's got in store. (Reinforced when we were looking at 5ers recently....one very nice "used" RV for sale that was really brand new. Husband died suddenly before it was even used.) Decided that we'll get more use out of a 5er while the grandkids are smaller....not 10 years from now when we retire and the grandkids are 17 years old on up.

So here we go......

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
GmaPaTime

Congratulations on your new adventure and enjoy every minute of it. We have and was in the same position ourselfs last year. You'll find it's easier than you think pulling the 5ver, just remember, take your time.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Chris & Patty -
Sounds as though your "empty nest" won't stay empty for long! Congratulations on your new 5th ---- you'll really enjoy it and it will tow like a dream.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Ron

Congrats on moving on up, I agree bigger is better......Happy Campin
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Great story, perfect reasoning and I'm positive you'll never look back with regrets. Family camping is one of the greatest ways to keep the family together, smiling and enjoying the time together. Congratulations on your new RV and I'm sure you'll have even more memories from trips yet to be planned !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
GaryWT

Congrats and enjoy. Sounds like some great plans.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Then we started family camping trips....annual ones to Nashville, Smokies (TN side) and Smokies (NC side), recently to the Keys over Christmas. Keys trip we used 3 sites....one TT, one Class C, one rented destination trailer. Usually we'd have 10-12 people per trip. Some in tents (until it rained of course). One/two in a Class C. At the Keys over Christmas, fourteen people enjoyed the fun: DW/DH, kids (3 grown), spouses (2), grandkids (3), sister-in-law, 2 nephews and one of their spouses.
Chris & Patty, interested in adopting my wife and I?

We seem to have been born into the wrong family, god love every one of them, but none are interested in the outdoors as we are.

I'm down to only one child, for now he is getting all the outdoors he can stand in the Army! As a Combat Engineer assigned to 1st Cav Div / 1st Battalion Combat Team out of Ft. Hood, he's at least got the front seat of his Bradley to sleep in!

Hopefully in time, he will have a family that I can help to appreciate the outdoors. Like Texas Parks & Wildlife says, "Life's Better Outdoors!"

Safe travels, keep us posted when you take delivery of the 5er!
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
chris199

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
Chris & Patty, interested in adopting my wife and I?

We seem to have been born into the wrong family, god love every one of them, but none are interested in the outdoors as we are.

I'm down to only one child, for now he is getting all the outdoors he can stand in the Army! As a Combat Engineer assigned to 1st Cav Div / 1st Battalion Combat Team out of Ft. Hood, he's at least got the front seat of his Bradley to sleep in!

Hopefully in time, he will have a family that I can help to appreciate the outdoors. Like Texas Parks & Wildlife says, "Life's Better Outdoors!"

Safe travels, keep us posted when you take delivery of the 5er!
TomHayCraft

Please pass on our appreciation to your son for his service and we know very well the concern, sacrifice, and contribition you and your DW and your family are making. Our son served in the Army from Ft Benning from 2001 - in basic on 9/11 - over 5 years. He was in the Infrantry, was a gunner on a Bradley and eventually drove a Bradley.

There's no doubt that camping has brought our family closer together and we see each other more often. Flying, getting a rental car, and staying in a hotel just doesnt match up with a timeshare on wheels, our own food, and sitting around a campfire. We found that Hampton Inns, for some reason, discourages campfires in their rooms.

All the best to you, your son and family.

Chris and Patty

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
nano

Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
C130

Congratulations, sounds like a very nice setup!
Old 02-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Minnow

And here I've been trying to convince my wife of 30 years that bigger is not better.
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #12
Pmedic4

The RV tale

Sounds like us. We're fortunate the kids didn't move to far, but we still want to go places and do things, and enjoy a campfire, and time away from home.

I would say we're still a little hesitant to make the long trips, but ventured about 600 miles from home last year, and might try longer soon.

I think the important part is doing this now! Realistically, I wonder how capable we'll (or any of us on Keystone.org) be in 10-15 years to even hook up and go.

Let's do it.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
koko

We camp whenever weather permits - and sometimes when weather doesn't really permit. We agree - who knows what life will bring 10 or 15 years down the road. We need to do it and enjoy it while we can - NO REGRETS.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote