Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Jim Dow

Gas Quick Connect/Disconnect Mod

Montana High Country 2011: As part of my purchase of the TT, I had my dealership (PawPaw's, Picayune, MS) add a quick connect/dis-connect valve/Tee on each side of my TT. This allows me to carry an extra larger gas bottle and connect it on either side of the TT for handling a grill or simply not running out of gas on extended excursions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Bottle QuickConnect.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2859  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
camper 2010

It looks like they used a galvanized pipe T and white tape. Check to see if they used the correct parts for propane. It looks like water connections.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Bob Landry

Not intending to rain on your parade, I see a couple of issues from a safety standpoint.
1. The thread connections need to be done with yellow thread tape. The white tape is for air/water and will eventually break down and possibly cause leaks, not acceptable with propane.

2. Unless the photo does not show it, there is no shut-off on the female QC. These do leak. The better ones have an integrated ball valve shut off that require it to be closed before you can connect or disconnect a hose, again, to prevent a dangerous gas leak.

3. Again, I can't tell from the photo, but QC fittings are made specifically for high and low pressure systems. The only way to tall is to look at the manufacturers name and part number on the body of the coupling.

4. As far as using a galvanized T, all of the gas plumbing I have ever seen was done with black pipe or copper tubing. I've never used galvanized, so I can't comment on it other than I've never seen it used and never personally used it, but there must be a reason why, possibly because the zinc coating can eventually flake off and create a leak while the threads on black pipe are bare metal and there's noting on them to deteriorate.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Jim Dow

Thanks for the comment

Thanks for the comment. I will raise these issues with the dealership and see what transpires. I'm not a gas plumbing expert by any means. Your experience and observations are appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Jim Dow

Gas Plumbing Standards/Guidelines

I checked published gas plumbing standards/guidelines, and galvanized pipe is approved for use with gas plumbing.

However, the white plumbing tape is not approved. The yellow plumbing tape is thicker and is the recommended method of sealing plumbing joints.

It would have been a better installation if a gas valve had been put in place "up stream" of the quick connect/disconnect valve; but it is not absolutely necessary.