Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
Ohio

Outback Slideout

I am a new member with a 2018 Outback 29BKS. I am planning to park our camper at a park all season. My question is when the camper is parked during the week (not in use) is it better to retract the slide possibly shortening the life of the components or leave it extended to the elements? We plan on using it most weekends. Thanks in advance.
Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The Keystone Owner's Manual contains the following:

• Weather and atmospheric conditions will cause rubber to deteriorate over time. Inspect seals around slide-rooms regularly and replace at the first sign of a problem.
• Periodically, during the normal course of operation, Slide-out systems and rooms will require adjustment. This is covered under warranty the first ninety (90) days after original retail sale.
Slide-out rooms should be stored retracted.
• Keep mechanical components clean of road debris, salt, etc using a mild soap and water.
Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week.
• Failure to follow these basic steps can lead to intermittent operation of the slide-out system, improper sealing, personal injury and damage to the RV which is not warrantable.

I took the liberty of bolding two of the steps. While there are many who don't follow the owner's manual and have had no problems, the above is Keystone's recommendation. YMMV

As for "shortening the life of the components by using them, most owners find that using them keeps rust, corrosion and debris out of the system and actually lengthens the usable life of the components. Think about things like corrosion on the contacts in the electric motor, dirt/cobwebs building up on the seals and seals drying out/sticking to the sidewalls of the slide as examples of what could happen if the slides are not "exercised" regularly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Ohio

Wow totally missed that. Thank you.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Keystone Owner's Manual contains the following:

• Weather and atmospheric conditions will cause rubber to deteriorate over time. Inspect seals around slide-rooms regularly and replace at the first sign of a problem.
• Periodically, during the normal course of operation, Slide-out systems and rooms will require adjustment. This is covered under warranty the first ninety (90) days after original retail sale.
Slide-out rooms should be stored retracted.
• Keep mechanical components clean of road debris, salt, etc using a mild soap and water.
Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week.
• Failure to follow these basic steps can lead to intermittent operation of the slide-out system, improper sealing, personal injury and damage to the RV which is not warrantable.

I took the liberty of bolding two of the steps. While there are many who don't follow the owner's manual and have had no problems, the above is Keystone's recommendation. YMMV

As for "shortening the life of the components by using them, most owners find that using them keeps rust, corrosion and debris out of the system and actually lengthens the usable life of the components. Think about things like corrosion on the contacts in the electric motor, dirt/cobwebs building up on the seals and seals drying out/sticking to the sidewalls of the slide as examples of what could happen if the slides are not "exercised" regularly.
Wow totally missed that. Thank you.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
bill-e

• Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week.

I read this in my manual before, seems like overkill. I wonder what's worse on the components, sitting still for a week or two or the wear and tear of opening and closing the slide.

Edit: now if "actuated" just means hitting the switch for a second and then back, I can understand assuring that it doesn't get stuck.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
• Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week.

I read this in my manual before, seems like overkill. I wonder what's worse on the components, sitting still for a week or two or the wear and tear of opening and closing the slide.

Edit: now if "actuated" just means hitting the switch for a second and then back, I can understand assuring that it doesn't get stuck.
The only problem with that is that it is recommended to complete the action to the stop and then reverse it. Running out a little and then back in is not suggested or recommended. Just something to consider.

My opinion and so far my experience, but if adjusted and maintained as per the manufacturer's manual, there shouldn't be any abnormal wear.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Take this for what it's worth....

I stay in my trailer 2, 3,4,5 months at a time. I read about actuating the slides, but hey, I'm living in it. I can't see moving everything around (our recliners have to turn sideways and be strapped) to pull in the slides every week. I see most everyone, everyone, that doesn't do that and neither do I. My slides have never given me a problem because they weren't pulled in and out a couple of times a week. The only problem I've ever had was on this last trip and it was due to a mod we made on the slides due to binding. I had Teflon like strips placed under my 2 big slides. After about 3 months extended the center strip on the living room slide looked like it was detaching and bowing under the slide a bit. It had been attached, by the SMs recommendation, by an adhesive (Pro Flex if I recall). It appeared to let go a bit. I chose NOT to start retracting and extending the slide to help seal it but kept an eye on it. At departure DW and I activated the slide and I watched the strip from under the slide. It "adjusted" itself and worked just fine - and did for 4 stops coming home.

The reason the Teflon strips were placed was because of excessive wear of the Darco material on the ends of each of the big slides. I can't see how repeated extension/retractions of the big slides would not exacerbate that potential problem over time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback, slide, slideout