Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
JimDogs

Tongue Cargo Tray

So this weekend I added a Cargo Tray to the front of our Cougar 298RLS. I want to use this for various purposes including transporting our 2 Honda Eu2000is generators and the fuel tank for them. It also will be used to mount my solar panel setup. Lastly, I can use this for my spare tire or to haul my firewood box when we go to places that have hook-ups. It was a fairly simple and straight forward install. I chose to make it easy to remove the upright tubes and the front tray-mount to reduce weight if it won't be needed. The unit weighs in at 59 Lbs. and the heaviest added weight will be with the genny's for a total of approximately 155 Lbs. additional tongue weight, which is well within my available maximum.
I'm told that this is the softest riding area for the generators and I am going up to Lake Tahoe region this weekend for our first try at dry camping with the Cougar. I'll come back here and report on how the trip went upon our return!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00561 (2).jpg
Views:	528
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	9114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00560 (480x271).jpg
Views:	452
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	9115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00558 (480x271).jpg
Views:	418
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	9116  
JimDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
WaltBennett

While this looks like a great option, you will have to be VERY careful how you load your trailer. How much weight is on the front when you've full propane and fully loaded? That electric jack adds a lot of weight right at the ball. Is your fresh water tank in front or behind your axles? Be sure to keep your grey and black tanks as empty as possible. You may have to shift a lot of things to the rear of the trailer to compensate.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #3
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDogs View Post
So this weekend I added a Cargo Tray to the front of our Cougar 298RLS. I want to use this for various purposes including transporting our 2 Honda Eu2000is generators and the fuel tank for them...and the heaviest added weight will be with the genny's for a total of approximately 155 Lbs. additional tongue weight, which is well within my available maximum.
I'm told that this is the softest riding area for the generators and I am going up to Lake Tahoe region this weekend for our first try at dry camping with the Cougar. I'll come back here and report on how the trip went upon our return!
Sweet setup and a great idea!! I like that you can also secure your genny's to it with a cable and lock. Nice job!
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
theallde

Great setup!

Is this the Tongue Cargo Tray that Camping World sells?

Looking for something to attach my DISH Satellite to - if I get reception I would not have to move the satellite but if I didn't get reception I could just lift the satellite off and sit it on the ground.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
JimDogs

Yes, this is the same one, although I got mine from e-Trailer.com with their free shipping special. It worked fantastically to hold my 2 Honda Gennies for our latest trip. I also use this for my solar panel when not using the Honda's. I hadn't thought about it for my satellite dish, but since I will be mainly facing south this weekend at Lake Camanche I will try it for that also!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
theallde

JIMDOGS - It will be interesting to see how the satellite works from the cargo tray. Thanks for the update .... Don
Old 08-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
theallde

JIMDOGS - How did the satellite work on the tongue cargo tray?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
JimDogs

The cargo tray is great for mounting the satellite dish, provided you are in a position that allows for getting the dish pointing south-ish. I have a cable and lock that secures the dish to the tray to keep the honest folk honest!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00570 (2).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	9384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00571.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	9385  
Old 09-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
lspajm

Different topic but I saw in the photo--how do you like towing with your Reese dual cam?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
JimDogs

[QUOTE=lspajm;184720]Different topic but I saw in the photo--how do you like towing with your Reese dual cam?

I like that particular system! It is so easy to hook up and get gone. I haven't even needed to remove the chains from the hanger once, I just slide the bars into place and lift into position. Feels solid on the road and no sway noticed at anytime. Backing into a spot is quick and easy without needing to remove the old style FART bar that I used in the past. Get one and you'll not regret it!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:22 AM   #11
lspajm

reese dual cam

thanks -- i just got my reese dual cam installed last week -- did a little road test with it on the highway and then around town to do some corners -- since i read that you can really hear/feel the bars slide in and out of the cams. It was really noisey --especially backing into my driveway --- but it did feel pretty solid on the road. i am ready to get rid of those friction sway bars -- for a 35' camper i think they were a total waste. Thanks!!!
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote