Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
SummitPond

What makes a resort a "resort"?

What standards (if any) exist for the definition of a campground resort?

I ask as we spent the past three nights at a major chain "resort" and we were sorely unimpressed with value for money. We chose it as it was the closest to family (great niece 1st birthday) and in a reasonably good area (others were closer but the family said to avoid them because of the environs).

The facility charged a "resort fee" for each day we were there (over and above their camping fee), and we're still trying to figure out what benefit that provided us. Many campgrounds we have stayed at have all the "extras" this place boasted having without tacking on an additional fee - so other than more profit, what's the purpose?

The resort had a small pool and an even smaller hot tub. Many campground we've been to have pools, some much larger than this resort.

The office closed at 4 p.m. and is not staffed on the weekend. I know some of the smaller mom & pop places don't open the office if there is no need, but this place had over 250 sites, and there was a stack of paperwork posted on a bulletin board outside the door for the late-comers and weekend-comers.

The bathrooms were not secured with an access code, so anyone from the adjacent big box parking lot or the street could meander in. The shower facilities were OK but there was no privacy for changing.

The bathrooms were not serviced all weekend.

Even though the bathrooms were not secured, side entrances to the porch where the game room was situated were padlocked from the outside; the only way in or out of the game room was though a difficult-to-operate sliding glass door that connected to the social hall. I wonder about fire code for this.

The sites were packed in like sardines; utility poles and trees protruded awkwardly into several sites (ours included) making it difficult to maneuver the RV into position.

Of course it was by a busy highway, but at least where we were situated was reasonably quiet - but getting in and out of the campground (especially during rush hour) was quite challenging.

Lots of campgrounds will pick up your trash if bagged and put by the curb; not this place (they claimed they were too small).

Free Internet was available only at the social hall area; again, many smaller campgrounds offer free Internet broadcast throughout the area.

We have camped at numerous other non-resort campground and were more impressed with their facilities and bang-for-the-buck.

The front office staff (a single person) was friendly and helpful (although she was very anxious to close the office as we arrived about 3:45). I know employees don't set policy, so I'm not griping about them.

Yes, I'm venting somewhat, but back to my initial question: what constitutes a "resort"? I'm just curious, but in our humble opinions this place does not qualify by any stretch of the imagination.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
66joej

Sounds vaguely familiar. I think we have stayed in more than one of those "resorts". I think the owners just come up with a catchy name and charge accordingly.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

What constitutes a "resort"? The same thing that makes it "deluxe" , "luxury", "limited", "exclusive", etc. In my experience about a 20% upcharge in price and narcissistic attitude.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What constitutes a "resort"? The same thing that makes it "deluxe" , "luxury", "limited", "exclusive", etc. In my experience about a 20% upcharge in price and narcissistic attitude.
The same things I try very hard to avoid simply because you generally pay more for less.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:35 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you have to call it a resort...it probably isn't. Just sayin'.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
notanlines

Ken, might we ask what national brand RV "resort" you are staying at? And how many of us have heard of the resort upcharge? I might be inclined to give them a good leavin' alone!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

At least one of those "luxury resorts" that we stayed in for a few days a couple years ago has a "colorful past"... Seems it was a country campground that was going bankrupt because of a combination of problems ranging from washed out gravel roads, leaking plumbing issues, undersized and aged electrical grid, as well as problems with grounds upkeep and trash collection.

Well, according to "local legend" the owner signed a contract with one of the major "camping resort organizations", put up a new sign, doubled the daily camping fee and hired a high school kid to pick up trash and cut the grass. Other than that, it's the same campground, same electric grid and plumbing, same washed out gravel roads, but now there's a "evening glow from that big sign at the entrance".....

Sometimes, a resort is as much a resort as some emperors believe that they are fully clothed. Only in their own mind does the illusion exist, for the rest of us, it's still an overpriced, under serviced place to park without most of what we thought we were getting for the higher price we paid.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #8
madmaxmutt

LOL! All great answers and true.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
jsmith948

Just a thought...sometimes the local government will institute a "resort fee" or an "accommodation tax" - similar to a hotel tax. It could be that is why there is a "resort fee" added and has nothing to do with the level of amenities or the quality of the camp ground. We recently stayed at a new campground in Paso Robles, CA. Lots of wineries and upscale hotels. There were two or three added taxes and fees levied by the county/city. You would think that the tourism dollars would be enough...

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
notanlines

Jack, you are correct when speaking of added taxes. Memphis, in addition to 9.25 percent sales tax, adds on 6.7 percent occupancy tax. Welcome to Cook Convention Center and FedEx Forum.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
travelin texans

We stayed at Gig Harbor Rv "Resort" in Gig Harbor Washington, would never stay again. Our son lived there at the time so we booked a month, $750 + elec, most we've ever paid, the sites were all terraced going up the hill which made backing in a bit difficult with all the trees, the pool appeared to be filled with lime jello, YUK!, & worst of all we were in formed that July 1st started their "summer season" & rates went to $125 per day regardless of length if stay. SO MUCH FOR BEING A "RESORT!".
WOULD NOT recommend this resort to anyone, but unfortunately it's the only place around for big rvs, 100s of state parks if you have truck camper or small TT.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Pull Toy

If the sign maker charges by the letter, RESORT is cheaper than CAMPGROUND! LOL

For a TRUE resort, check out Normandy Farms! (Foxboro, MA) If you are a dog lover, check out the 2 acre DOG PARK!

https://www.normandyfarms.com/

p.s. If you're there next week, look us up! Site 919 for the upcoming weekend, then T19 for the rest of the week.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
gearhead

I think we should be calling out these rip-offs. At least sign up for a Rv campground reviewing website and flame them there.
I think I called out the KOA in North Little Rock most recently.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Ken, might we ask what national brand RV "resort" you are staying at? And how many of us have heard of the resort upcharge? I might be inclined to give them a good leavin' alone!
Jim

It is part of the Encore RV Resorts chain: "Winter Quarters Pasco" in Lutz, FL.

I received an email "rate us" survey, and I will let them know how we feel.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
LuvsPalmTrees

We stayed at a KOA recently (my nieces picked this year) and it was awful. I thought they had to live up to a certain "standard" to be a KOA. When I read the reviews I knew it was going to be bad, but, I can handle it for a weekend. Prices are high, not much to offer and run very poorly. The dump station is in the island when you come in and out so people leaving have to go around the people pumping out. The roads would bottom out most RV's. Not a good place at all. I emailed the KOA headquarters and asked them if they have ever read the comments for this place. I have never heard from them.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #16
bob91yj

The "resort" we live at is a nice enough place to stay, we enjoy it there, most of the people there are long term/permanent, it's certainly not what I would call a "resort".

http://www.champagnelakesrvresort.com/
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #17
FlyingAroundRV

In my experience, the more grandiose the titles, the more you pay ... end of story.

We went to a restaurant once and to read the menu it was like WOW! The food here sounds REALLY interesting... It wasn't. Their real talent was in marketing. The food was very ordinary. Anything that is really hyped up is usually not so great value. That's why I steer clear of most of the "as seen on TV" stuff.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
In my experience, the more grandiose the titles, the more you pay ... end of story.

We went to a restaurant once and to read the menu it was like WOW! The food here sounds REALLY interesting... It wasn't. Their real talent was in marketing. The food was very ordinary. Anything that is really hyped up is usually not so great value. That's why I steer clear of most of the "as seen on TV" stuff.
^^^This would be the case. The mom and pop places are more likely to give you an unexpected, super meal than those with the glitzy names and sky high prices. I've not been in one, one, exorbitantly priced restaurant that served food that was better than any other restaurant I have eaten in. Different? Yep. Weird? Yep. Tiny portions with 2 (TWO) green beans? Yep. But never worth the price nor did any of them make my taste buds water like some of the "country" back road places I've eaten - but then I'm weird and have not found any place that could make fried chicken crust like my mom....and I have the recipe......
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #19
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
but then I'm weird ...

Nope, not weird, just the marketers want to convince you that you are, so they can dig a little deeper into your pockets.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:12 AM   #20
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, blind them with bullsh....

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote