Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's do a "head count using bean counter logic"....

How many of us have a travel trailer?

How many of us have sold or traded our travel trailer because we don't like the quality?

How many of us "gripe" about the quality while we long for the day the dealer gets it fixed and we can go "break something else" ???

Seems pretty easy to understand from a "bean counter" perspective: As long as we're buying them, breaking them and wanting to use them, the RV manufacturers making money and they are going to give us what we will pay the most for, not what we'd like to have but won't pay for.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #42
Duster_Canuck

Keystone honored two claims this year on our up-graded tri-fold sofabed. Maybe because it was a supplier's product and warranty... The armrest on the same side caved in twice in less than 10 months. No problems in getting it fully replaced, and ordering/install only took two weeks... not too shabby IMO
Duster_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #43
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Well here we are again. I've had my new 27SABWE for 7 months and I'm starting to seriously regret making this purchase. We've had numerous issues with this trailer and had to fight to get them addressed. To many to list. The latest is leaking windows. I discovered 2 windows had water in the frames after a storm. Took it to Folsom Lake RV for warranty. The pressure tested my trailer to find 7 windows leaking. Keystone is denying the warranty.

Is there such thing as a lemon law for trailers?
sorry to hear this, i had no problems with my issues. I was disappointed in the quality of workman ship from KEYSTONE MFG. They seem to go the cheapest way and that upsets me
It also helps the place u take your rv and woe they write it up.
Keep fighting, your in the rights to get this repaoired under warranty
RANDYGIBSON
2017 KEYSTONE SPRINTER FIFTHWHEEL
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #44
Miles65

Two warranty issues quickly taken care of by my dealer, Crestview, in Georgetown, TX: My canopy bent on first opening. The dealer sent someone to my house, forty- five minutes away. Together, we replaced a side, in an hour. My propane detector was old/defective. New one was waiting for me when I got back to town, two days later. No issues with warranty, at this point.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #45
Nomadicchefs

We have nothing but problems with our camper as well. Keystone has never covered anything that was under warranty. Had we known they were so shady, we wouldn't have got this camper. The list of problems is almost laughable it's so long.
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #46
foldbak

Angry

Well...it continues. I took my trailer to the dealer to have the annual roof service done. $400 a year to maintain the roof warranty. They performed the process of washing the roof, resealing the dicore joints and brushed on the UV protectant. Then called me to tell me that the sealant was badly cracked and took two additional tubes a 1/2 hour more labor. Total additional cost $100. $160 an hour labor?

I arrived to pick up the trailer and got on the roof to inspect it. I noticed two white blobs of dicore. I asked the service writer what was up and he replied "oh they found that two of the staples were backing out so they sealed the top of them. And you're just now telling me this? Don't you think this would have been an immediate phone call? My trailers under warranty. Is this covered? "I dont think they cover that".

I got off the roof and asked him so this is it? This is all you got for me? I then asked for the general manager. The trailer was purchased in November 2017. I bought the extended warranty. One main selling point was the roof warranty. As it turns out the roof warranty only covers the roof membrane. The structural warranty (which runs out in November 2020) might cover the staples backing out.

After doing some research I discovered that this is a common problem. Roof staples backing out and popping through the roof material. @ Keystone (Don't you think screws would make more sense?)

The GM looked at my file and found pictures the the tech took of the staples and said she would have the service manager submit a warranty claim. I told them I wont accept and cut and patch job. The service manger told me that they have a claim in for a 5W for the same problem.

This trailers been at the dealer more then its been at home. I have a brand new cover that's never been on it because it's hasn't been here long enough to warrant covering.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Your staple issue is a common one and has been mentioned several times on this and other forums as I recall. I don't believe it will, or has, been covered as memory serves. My trailer did the same thing and I also have the roof maintenance done yearly. Where the staples tried to start backing out I put patches of Eternabond tape over them to keep them from penetrating through the membrane (about 9 I think).

I wish you luck with pursuing a warranty claim and if you have luck, or not, please let the membership know. At the same time I would caution that the possibility of a denial is very high and the staple situation is common and folks deal with it, plus it certainly isn't specific to Keystone. It's the nature of the beast when we want a large trailer built to travel the highways and byways that endures a constant earthquake going through the body and chassis....and we want that vehicle to cost peanuts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #48
foldbak

Sourdough I wouldn't say 40K is peanuts. Quite frankly I would have paid 60K for a trailer that was built to quality standards. All said and done, new trailer and tow vehicle 100K I could have bought a Class A that would have lasted the rest of my life.

It's sad to think that people are ok spending this kind of money for what's ultimately a disposable toy.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #49
travelin texans

Quote:
Sourdough I wouldn't say 40K is peanuts. Quite frankly I would have paid 60K for a trailer that was built to quality standards. All said and done, new trailer and tow vehicle 100K I could have bought a Class A that would have lasted the rest of my life.

It's sad to think that people are ok spending this kind of money for what's ultimately a disposable toy.
That $100k class A has ALL the same appliances, same building materials, same folks that don't give s### building them, most have the same roof membrane, & the same warranty, the ONLY difference is you'd drive it not tow it, wouldn't count on it lasting the rest of your life unless you're nearly there.
Good luck with your claim.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I'm not trying to trivialize the situation; just trying to be realistic. 40k is a lot of money for a toy, and that is what an RV is...certainly not an "investment" in the ordinary sense. In the realm of important, big expenses I think 40k for a trailer that some want to last a "lifetime" is, in reality, cheap.

100k for a truck and trailer isn't really a good comparison; at least not to me. I would have the truck anyway so that part wouldn't matter. 100k for a Class A that lasts a lifetime? I need to know where that is. We were set on buying a Class A when we retired almost 14 years ago. In fact had it lined up...but it wasn't 100k. 429k as I recall and I still had concerns about it. After putting my pros/cons list together as we were about to pull the trigger reality kicked in when the cons outnumbered the pros 3 to 1. Bought another TT and have been happy since.

To me, worrying about quality AFTER you've made the purchase is counterproductive and only makes one miserable. I've determined (found) that it's better to just take it as it comes in stride and do what you can to correct whatever it is because the RV world is what it is; that coming from a guy that is a WAY big type A person and will rail against the wind about many things....but the RV, the RV has taught me that is a losing game. I wish you well in getting things like you want.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #51
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Just trying to understand. Not looking for an argument and certainly not condemning nor criticizing .

If you "would have paid 60K for a trailer that was built to quality standards." why didn't you spend 60K if Keystone is not being built to your "quality standards"?

I'm interested in finding the "built tp quality standard" 100K Class A as well. Everything I've seen seen in a 100K Class lines have been entry level, stapled together, low end appliance models.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #52
chuckster57
Site Team

100K motorhome lasts a lifetime?

It will have the same appliances, staples holding it together, maybe a fiberglass roof. Then you have to deal with the Chassis, RV dealers that I’ve worked for don’t do chassis work and as such have to go to the Ford/GM dealer. Lots of them won’t work on motorhomes as they are too big to fit in a bay.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #53
notanlines

Foldbak, I simply cannot imagine either of two things coming true that you have on your Christmas wish list: Keystone replacing the roof membrane because of a few staples working their way up is number one, and number two is covering the staple problem under structural problems.
I'm not saying it shouldn't be irritating, but ain't gonna happen in my opinion. I had a new Chevy 2500 in about 2009 and the camshaft wore two lobes flat at about 12K miles. Not only did they not give me a new engine (which I certainly didn't expect) but they were not going to change the oil and filter. When I insisted, it came up on my bill until the service writer calmed me down and removed it.
Don't look for a new roof.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #54
foldbak

Just to clarify when I said 100K I certainly didn't mean a new class A. But the market is flooded with very nice well maintained motor homes that would suite me well. And when I say a lifetime I'm referring to the rest of my life at 62

At the end of the day this is my first new trailer and I guess I had higher expectations for a product being built in 2020! This is my 5th trailer and all my prior trailers were better constructed then this one. It's been at the dealership longer then its been at my house. The list of repairs are too long to mention.

Suffices to say that having to replace every single window because of improper installation kind of says it all.

Anyway I'll keep you updated on the outcome.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #55
foldbak

Roof update:
Keystone is actually talking to the dealership regarding warranty. Apparently the structural warranty may cover the staples backing out. The Service manager is coming to my house today to inspect the roof and take pictures for Keystone. This is pretty dam good service compared to what I have experienced in the past. Of course both the GM and Service Manager have been upgraded and they dont want to rack up anymore lot time on my trailer.....lemon law.

Fingers crossed!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #56
gearhead

I think I've said this on here before, maybe a couple times. If I had it to do all over.... based on my experience with my Bigfoot cabover, I would go get a Bigfoot travel trailer to start with. But, the price will bring tears to your eyes.
Or maybe an Oliver.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #57
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Roof update:
Keystone is actually talking to the dealership regarding warranty. Apparently the structural warranty may cover the staples backing out. The Service manager is coming to my house today to inspect the roof and take pictures for Keystone. This is pretty dam good service compared to what I have experienced in the past. Of course both the GM and Service Manager have been upgraded and they dont want to rack up anymore lot time on my trailer.....lemon law.

Fingers crossed!
You asked why staples vs screws? Have you ever seen a stick & brick home built where studs are screwed together. A staple gun.... slap slap slap and we are done. Screws take forever relatively. They can't use a nail gun up on the roof trusses as the trusses are a bit puny for a nail gun I suspect.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #58
LHaven

Quote:
Of course both the GM and Service Manager have been upgraded and they dont want to rack up anymore lot time on my trailer.....lemon law.
Lemon law applies to trailers in your state? Lucky you... everywhere I have lived, if it doesn't have an engine in it, the lemon law doesn't cover it.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #59
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Lemon law applies to trailers in your state? Lucky you... everywhere I have lived, if it doesn't have an engine in it, the lemon law doesn't cover it.

I live and work in California. I’ve only seen 3 or 4 factory buy backs in my years as a tech. OP: what dealership if you can say?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #60
foldbak

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I live and work in California. I’ve only seen 3 or 4 factory buy backs in my years as a tech. OP: what dealership if you can say?

Ya I dont expect a buy back nor am I looking for one. I just want my $40000 investment to last me awhile. I've already invested 6K in it. Onan, Aims, etc. At 62 I dont see buying another NEW trailer.

As far as the dealership I have no problem naming. Folsom Lake RV. They've been here as long as I've been here. One of the reasons I did business with them. Convenient. I could have gotten a better price and MAYBE better service but at a cost. I recently discovered their shop hourly price is $180. I about crapped myself. My Ford dealership is cheaper....

Anyway they've gone through some changes and hopefully for the better. I'm still a bit shocked that if I hadn't climbed up on my roof after the annual roof service prior to paying the bill and discovered the blobs of Dicor on top of the protruding staples....I wouldn't have known anything about. it. My next conversation.

Tags
keystone, warranty