Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

IN Command and GM Tow Vehicles

This is the second article (that I've seen) from Keystone that discusses how GM and Keystone have entered into a partnership to "seamlessly connect" several Keystone brands with the computer systems in GM vehicles....

https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav..._medium=Send+3

My question, and I haven't pushed for any answers this early in the planning stage, is who is going to "accept warranty repairs?" Keystone is great about saying, "Visit your dealer" Which dealer? RV or TV??? While I'm not a fortune teller and I don't have a crystal ball, I can see lots of unhappy customers being shuffled between their truck dealer and their trailer dealer, both saying, "Not my problem"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
curtthegreat

John, I agree with you 100%. Also, I do not see the need for this at all. I have the in-command, and I have never had my wife get on my phone and monitor our 5th wheel while in transit. When traveling, I know what my tank levels are, have no need to turn on my interior, or awning lights, and I am not worried about my generator functions. And like I said, if I was, I'd hand DW the phone.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

My grand daughter and her husband have an "automated house". They spend enormous (did I mention ENORMOUS) amounts of time chasing remote control locations, trying to get Alexa to hear them, adjusting/readjusting light brightness, TV volume, temperature in the spare bedroom, etc.

Last time we were there, it took 20 minutes to turn the back porch light on using "the system". I finally walked to the back door and flipped the switch. The comment, "Grandpa, we don't do it that way"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Tbos

I can see this as a future source of frustration too. I’ve found my iN·Command locks into travel mode when the RV is moved. Even if I connect via my phone I can’t put out awnings or do anything else until I go inside and disable the travel lockout. I’m not sure how this added feature will really help.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I can see this as a future source of frustration too. I’ve found my iN·Command locks into travel mode when the RV is moved. Even if I connect via my phone I can’t put out awnings or do anything else until I go inside and disable the travel lockout. I’m not sure how this added feature will really help.
Better than a hacker opening your awning while you are moving.

Seriously though, I deal with "internet of things" security on a daily basis. I wonder how secure any of this stuff really is. It's not trivial to (try to) keep the bad guys out.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
GeekSquadOfUn

From the looks of it, ASA the maker of iN-Command, is flirting with the automotive markets, I see a new option for TPMS for example. They may have other 'vehicle' friendly options in the pipeline.

As a happy user of iN-Command I do not see how it could be useful in a vehicle... Maybe except for monitoring my RV tire pressure.

We have the app installed on 3 devices, my phone and tablet and my DW's iPad.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
MattHelm21

How 'bout being able to start the generator and set the air conditioner controls to cool off a hot rig just before arriving at your destination from the cab(needed only in hot climates of course)?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
travelin texans

If it's like the GPS in vehicles you'd have pull off the road, put it park before you could use it anyway, so what's the advantage other than not having to get out of the truck, which I need to do every couple hours anyway.
MORE distractions while driving seems to me!
If they really want to help while driving, come up with something that disables all of the electronics once the ignition is on, only hands free answering, no keypads, monitors or dialing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Northofu1

Someone has to be the big shooter.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtthegreat View Post
I have the in-command, and I have never had my wife get on my phone and monitor our 5th wheel while in transit. When traveling, I know what my tank levels are, have no need to turn on my interior, or awning lights, and I am not worried about my generator functions.
In fact I've tried accessing inCommand from my phone while on the highway (e.g., to check interior temp or make sure we remembered to turn the furnace off) and it just doesn't work. The minute the system sees tail or running light activity (I think), it turns on a "travel lock" and won't talk to you except at the main console. I can't even extend the slide after we've set up at the campsite without going into the trailer and turning that lock off.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #11
ChuckS

I see absolutely no benefit integration In Command into GM tow vehicles. The vehicles are already loaded with tons of electronics. Much of this has reduce the backyard mechanics ability to repair issues himself. Most RV dealerships can’t even work on basic In Command system let alone new Global Connect.

The more crap piled into the tow vehicle means more dealership only repair if part replacement is needed. Without access to hi cost scan gun with ability to reprogram you can’t Replace many parts yourself because they require programming to be recognized by the vehicle.

Not my cup of tea

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My grand daughter and her husband have an "automated house". They spend enormous (did I mention ENORMOUS) amounts of time chasing remote control locations, trying to get Alexa to hear them, adjusting/readjusting light brightness, TV volume, temperature in the spare bedroom, etc.

Last time we were there, it took 20 minutes to turn the back porch light on using "the system". I finally walked to the back door and flipped the switch. The comment, "Grandpa, we don't do it that way"......
There is a story about a guy and his daughter's first house. He went to visit her the first time in the new house and started walking around it turning on all the lights and leaving them on. She said, dad what are you doing? He said I have been waiting years to do this!!!!!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I have been wrenching on autos "on the side" for over 45 years now and I actually welcomed some technology. For example OBD helped cut down diagnostic times and mis diagnosed issues. Now that its C.A.N. It takes more and more sophisticated equipment to "talk" to the patient. RVs are getting the same way, I don't do much diagnosis on the new electronic systems other than maybe a flow chart to fill out for the manufacturer, we are mainly parts changers in that respect.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
boagey

In Command

I like the Idea of the TPMS , I have looked at aftermarket systems and not pulled the trigger.

Our world is changing so fast, I used to keep up, don’t really care now.
boagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
LewisB

I don't recall ANY other issue discussed in this forum where there was such universal agreement (ha-ha)...put me down for won't work (travel lock) and isn't needed (check your black tank level from the truck? Really?). Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean we SHOULD do something.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle