Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #21
Jim2366

Just a couple weeks ago I had to purchase a new shank from etrailer. I had been towing my travel trailer with my Ram 2500 5.7 hemi then I purchased my new truck and since it was taller I had to lower the hitch. The back of the trailer was 5 inches lower then the front. The hitch was on the last set of holes on the shank and in two days I had a trip lined up to drive over 300 miles to Indiana to trade the trailer for a 5th wheeler. I live only 20 miles from etrailer and they had just turned the lights off but took my order and had the longer shank at 8am the next morning. I changed the shank and moved it down one set of holes and it leveled it to within an inch. I was thankful I had a socket the right size.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #22
Jim2366

I brought our new 2019 Cougar 361rlw home from storage that we purchased. I noticed the trailer s not level. The back end is lower than it should be .

Tonight I lowered the B&W 5th wheel hitch to the lowest set of holes. It was on the middle of the three positionss. So it will drop the front at the hitch by one inch. This weekend I will see how much it brings up the back. If not enough I will need help to adjust the trailer.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

For most applications, there's a "fine line" between trailer attitude and bed height clearance. As you lower the hitch or raise the pin box, you reduce the space between the truck bed rails and the trailer overhang. Raising the rear of the trailer is a "teeter totter" effect, as you do that, make sure you maintain at least 6" between the bottom of your trailer and the top of your truck bed rails.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
Jim2366

John,

Thank you for the advise, I will go over the storage and hopefully it will be a six inch space. When I hook up the trailer the truck only drop about an inch, which surprised me and I think has created the back being low. I will hook it up and find out tonight if I have the 6 inches. I am curious how much an inch adjustment at the hitch will change the back of the trailer too.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

My "best guess" is that the distance from the pin to the center of the axles is probably 2 times the distance from the rear bumper to the center of the axles. If that's close, then a 1" drop on the pin will be a 1/2" rise on the bumper. There's not a lot of change in bumper height by adjusting the pinbox a couple of inches one way or the other (up or down)…. For most trailers that I've seen, it's around 2:1, or twice as much pinbox movement as bumper movement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #26
Jim2366

I went to the Cougar today and hooked it up. With lowing the B&W hitch to the lowest position I still have a little more than 7 inches clearance to the bedsides to the RV. However, it did not do much at all to bring up the very end of the trailer. I am going to take it to e trailer to see what they suggest, and I emailed, Petes RV where I purchased it from. I am glad it is winter and have time to get it ready pulling it in the spring.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #27
Jim2366

I went to E trailer with my truck and 5th wheel and they had two guys look at it. They measured the trailer to see if it was level. They measured from the strip of trim that runs the length of the trailer. It was only 1 1/2 inches too low at in the back. They suggested that if I could lower the pin box one hole down, it should be right on. It will still have the 6-inch space from the trailer to the bed rails.

I had measured from the bottom of the skirt or trim which was not the right place. I feel much better knowing I will be pulling the trailer with the correct balance.

Thanks, Jim

2019 ram 3500 diesel Aisin and 4.10 gears dually long bed
2019 Keystone Cougar 361rlw

Tags
hitch, tow, tow vehicle