Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
cavediver

Towing with lights on.

I like to tow with my lights on. Sometimes I forget, I found a new use for 1lb propane tank thread protectors. I put one over the sensor. And I have lights, worked for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:57 AM   #2
notanlines

Jack, our new Ford came with an actual headlight switch on the dash. Amazing what they won't come up with next.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:10 AM   #3
cavediver

Leave it to Ford to come up with a switch on the dash in 2019 quite the innovators. I've been driving since the mid 60's and all my cars and motorcycles have had light switches (except newer motorcycles). Maybe I should look in to a Ford. My problem is I forget to turn them on during the day time when towing.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:30 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I don’t have DRL or AUTO on my ancient (‘94) truck. I don’t turn them on because I forget to turn them OFF if I don’t see them in the daylight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:45 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don’t have DRL or AUTO on my ancient (‘94) truck. I don’t turn them on because I forget to turn them OFF if I don’t see them in the daylight.
I have been driving with "Lights On" my entire driving life currently 52 years or so, dealt with many flashing lights at me early before it was "Normal" I can count on one hand the time I forgot to turn them off, and only once did it cost me a battery. Right after that wired a buzzer to the light circuit on the 79 F250.
You need to make it a habit, just like seat belts, yep had them for 52 years also, actually more like 57 years.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have a GM truck or many RAM models, chances are you have DRL's. If you have a Ford (except for some newer models), you don't (in the US). If you want DRL's on your Ford (and possibly on older RAM/GM trucks) you can go to the Ford dealership and they can connect your truck to their "service computer" and press a button to "activate the DRL feature".... Then, when the ignition is on, the DRL's are on....

If you have DRL's and are in the US (where they are not required) then you can go to the same Ford dealer, they can do the "computer magic" and turn them off just as easily as they can turn them on.

No propane tank plastic cap required.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
notanlines

Cavediver, i admit, i was having a little fun at your expense. And you were a good sport about it! I’
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

My SUV has DRLs and they come on/go off automatically. My truck does not but I drive with my lights on when towing and don't worry about it. If I forget to turn them off when I turn off the key the little "ding, ding, ding" sounds to remind me to turn them off. If I'm too quick with the key and don't hear it they stay on for a short bit then turn themselves off so I never worry about it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
cavediver

notanlines I understand. Just remember the old saying. We're not laughing with you we're laughing at you, or something like that. As for DRL's I have them on my truck but they don't turn on your trailer lights. I leave the cap on the light sensor until I get home again. That way I don't have to remember or listen to the "ding ding ding". Try not to make too much of this folks, it's all because of my forgetfulness. Don't make fun of me I have feeling too, well maybe not.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
notanlines I understand. Just remember the old saying. We're not laughing with you we're laughing at you, or something like that. As for DRL's I have them on my truck but they don't turn on your trailer lights. I leave the cap on the light sensor until I get home again. That way I don't have to remember or listen to the "ding ding ding". Try not to make too much of this folks, it's all because of my forgetfulness. Don't make fun of me I have feeling too, well maybe not.

^ Agree on the DRLs. We have had them in Canada for eons and contrary to what a lot of drivers think they do not turn on the rear tail/running lights.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #11
Northofu1

As soon as I turn my truck on, my trailer lights come on. DRL are mandatory in the great white north

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
MattHelm21

I have a different reason for driving with my headlights on. My TPMS booster is wired into the running lights and gets its power when the parking lights are on. That way I never forget to turn it off and drain the trailer battery because I wired it in there. I was also taught as a lad to never drive with only my parking lights on because it is easy to forget at dusk to turn your headlights on during the change in light conditions. For that reason, I’ve added “turn headlights on” to my checklist for towing and the little ding, ding, ding from Ford to remind me to turn them off keeps me in check when we get to our destination.

Edit: Are DRL’s implemented differently in Canada and the USA? In every car I’ve owned in the US with DRL’s, parking lights and trailer lights since it is the same circuit do not come on. Only the headlights usually at a reduced intensity and now on some models, the LED’s or Halo rings.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
Brentw

Most of us on this thread agree that head lights and markers improve visibility. DRLso are only part of the answer, if I were King for a day, there would be no light switch, vehicle starts..... all lights come on. Batteries and charging systems have come a long way.
Travelling 95 to Vegas about 2300, caught up to a car running only his DLRS, waved him over at next fuel station and let him know, he was appreciative, as he was in a rental and didn't realize.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
^ Agree on the DRLs. We have had them in Canada for eons and contrary to what a lot of drivers think they do not turn on the rear tail/running lights.
This is why I don't like DRLs, they should also light the tail lights. This is why I have made it a habit to drive with lights on ALL the time, not just when towing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #15
kjohn

We have a 2015 F150 with a switch. Although the headlights do come on, slightly dimmer than normal, I turn the switch on whether I'm pulling the trailer or not. Old habit from driving police cars. I see too many people pass me and have the rear end of their vehicle disappear in a cloud of rain or snow.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 AM   #16
SummitPond

There doesn't seem to be any consistency even within a particular vehicle manufacturer regarding DRL implementation.

We have a vehicle that has DRL, and when the sun goes down all the lights (parking, tail) come on automatically, and all shut off when you remove the key from the ignition (no need to manipulate the light switch on the dash at all). But on another vehicle (same manufacturer) this isn't the case.

I like the idea of wiring the TPMS booster into the running lights; I'm going to investigate doing that.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #17
Fishsizzle

Park lights all the way. Flip them on every drive. Ford guys: google Forscan. You can turn on/off DRL and other stuff like annoying double horn honk.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #18
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Never could figure out why they didn't just have the lights on vs DRL without tail lights.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #19
theasphaltrv'er

Unless I'm reading this thread wrong, I didn't read anything bout our setup. My '13 F150 has a setting at the far rotation to select running lights that will come on during darkness. It is also controlled by the ignition. I drive with the lights on always so I put a cover over the sensor so when I start the truck they come on and when I shut the ignition off they go off. They also turn on the 5er lights when we're towing. So I guess technically they are not DRL's but the actual headlights that are on.
OH! Also I can pull out the switch and the fog lights will come on but I can't just run the fog lights with out the headlights unless I turn the switch to just the parking lights then pull out the switch for the fog lights.

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #20
BulletOwner1

It's my understanding that cars built in Canada FOR THE US will have DRL's activated because Canada's laws say that any car built there require DRL's.

I've always had a small issue with DRL's. They take away any advantage motorcyclists, who are required to run with headlights to increase their visibility, have and are back to blending in with all the folks with DRL's.

Don't get me wrong. Lights in general do add to ones visibility.

Tags
light, lights, tow, towing