Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #41
Laredo Tugger

travelin texans quote:
"Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash & I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area. I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. We've towed through big cities such as Houston, DFW, Atlanta & all across the country & Seattle is the winner as worst drivers of anywhere. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back."

The reason for so many middle fingers is the strict gun laws. With very few firearms allowed to be carried in vehicles (without special permit) your going to get a large volume of middle fingers. I know in Texas and where I reside it is legal to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. You don't see many "road rage" videos of fist fights on the freeways in these parts. There's a reason for that.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #42
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash. I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area, I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.
Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd rather have someone pull a middle finger on me than a gun ... Any day of the week!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #43
notanlines

Easy boys, you're treading on thin ice. (Yes, all very interesting, but these things get hot in a hurry.)
When in Florida, it is big sport to the locals to not give an RV'er a break when trying to change lanes. I make a big sport of moving 30,000 pounds toward their lane instead and then grin when I get the middle finger salute. No end to the rudeness in this world.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #44
chuckster57
Site Team

Proper Towing speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Easy boys, you're treading on thin ice. (Yes, all very interesting, but these things get hot in a hurry.)

When in Florida, it is big sport to the locals to not give an RV'er a break when trying to change lanes. I make a big sport of moving 30,000 pounds toward their lane instead and then grin when I get the middle finger salute. No end to the rudeness in this world.

Train horns !!

153Db of pure joy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:14 AM   #45
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

In my mind, so take it or leave it at your discretion, I blame it on NASCAR and the Fast and Furious franchise. Everybody thinks they are Dale Earnhardt or Vin Diesel.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #46
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
In my mind, so take it or leave it at your discretion, I blame it on NASCAR and the Fast and Furious franchise. Everybody thinks they are Dale Earnhardt or Vin Diesel.
Ain't it the truth!
Also the internet!! Now you go online, fill out a few forms & BOOM you have a drivers license, nevermind that you've never sat behind the wheel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #47
coop341

60-61 is about 1800rpm, which is the peak of the torque curve and best mileage with a Cummins. I like to sit 60-61 whenever I can. Since I live on So Cal, really don’t get a chance until we get out of the LA basin, too much traffic. I will use the truckers to let me know if I should sit at 55. If they’re going 55, so do I. Out of California, 60-61, don’t feel comfortable going any faster than that, even though I consider myself a good driver.
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #48
CaptnJohn

At 60-61 you are not impeding traffic on a multi lane especially in a 55 zone. My Powerstroke is most comfortable at 65-68 at 1500-1600 rpm so I keep it there unless slower is posted. I never lost anything in CA so find no reason to ever find myself there.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #49
Hoodlatch

I’ve always received a lot of help here, posting or just reading other’s posts, so I’d hate to upset the group, but i’ll comment.

I’ve posted about this recently on here and can’t be more honest. 67-75 is normal. I’d prefer 67-70, but the normal flow of traffic on I-70, I-80 and I-90 is 80+. Here in the east, you are a hazard on a congested two-lane highway at 62 mph or less. I bought 81mph rated tires. Safer than a 65 rating right?
I would bet anything, that most of the TTs passing me at 75-80+ are rolling on 65 rated tires.

Most states have laws that state it is illegal to impede the normal flow of traffic. They don’t care who’s taxes paid for the road. Finding a route with a lower speed limit is usually the best option, if possible.
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #50
CaptnJohn

Interstates have a minimum speed of 40 mph. Unlikely to have a problem at 60 although I agree 65 is better. Pulling any camper over 70 is insane. Many areas have trucks posted speeds less than other traffic for a reason. Just because someone jumps off a bridge doesn't mean others should follow.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #51
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlatch View Post
I’ve always received a lot of help here, posting or just reading other’s posts, so I’d hate to upset the group, but i’ll comment.

I’ve posted about this recently on here and can’t be more honest. 67-75 is normal. I’d prefer 67-70, but the normal flow of traffic on I-70, I-80 and I-90 is 80+. Here in the east, you are a hazard on a congested two-lane highway at 62 mph or less. I bought 81mph rated tires. Safer than a 65 rating right?
I would bet anything, that most of the TTs passing me at 75-80+ are rolling on 65 rated tires.

Most states have laws that state it is illegal to impede the normal flow of traffic. They don’t care who’s taxes paid for the road. Finding a route with a lower speed limit is usually the best option, if possible.
Most multi-lane highways you are only considered impeding traffic at 45mph or lower in the right lane regardless of what the idiot waving his driving finger at you thinks. Myself and my truck are comfortable at 65 - 68 conditions permitting so we would simply pass you when it was safe to do so. Waving with all fingers extended. JM2¢, Travel Safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #52
Logan X

Just a quick note on impeding traffic laws. Impeding traffic is if your are going significantly less than the speed limit, not significantly less than the flow of traffic. Going “with the flow of traffic” is just a mob mentality excuse for speeding.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlatch View Post

You won't upset the group. We are just sharing opinions and experiences. I, and I think most others, learn from opinions that agree and disagree with my position.

As far as being a "hazard" when towing, I would first consider the speed limit. My travel in the "East" is limited to the SE as far N as VA and then IL (which isn't really true E). I don't think I've ever seen a speed limit over 70. My first trip to the E (non towing) I thought I would lose my mind because all the roads were 55 and folks seemed afraid to drive that - to a guy that came from a place where folks TRULY drove as though 80 was an entry level speed.

That said, you would have to consider those that are creating that "flow" of traffic over the speed limit as being the "hazard" and I'm sure law enforcement would agree if involved. I'm not sure about most states having laws about impeding traffic, but I am 100% sure you will not be cited for driving 60 on a 70mph freeway. Not so for the guy doing 80.

The more important point is safety; the degree you are "impeding" traffic on a freeway by driving 60 in a 70mph zone from a safety standpoint is dwarfed by the amount of danger you put yourself and others in by driving too fast to control a TV and large trailer. At 70+ you just can't do it safely - you do not, and cannot, control the situation - or your vehicle. Also, the speed rating of the tire is irrelevant past 65. It doesn't mean you can drive faster in a safer way IMO, it just means you might have a bit more "endurance" built into the tire as you drive 65. As always JMO/YMMV

I've seen many semi wrecks in my years of driving but had a couple of occasions that almost got me - both were due to the drivers going too fast and losing control of the trucks and both times I escaped by mere inches - one had flipped on its side and was coming straight at me across both sides of a little 2 lane mountain road; the other came around a curve on 2 wheels squalling and again across both lanes - right thru where I had stopped...until I drove off the edge into the scrub brush. I'm sure both thought they were "A-OK" until..... Maybe even had 81mph rated tires to make them feel safe???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #54
KeithBook

I keep it under 70. I prefer around 60-65. My tires are rated for much higher speeds.

Keep in mind you are pushing a sheet of plywood into the wind when towing or driving an RV. Your mileage drops off quickly as you go over 45. Test driving at 55 vs 65 or 70 and check your mileage. This has a greater impact on a gas engine as you start out with lower MPG
KeithBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #55
Hoodlatch

Yeah, to each their own... no hurt feelings. 25 years of pulling something around, haven’t had a white knuckle yet. I’ll just continue towing every weekend that I can like normal.

Want to start the next great debate? Ask how many miles/hours people tow in a day. I guess I’m dangerous in that decision as well.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #56
calbroome

I have blown several tires. (Another topic ) Glad I was driving no faster than 65. For all of you still rolling on the Road Kings etc. I would highly recommend buying some good tires. The tire makers blame it on us for pulling on neglected tires. Also when you buy tires check the age. Pep Boys sold me a two year old tire as new. It lasted 6 months. No more foreign tires for me. My 2 cents
Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #57
CaptnJohn

No more foreign tires means you eliminate the tire with the best reputation. I too prefer US made but safely comes 1st and therefore Sailun tires, made in China.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #58
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Just a quick note on impeding traffic laws. Impeding traffic is if your are going significantly less than the speed limit, not significantly less than the flow of traffic. Going “with the flow of traffic” is just a mob mentality excuse for speeding.
It’s exactly how the laws are worded. Speed limits change over time. The law doesn’t need changed with each 5mph increase. That has nothing to do with mob mentality unless you want to perceive it that way.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #59
Susan1955

I stay between 55 to 65 mph on highway with a Tundra 4X4 and towing a 30 foot passport. Slow down and stay alive. Remember your previous cargo.
Susan1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #60
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
...Maybe even had 81mph rated tires to make them feel safe???
Okay that gave me the giggles.

You make decisions in life to make you feel safe, I’ll do it my way.

I never planned on running 81 mph with my tires. But if my interstate average speed is 70ish, I’m not buying 65 rated tires. That’s no different than running a truck overloaded. You buy a more capable TV, even if your old truck could still “handle it”.

Tags
tow, towing