Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #21
66joej

With the new truck I set the cruise at 100kph (63mph) and the drive is relaxed and we arrive at our destination a lot less tired than with the 1/2 ton where using CC was out of the question. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #22
CrazyCain

Max 65 even with my little trailer..just feels right

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #23
FlyingAroundRV

I'm reminded, looking through the answers here that there are a lot of different situations that people are in. I have the luxury of taking my time going from A to B because I'm retired. Not everyone on here has that luxury. I'm also aware of the differences in peoples's leave arrangements, especially in the US compared to here in Australia.
In australia, everyone get 4 weeks annual leave each year from the first day of any job. This is a federally mandated allowance that was a benefit of strong union representation. I'm aware that this is not the case in the US and some people may only have a few days leave at a time and so they need to get to where they're going as quickly as possible, hence driving their rig at higher speeds.
So while I and some others here have the time to dawdle along the highway, we should also consider those with very limited leisure time who need to "get 'er done" quickly. This seems to be even more true these days with the way employees are hard pressed to be "productive".
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #24
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I'm reminded, looking through the answers here that there are a lot of different situations that people are in. I have the luxury of taking my time going from A to B because I'm retired. Not everyone on here has that luxury. I'm also aware of the differences in peoples's leave arrangements, especially in the US compared to here in Australia.
In australia, everyone get 4 weeks annual leave each year from the first day of any job. This is a federally mandated allowance that was a benefit of strong union representation. I'm aware that this is not the case in the US and some people may only have a few days leave at a time and so they need to get to where they're going as quickly as possible, hence driving their rig at higher speeds.
So while I and some others here have the time to dawdle along the highway, we should also consider those with very limited leisure time who need to "get 'er done" quickly. This seems to be even more true these days with the way employees are hard pressed to be "productive".
Good for Australia. You have the luxury of establishing "strong union representation" and keeping it supported. One of the benefits of being an "island" I suppose.Here in the good ole USA we have a labor force to our south that has eroded our union trades and benefits. That's a fact anyway you read it.
Four weeks of VAC on day one will remain a pipe dream in this country for a long,long time.
So yes,"life in the fast lane" has it's bearing on our lifestyle.
I will mark that one "True" on the test.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #25
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Good for Australia. You have the luxury of establishing "strong union representation" and keeping it supported. One of the benefits of being an "island" I suppose.Here in the good ole USA we have a labor force to our south that has eroded our union trades and benefits. That's a fact anyway you read it.
Four weeks of VAC on day one will remain a pipe dream in this country for a long,long time.
So yes,"life in the fast lane" has it's bearing on our lifestyle.
I will mark that one "True" on the test.
RMc
At the risk of hijacking the thread, union representation hasn't only been eroded due to cheap overseas labor, but also because people vote for politicians who legislate against the labor unions.

During my working career, I watched in dismay as politicians all over the developed world vilified unions and unionists at the behest of the politicians donors, then used the anti-union sentiment they had fomented, to essentially outlaw the unions. It happened here in Oz also, but not to the same extent as it happened in the US.

As I said, this is in danger of hijacking the thread and straying into politics, so best left there.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
At the risk of hijacking the thread, union representation hasn't only been eroded due to cheap overseas labor, but also because people vote for politicians who legislate against the labor unions.

During my working career, I watched in dismay as politicians all over the developed world vilified unions and unionists at the behest of the politicians donors, then used the anti-union sentiment they had fomented, to essentially outlaw the unions. It happened here in Oz also, but not to the same extent as it happened in the US.

As I said, this is in danger of hijacking the thread and straying into politics, so best left there.

We don't want to stray into unions/politics. I have been involved in both in my life, have strong feelings about them, but.....they aren't RV related. Let's resume our regular programming....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #27
msubobcats

Our tires are rated for 65 mph so that is our max... Would much rather be safe than sorry...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 AM   #28
jsmith948

If we leave our house in California's central valley and drive 373 miles @57 mph to our usual lay over point in Mountain Gate, Ca., our travel time will be 6.5 hrs. The towing speed in California is 55 mph.

If we travel the same route @65 mph, our travel time will be 5.7 hrs. In both scenarios I have ignored stops for fuel, bathroom breaks, etc. as they would be the same in either case.

So...why not drive a little faster and get there 48 minutes sooner?

Well...getting there sooner might be okay, but, is it worth the risks? I will be the first to admit that there are a lot of folks out there running well beyond the legal speed limit. But, if you are stopped, the officer will tie you up for at least 15 to 30 minutes. So now you are only going to "save" 15 minutes. The fines and fees, depending on the County, will be well over $200 and you will receive a point against your license which will result in an increase in your insurance premiums.

I drove the big rigs for many, many years and was ALWAYS in a hurry. Now, I just don't see the point in taking a chance to save a few minutes. So, if I'm holding you up, feel free to pass when it is safe to do so. JMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #29
CaptnJohn

I'm retired and never need to hurry. My LR G and new, rated at 75. On the interstate I pull at 65 - 68. No problem going around those at 62-65. Those running 50-55 are legal but asking for an accident. If not confident running at least 62 take the back roads for the safety of every one.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #30
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'm retired and never need to hurry. My LR G and new, rated at 75. On the interstate I pull at 65 - 68. No problem going around those at 62-65. Those running 50-55 are legal but asking for an accident. If not confident running at least 62 take the back roads for the safety of every one.
Well sir...nothing in my post referencing my level of confidence.
Lots of folks on the highways with a level of confidence that exceeds their level of skill.
So, in your opinion, those of us who choose to drive the speed limit are somehow unsafe? Don't buy it.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Well sir...nothing in my post referencing my level of confidence.
Lots of folks on the highways with a level of confidence that exceeds their level of skill.
So, in your opinion, those of us who choose to drive the speed limit are somehow unsafe? Don't buy it.

Your driving skills may be great but comprehension???
It was stated driving on interstates where the speed limit is 70-80. At 60 or so it is safe at 50-55 it becomes a hazard unless traffic is negligible.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #32
66joej

It was stated driving on interstates where the speed limit is 70-80. At 60 or so it is safe at 50-55 it becomes a hazard unless traffic is negligible.

I think jsmith948 was referencing the speed limit towing in California.
We missed the sign going from AZ to CA and were stopped doing 62 mph. No citation but a firm warning.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #33
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post

I think jsmith948 was referencing the speed limit towing in California.

We missed the sign going from AZ to CA and were stopped doing 62 mph. No citation but a firm warning.

Got it now. The CA speed limit is different than in the rest of the country, like almost everything else there. [emoji482]

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-15-2019, 03:27 AM   #34
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Got it now. The CA speed limit is different than in the rest of the country, like almost everything else there. [emoji482]
Wasn't that long ago that Texas had a 3 page list of PROPER SPEEDS posted at the border and if I remember correctly 55 MPH was the towing limit with ANY trailer.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #35
Bisjoe

Here in WA towing and total weight over 10,000 the maximum speed limit is 60, unless posted as less. Also, it’s illegal to be in the left lane if there are 3 or more lanes, unless there is a left exit that you are taking.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #36
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
Here in WA towing and total weight over 10,000 the maximum speed limit is 60, unless posted as less. Also, it’s illegal to be in the left lane if there are 3 or more lanes, unless there is a left exit that you are taking.
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash & I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area. I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. We've towed through big cities such as Houston, DFW, Atlanta & all across the country & Seattle is the winner as worst drivers of anywhere. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash. I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area, I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #38
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash. I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area, I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.
If they weren’t moving away, I’d say come experience Minneapolis/ St. Paul traffic. You would leave thinking Seattle is a walk in the park, IMO. And I’ve driven most of the big cities except New York and LA. The congestion here isn’t the worst I’ve been in, but the drivers are. Definitely.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

On our trip back home from Las Vegas, we drove through Des Moines about 3PM on a weekday. I "thought" it would be OK because it was just before rush hour and not a "terribly big city". Probably the most hectic city of our entire trip (and that includes Las Vegas on a Friday evening on the strip).... My guess is that it doesn't much matter if it's Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Denver, St Louis, Memphis, Nashville, Detroit (I could go on and on) or anywhere else, the "driver mentality" today is more, "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY" than "share the road that we all paid for"...... Imagine how it's going to be for our great grandkids when the population is 600 million rather than today's 300 million citizens......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

You know, this was touched on a few days ago in another thread.

Today's drivers are totally impatient, discourteous and, more importantly, have no clue what the laws or rules of the road are....and don't care. The most important thing to them is to not have to look up and take their eyes off their smart phone. And then, just go to a 4 way stop and watch the ensuing confusion because 3 out of 4 won't have a clue how it works...or a roundabout, or stop signs, or..., or....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing